Oasis Helipad questions?

RCIfan1912

Even though still 4 months or so from our Oasis cruise still I was thinking of good places for sail away and totally forgot Oasis has a Helipad. I remember that being an awesome place for sail away on Explorer from NJ going under the bridge. Agree a good place for sail away on Oasis? How do you get to the Helipad, is it a pain to get to or is it a crazy maze to find? Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

The Oasis class helipad is not open to the public, it's crew only.

For full suite guests on some itineraries there may be a suite sail away party on the helipad usually mid cruise by invitation only.   If they offer it, it's offered once only during the cruise.

The new forward public outdoor deck in front of the solarium would be an incredible place for Oasis - Bayonne sail away but it will be popular.

Just now, twangster said:

The Oasis class helipad is not open to the public. it's crew only.

For full suite guests on some itineraries there may be a suite sail away party on the helipad usually mid cruise by invitation only.   If they offer it, it's offered once only during the cruise.

Is that something new because we sailed out of NJ on Explorer on the helipad? I saw videos of lots of people in the helipad on YouTube?

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

The Oasis class helipad is not open to the public, it's crew only.

The new forward public outdoor deck in front of the solarium would be an incredible place for Oasis - Bayonne sail away but it will be popular.

Pinnacles are often to these parties.

6 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I don't understand why on Voyager class ships you can but not on Oasis? It really makes no sense not to use that part of the ship. 

With that being said, that is the deal. What are some good, not really bad crowded places for sail away on Oasis with a 6 year old in mind?

Access to the helipad on Oasis class is not designed for public access.

27 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

So what places, spots on the ship are the best in your opinion for sail away? Keep in my this is NJ so going under the bridge will be fun.

Since the Solarium sun deck is for 16+, I would go up to Deck 16 for sailaway.  If you go aft by the Flowriders your son can be entertained watching folks participate and you should also get to watch sailaway from either side of the Abyss slide entrance.  If the slide is open after sailaway just take it down to the boardwalk ?

Otherwise deck 16 all the way around the aft and port sides until you get to the Solarium entrance is a nice place to watch.  If you can get up there early enough there are a couple of casitas that are nice to sit and hang out in.

I’ve done a sail away twice on Oasis on the helipad but it was a C&A event. 

As twangster said access to it is not from public area. From what I remember it was a hallway with cabins. 

On Freedom you can access it from deck 6 which you get to from deck 5 (muster deck) by a flight of stairs. 

2 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Is there a reason why Oasis/Quantum Class ship does not allow passengers on the helipad, versus like on other Class of ships?

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Been trying to get that answer for days now.

See response below from several days ago.  

On 12/25/2019 at 11:58 AM, Flacruiser99 said:

Access to the helipad on Oasis class is not designed for public access.

What sort of answer are you seeking?  Oasis class doesn't feature public access to the helipad.  Why wasn't the Schooner Bar located so it could have windows to the sea?  Why was a Hibachi restaurant added to this ship?  Why did they use live plants in Central Park and not fake plants?  Why don't Radiance class ships have a flowrider?  Why doesn't Quantum class have an Ice Rink? 

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

See response below from several days ago.  

What sort of answer are you seeking?  Oasis class doesn't feature public access to the helipad.  Why wasn't the Schooner Bar located so it could have windows to the sea?  Why was a Hibachi restaurant added to this ship?  Why did they use live plants in Central Park and not fake plants?  Why don't Radiance class ships have a flowrider?  Why doesn't Quantum class have an Ice Rink? 

Thanks for the sarcastic answer. The answer I'm looking for is it's perfectly ok on other classes of ships that have a helipad and for some reason not allowed in this class, although I guess it is if your the right guest, or status of guest. This isn't a choice of should they have a certain bar or restaurant or decor to a bar. This class has the same helipad as the others and the others have access. 

And no I did not appreciate your snarky sarcastic answer. Next time don't answer at all. 

10 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Is there a reason why Oasis/Quantum Class ship does not allow passengers on the helipad, versus like on other Class of ships?

Of course, nobody on this blog can answer this question for sure BUT my guess....the Oasis class ships have big “vents” that open in the helipad area.  I think they are associated with the bow thrusters but I don’t really know what function they serve.  They open quite suddenly (at least, to us it seems sudden) and I imagine that they are considered a safety risk.  They are quite large and present an unguarded edge and a pinch point.  This, along with other factors, I’m sure, is likely to be the primary reason passengers are normally not allowed in that area.  The truth ?  Who knows ?

