Drink Packages

Dana T.

I am waiting to buying our drink packages on board.  I know that they are higher then.  Then reason is we are going to use are Royal Caribbean credit card points to pay for them.

Has anyone recently sailed on the Adventures of the Sea a bought their packages on board and if so how much did the Deluxe package and the refreshment package cost.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

You can redeem the RCL credit card points to add onboard credit for your upcoming sailing. Then you can book the drink package online using the OBC at the more favorable pre-cruise rate.  Note that some of the best prices I have seen recently are in effect currently for the drink package.

1 hour ago, Ogilthorpe said:

You can redeem the RCL credit card points to add onboard credit for your upcoming sailing.

You can also use them as a discount towards your cruise purchase price if you don't think you'll use all of your available points in OBC.  They're available in increments of $150 (15,000 points).  You'll save on the bottom line and be able to purchase the drink package at a more favorable rate. Same concept as @Ogilthorpe's idea, just a slightly different method.

13 hours ago, Dana T. said:

I am waiting to buying our drink packages on board.  I know that they are higher then.  Then reason is we are going to use are Royal Caribbean credit card points to pay for them.

I would be very surprised if there is a way to redeem the points while on board.  Do some searches here and I think you'll find posts where people have described redeeming their points and it takes a few days.  I would strongly recommend following the advice in the above posts to redeem for on board credit now and use it to pay for those packages before your cruise while they are cheaper.

The redemption website says you have to redeem 7 business days prior to sailing, and any closer than that you have to call Royal. There's no harm in redeeming what you think you may use, the amount redeemed is refundable if not used. This is different from OBC from Royal for booking, or from your travel agent, which are in the use or lose category. Words to live by: "NEVER leave OBC on the table"!! 

I figured I'd bump a related thread rather than start a new one about drink packages.  My girlfriend and I just booked a 7 day cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas leaving on 12/26/20.  Checked today and the UBP is $59 per day.  I kind of figured it would be a bit lower since Rhapsody isn't regarded as a premium ship (was hoping for $49).  I know that the trend is that prices don't go down, but is there likely to be some kind of a sale to knock it down a bit in the next several months?  I also know that you can always cancel and book it, but if the price might go down or at least stay the same, I'd rather not have another ~$950 hit on my credit card right after the holidays!

13 hours ago, TempoGL said:

I'd rather not have another ~$950 hit on my credit card right after the holidays!

If I have enough time before a cruise, I spread out the cost of drink packages over 3 billing cycles.  We usually sail with DH having the Refreshment package (he doesn't drink alcohol but likes the other options) and I have the Deluxe package.  I have the ability to purchase both packages at the same time, but I would rather not tie up funds earlier than I have to.  Here is how I make it work for us.

1st billing cycle - buy Refreshment package for DH - initial price doesn't really matter, but watch for sales 

2nd billing cycle - buy Refreshment package for me - price doesn't matter as I will be switching to Deluxe package

3rd billing cycle - call Royal to switch my package from Refreshment to Deluxe when I am ok with that price.  Check the Deluxe/Voom package price as that can be a good deal if you are also interested in internet access.  If both adults want the Deluxe package, you switch to 2 packages at this time and can make changes online.  I have to call to purchase 2 different drink packages.

Things to keep in mind:

The earlier you book a cruise, the easier it is to spread out the costs of packages.  I am willing to wait for a lower price for the Deluxe package and fully understand the price may never come down or even down to a price that is acceptable to me.  In this situation, I would stick with the Refreshment (at the lowest price I can get) and buy alcohol a la carte if I want something.  If the price for the Deluxe package comes down before month 3, I will go ahead and move to calling Royal to buy the 2 different packages earlier than planned.

Also remember that although the cost of packages are charged immediately, the refunds for price drops can take several business days to post back to your credit card and may not post until the next billing cycle.  I can handle the wait for a refund, but not everyone can so timing a re-price can be tricky for some.

hth

btw - I was on the Rhapsody NYE cruise for 2019 and the Deluxe package did eventually drop below $50, but YMMV.  That was one cruise where I did purchase my Deluxe package at a higher price than I wanted, but was able to step the price down to sub-$50 over a series of phone calls - I repriced twice in the same week.  I wasn't expecting the price drops due to it being a holiday sailing, but I took everyone I could find.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:02 PM, Dana T. said:

Has anyone recently sailed on the Adventures of the Sea a bought their packages on board and if so how much did the Deluxe package and the refreshment package cost.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

I pre-purchased the drink package and used my RCCL points to pay for it.. , you don't need to wait to use the points.. it's your earned money..