CoCo Cay Pricing Getting Ridiculous

WannaCruise

On 12/26/2019 at 1:50 PM, Jill said:

Just a tip on the water park: we’re in our 50’s in excellent shape. The stairs on the tower about did me in! Lol 

The highest one really beats you up. 

We paid  $49 for our Mariner cruise last October to test it out before buying at $79/$89 for our Symphony cruise in May. 

Bottom line, the slides can be pretty intense. 

I don’t care to do it again. Glad I only paid $49 to find that out. 

Thank you @Jill - we paid $79 onboard at Thanksgiving and I have to say it was OK for a bit but the stairs are killer and really after you ride the slides a few times we were done. Not worth the money for us really.  Forget about the cabanas. As far as I am concerned RCL has out priced itself already on them. 

My first visit was on Harmony in June 2019.  There were 6 of us, my wife and kids plus my parents.  We splurged for a Oasis Pool Cabana and it was $499.  We used our onboard credit to cover some of it.  It was a great hangout spot, but not sure I’d pay again.

I did purchase two water park tickets for me and my son, they were $74.99 each. We went down the big slide after almost a 2 hour wait. We got there about 30-45 min after docking.  After that we went to the Cabana and never came back.  It was my fault for not going back later and doing some of the other slides, but my son got busy with other activities.

21 minutes ago, STB7481 said:

I did purchase two water park tickets for me and my son, they were $74.99 each. We went down the big slide after almost a 2 hour wait. We got there about 30-45 min after docking.  After that we went to the Cabana and never came back.  

This is my worry...and for us, we're going at our kids March Break and ship will be packed with kids.  Sounds like you even got to the water park early.

1 minute ago, WannaCruise said:

This is my worry...and for us, we're going at our kids March Break and ship will be packed with kids.  Sounds like you even got to the water park early.

We got off the ship as soon as we could.  I did go to the Cabana first to get that squared away, but once that was finished my son and I headed over.

Again, we should have gone back and done more things.  He got busy with the pool, lunch, and then the beach.  We had a great time don’t get me wrong, but I certainly didn’t get my money’s worth on the water park.

Had the good luck to have three cruises on Mariner in may/june and got to enjoy the new cococay before the pricing went nuts.

Went back in november and after picking up my jaw looking at all the prices, just sat at the pool for free(mostly because i couldnt find my favorite beach through all the construction).

If/when we go back again that would definitely be my plan, the zipline and waterpark were both nice but neither one is worth the prices being asked.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:12 AM, Ditchdoc said:

Prices are high. I'll stick to what's free and leave the rest to the elite that don't mind shelling out big bucks.

I am not elite.  We paid budgeted for this experience and enjoyed our day and the kids had a great time at the wave pool and slides. I find $465 for Deluxe Beverage Packet a ridiculous amount  of money for one person,  but a lot of people were paying that on our cruise.  Do you consider them elite too?

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Why?  Is the water park different when you’re on an Oasis class?

My guess would be that they are trying to limit the amount of people who purchase the water park (and maybe other excursions) to a certain number and with Oasis class holding 6,000 (?) guests if the price were low maybe too many people would buy, and with Mariner and Navigator being smaller they don’t have that same concern?  Or something along those lines.  Not sure obviously but just a guess

14 hours ago, Pooch said:

Why?  Is the water park different when you’re on an Oasis class?

No its exactly the same.. It has to do with Royal just charging people more when they are on Oasis class ships.. Its totally unfair in my opinion but that's the way it is.. 

We are just back,  at Coco on Dec. 30th on Allure. We went every where Chill, Thrill, Ocean, and the Pool and the crowd felt smallest at the water park. It was $119.oo prior to cruise to book.  No where was over crowded but we only had Allure in port. Great time, might have been my favorite port! I heard one couple say that " a water park for $120.oo per person,  ridiculous, as a family of 5 were out"!  We scored the cabana early on for $549.oo and prior to sailing it was 3 grand. Why was I in the know...... this cool site. Thanks

20 hours ago, JenLA621 said:

Just checked our harmony July cruise. It’s $131.99!  At that price we will only get it for our high schooler. We were planning on all four of us but not at that price. I imagine it will be long lines and hot weather.  This is making an Atlantis $$ excursion look almost reasonable. 

We were their last week and they give you a 1 hour time slot for  the tallest ride on the tower. This gets you one run on that slide and about,in our experience a 30 minute wait. After 3:00PM you could go back and ride that big one all you wanted, and I'd estimate the wait about 30 min. The rest of the slides were no wait to 10-15 minutes. We didn't find the water park crowded. We were the only ship in port, but we were on the Allure. We had a wonderful day, and when you consider that many private beach clubs run around 100 bucks a day, it is reasonable. Yes you get the food and drink for nothing at CC C but the clubs don't have a water park. If we ever cruise without the boys 17 & 20 Y.O. we would skip the park even though it was a blast. For me though the real fun was being with them and my bride.  Just the two of us would chill at the pool and beach.

• 4 weeks later...

So, it appears that the pricing is all over the place from around 80+/-  to 175+/-   depending on the ship or cruising date / time of year.  I guess this is RCL's version of 'The Price is Right' or maybe it's the 'Wack a Wammy' game.  Right now, for our Harmony May 31 cruise it is $131 for the 'Thrill Waterpakr - Full Day'.  We are trying to decide if we want to pick it up.  