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Of course, nobody on this blog can answer this question for sure BUT my guess....the Oasis class ships have big “vents” that open in the helipad area.  I think they are associated with the bow thrusters but I don’t really know what function they serve.  They open quite suddenly (at least, to us it seems sudden) and I imagine that they are considered a safety risk.  They are quite large and present an unguarded edge and a pinch point.  This, along with other factors, I’m sure, is likely to be the primary reason passengers are normally not allowed in that area.  The truth ?  Who knows ?

Yep, those doors pop open and seem to be some type of intake or vent  system. The small barrier around them would not be safe w/o supervision. Makes sense that they have the suite sail away party (with plenty of staff oversight) and then the area is restricted. 

4 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Yep, those doors pop open and seem to be some type of intake or vent  system. The small barrier around them would not be safe w/o supervision. Makes sense that they have the suite sail away party (with plenty of staff oversight) and then the area is restricted. 

See, this is all I was asking for. Some sort of good reason for the change. That's all I was asking for. Thanks. 

14 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

PS: Great Suite perk!

F87C2AEC-E471-4437-908C-37741076BAD7.jpeg

784DE6F4-8535-4C10-AFB0-F4D96841AE54.jpeg

Jealous, I am definitely jealous.? So when you say suite guest does that include junior suites because that is what we are going to start booking when my salary goes up in 2020 and then 2021. Junior suite or Grand suite next year or the year after. Does junior suite count for this perk? 

4 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Jealous, I am definitely jealous.? So when you say suite guest does that include junior suites because that is what we are going to start booking when my salary goes up in 2020 and then 2021. Junior suite or Grand suite next year or the year after. Does junior suite count for this perk? 

This Sunset sail away party is for Grand Suite & higher. 

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That makes absolutely no sense.....

Keep in mind the reason for the helipad in the first place is emergency evacuation of injured/ill passengers. Routinely allowing passengers in this area introduces issues such as items left on the deck (ie debris) and other things that may impair an emergency operation such as a hoist to a Coast Guard helicopter. By controlling the area, and allowing minimal passenger access, the crew can ensure that the helipad area remains ready for its intended purpose. Btw, the vents are in no way related to the bow thruster. My two cents as a retired Coast Guard officer. 

57 minutes ago, Salty Law Dog said:

Keep in mind the reason for the helipad in the first place is emergency evacuation of injured/ill passengers. Routinely allowing passengers in this area introduces issues such as items left on the deck (ie debris) and other things that may impair an emergency operation such as a hoist to a Coast Guard helicopter. By controlling the area, and allowing minimal passenger access, the crew can ensure that the helipad area remains ready for its intended purpose. Btw, the vents are in no way related to the bow thruster. My two cents as a retired Coast Guard officer. 

Please elaborate. Both vents are located at the bow of the ship. My first thought was forced air venting for the anchor locker area a few decks below. Makes sense that they may be related to the bow thrusters being up front. I agree re: minimal passenger access for the helipad.

• 1 year later...

I know this is way, way, WAY old...but for any who end up on this post via Google...

The primary reason why the helipad is open to the public on Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom classes, but not on the Oasis class is due to how the helipad is accessed. There is a lot of speculation going on earlier in this thread, but this answer is directly from one of the officers when I attended an officer’s Q/A session onboard. 

On the aforementioned Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom classes, the helipad can be accessed by walking all the way forward on the outside promenade (under the lifeboats). You will reach stairs and viola...the helipad. It is accessed from a completely public and open area.

On the oasis class, there is no real outside promenade. There’s the jogging track, but those who have sailed the other RCCL classes will know what I mean when I say that there normal outdoor promenade is absent on the Oasis class. If you were on the jogging track and went all the way forward, you’d be at the spa/fitness center, not the bow.

The helipad on the Oasis class is accessed through an interior hallway and a watertight bulkhead. THIS is the primary reason that it isn’t open to the public. When there is an event such as a suite sail away party, a crew member directs guests to the helipad from a meeting area and the crew has to open and close the watertight bulkhead.