Bringing wine on the ship

rahemery52

It seems the policy is clear, two bottle limit per person, with a 2 bottle total limit per cabin.

s.gif

s.gif

Q:  Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gif A: 

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use on boarding day or while in port. Alcoholic beverages seized on boarding day will not be returned.

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. 

Link to Royal Site

Here is the language in the written policy:  "Guests may bring personal wine, limited to two bottles each per stateroom."  Why is the word "each" in that sentence if it is just per stateroom?  Very badly worded.

You're right. That wording is rather unclear.

I've never seen that wording, though. Where did you find it say that? I'm curious which part of Royal Caribbean would "own" that wording. :)

I did some searching and found that there is similar wording present in the Australia Terms and Conditions page. There, it says:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine or champagne onboard with them (either in their carry on or luggage) on embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750ml each per stateroom.

There, the "each" makes more sense as it's referring to the bottles being 750 ml each (as opposed to 750 ml total).

It is generally recommended that you carry the wine onboard with you and not put it into your checked bags. You'll get through security with the wine fairly easily (they may examine the bottles, but that's about it).

If you have it in your checked bag, you may find that your bag is not delivered to your stateroom and that you must instead go downstairs to the security office area and claim your bag, where they will probably have you open the bag to ensure that there's no contraband (non-permitted alcohol being the most obvious thing they'd be concerned about after X-raying your bag).

When I'm at the terminal, should I have my wine in my carry-on bag, or should I keep it in my check-in luggage?

Carry-on.  Per the rules, you are supposed to carry it on so they can verify it is wine and you have the right amount.  Plus, checking wine could cause one of two (if not both) scenarios to occur:

1. Wine bottle to break

2. Luggage flagged by security for possible prohibited alcohol, resulting in your luggage delivery being delayed and a trip to the "naughty room"

I usually take two bottles on with me.  I just read elsewhere on blog that I can take these bottles th the MDR and have them served with my meals with not corkage fee!  Is this currently true?  Has anyone ever done this?   I'm leaving in a few weeks on the refurbished Jewel, TA to Italy,and this would be a pleasant addition if true.

I usually take two bottles on with me.  I just read elsewhere on blog that I can take these bottles th the MDR and have them served with my meals with not corkage fee!  Is this currently true?  Has anyone ever done this?   I'm leaving in a few weeks on the refurbished Jewel, TA to Italy,and this would be a pleasant addition if true.

No corkage fee means just that no fee for serving clients their own wine.

Yes, no fee to have your own bottles of wine opened for you.