Here's a few questions that maybe everyone can help answer:

1) What the 'heck' does it all include, as the description is sorta vague.  the pass doesn't state explicit details on what is included (does it include the balloon ride?  does it include the zip line)  I'm seeing the balloon / zip line as separate purchases on the planning, but there is not a 'Thrill Waterpark + Zip Line or whatever' 

2) Has anyone purchased well in advance, but then got on board to see a ton of signs trying to 'sell' the same packages but at a little discount (or higher?)  Basically, trying to decide if it's worth it to grab it now to make sure we have one to be able to enjoy the stuff or are there always the same 'package' you can buy once on board.

My thoughts are this; we can go to a water park, about 20 miles away, any time, for much much less. We're going to be an an island in the Caribbean, I want my kids to play on the beach, go snorkeling, etc. Things that they can't do at home.

No way am I paying $150 for three kids to ride on water slides when there's a beautiful beach just yards away.

5 minutes ago, HendersonPhoto said:

I want my kids to play on the beach, go snorkeling, etc. Things that they can't do at home.

Not sure how old your kids are, but there's actually a pretty impressive kids splash area called Captain Jack's Galleon OUTSIDE of the waterpark that's completely free for use.  

I agree!  Going for the first time 03/15/2020 on Anthem,   when I booked cabanas were $499.00 now $1000.00!!!   I didn't book because I couldn't even justify the lower cost for what basically seems to be a posh lean-to!   I thought it would be nice for my mom and elderly aunt but they will make do with loungers, umbrellas and me to wait on them!?

5 hours ago, TheHobbys said:

So, it appears that the pricing is all over the place from around 80+/-  to 175+/-   depending on the ship or cruising date / time of year.  I guess this is RCL's version of 'The Price is Right' or maybe it's the 'Wack a Wammy' game.  Right now, for our Harmony May 31 cruise it is $131 for the 'Thrill Waterpakr - Full Day'.  We are trying to decide if we want to pick it up.  

Here's a few questions that maybe everyone can help answer:

1) What the 'heck' does it all include, as the description is sorta vague.  the pass doesn't state explicit details on what is included (does it include the balloon ride?  does it include the zip line)  I'm seeing the balloon / zip line as separate purchases on the planning, but there is not a 'Thrill Waterpark + Zip Line or whatever' 

2) Has anyone purchased well in advance, but then got on board to see a ton of signs trying to 'sell' the same packages but at a little discount (or higher?)  Basically, trying to decide if it's worth it to grab it now to make sure we have one to be able to enjoy the stuff or are there always the same 'package' you can buy once on board.

No Zip Line , in their words "This feature crosses above Thrill Waterpark℠ but is separate from the park, with its own cost." Not sure about balloon but probably the same. They want as much money from you as possible. 

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

A for-profit business charging what people are willing to pay? I'm shocked, lol

Haha yep.  It's always been like this in business, maybe sticks out more here because this is a new category and a new kind of experience.

Supply and Demand.  Kids want the waterpark.  RC wants to maximize profits and also has a limited capacity for the rides.

I feel the same way about the cabanas and the new beach club.  To me, it's highway robbery for one 6 hour experience but some people clearly have a lot of money and want the status, they want to be seen and want to be pampered.  It's like anything else, there are plenty of cars that can drive you from point A to point B, watches that can tell time and hand bags that can hold your personal items; just happen to be some out there with a different logo and a few extra zeroes at the end of their price tag.  Companies wouldn't keep making them if they didn't sell.  

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

its the people that are willing to pay those amounts that shock me......:35_thinking:

Just like some people can sail for $1.000, $4,000, $9,000 other people are sailing for $15,000, $25,000 and more.

With 20 overwater cabanas when all built and 10,000 people (or more possible) when 3 ships are in port...demand outstrips supply so prices go up.

I'm there in April.....only Grandeur will be there....OW cabana was $999 (approx 2k people at cococay at that time)

I'm there in Dec....Anthem and one of the larger ships will be there....OW cabana was $3999 (approx 8k people at cococay at that time)

I get it.....I cant afford  $20,000 Starclass..but I can afford a $500 Interior

Cococay doesn't work like that......its high prices for everything.,.so not a fair comparison..they basically price out a large percentage of their customers...

And I get the over water Cabana's being limited..but the waterpark is not on the same level and normally would appeal and be affordable for most ppl....

I think the fact that so many people are surprised and questioning the price  across many different sites(not just this one) speaks to the issue......you can fool all of the people some of the time..but you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time

Eventually they are going to price themselves out of the market, or else only appeal to the upper-class in society if they keep raising prices like they have(and I don't mean just the water park example)

if we were a family, cruising would be very quickly becoming not an option......

We will be there next week.  There are still both beach and OTW cabanas available and the price has remained very steady (no big jumps or slumps) since they became available for booking.  That makes me think that they are not in particularly high demand for our sailing.  The day pass to the Club, however, must be selling pretty well.  The prices on that have been all over the place with $50.99 PP the lowest (this is the price we paid) and today’s price, $93.99 PP.   As far as I know, Anthem will be the only ship there that day.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We will be there next week.  There are still both beach and OTW cabanas available and the price has remained very steady (no big jumps or slumps) since they became available for booking.  That makes me think that they are not in particularly high demand for our sailing.  The day pass to the Club, however, must be selling pretty well.  The prices on that have been all over the place with $50.99 PP the lowest (this is the price we paid) and today’s price, $93.99 PP.   As far as I know, Anthem will be the only ship there that day.

Do you know what is included on Beach club only pass?

Just now, mook1525 said:

Do you know what is included on Beach club only pass?

No, not really.  I believe everything except cabanas and drinks are included but I really don’t know for sure.  If you have the UBP then drinks ARE included.  I know food is included.  The pool and loungers are included as far as I know.  I will have to ask the Suites Concierge  about towels.  Not sure if we have to bring towels from the ship or not.