DISCUSSION TO FOLLOW THE NEW "ROYAL SUITE CLASS"

bdchili

Starting May 1st, 2016 as most of us know RCCL is starting a new program for guest staying in Suites on Oasis and Quantum Class ships.  There are several posts on this forum and Cruise Critic describing what it will include when launched.  Matt has discussed what we know at length on his Blog and Podcast as well.

This is what I would like this topic to be a place holder for:

1. If you are sailing in a suite on an Oasis or Quantum Class ship in May or June 2016, could you please say when and what class, STAR, SKY, SEA
  2. During or after the cruise could you give a brief discription of what the experience was like.  If you are sailing SEA or SKY the differences may not be "in your face", but we won't know until launch in May.  Now, STAR class is something completely new to RCCL and this is where I am really curious.

I am sailing on the Allure June 12th, I will be in STAR class (A1 Aquatheater 2B), I am an uber planner and the grey area that I find myself in makes me nervous.  All the newest information from RCCL both online and from the people at C&A tell me "don't pre-reserve, let the Royal Genie do it all."  I was told the whole point is to create a stress free and all inclusive vacation experience for the STAR class.  I believe them but....being that I am sailing a month after the program starts there is NO actuall feedback yet.

Bottom line:  If you are sailing in MAY, JUNE or JULY in a suite....use this a placesetter for feedback so everyone can benefit.  If you see info on Cruise Critic Forum cut and paste to this one since it is smaller and easier to find information.

Thanks

I am sailing in STAR CLASS in Feb on Harmony.. So I am looking to see what everyone in the next coming months have to say... I am also an UBER planner and very nervous about just letting the Genie do everything for me.. So I cant wait to hear what people in the next coming months have to say

There has been a point of discussion on CC about the beverage package with the new suites packages.

Apparently, originally the plan said "Ultimate beverage package" and now it's says "Unlimited beverage package".

Since all 4 of the RCI beverage packages are considered "unlimited", I am concerned that they are switching the ultimate drinks package for something less inclusive.

Any ideas ?

really cannot wait to see how this all plays out and if clients are really going to like it on the ships

Other my elite cruise ships and lines have done this for awhile but its going to be a different

feel on these ships - Can't wait to hear first hand reports

I was able to get my hands on one of the original Suite Life brochures that shows definitively that the Ultimate drinks package as well as a 7-day access to the Thermal suite is included.  That old brochure has been taken down now and replaced with the one that shows "unlimited beverage package" and "1 day pass to the Thermal suite".

I hope that by having that old brochure and knowing that I booked at a time when these were the benefits, I will get the full week of the Thermal suite and the Ultimate drinks package.  It also says "complimentary fitness classes" where the new one says "complimentary fitness class".  Now...those of you who know me know that I am NOT going to be pounding on anyone's door to demand they let me into a bunch of fitness classes  :)....but it's just one more of the benefits that has scaled back over the past few months.

Who knows...

Guess I'll find out in Feb. 2017 !

Will you please share The original brochure that shows 7-day thermal suite and Ultimate drink package?  I am sailing May 1st and will help clarify what is covered and what is not.  I need the details from RC and will share with this group my findings.

Dr. Amy

Can I have copy of anything that you have that is Ultimate Beverage Package versus Unlimited Beverage Package?

The Ultimate Beverage Package is one kind of Unlimited Beverage package.  I think you're confusing the various terms.

Here is more info on the Ultimate package: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/07/01/depth-look-royal-caribbeans-ultimate-drink-package

Will you please share The original brochure that shows 7-day thermal suite and Ultimate drink package?  I am sailing May 1st and will help clarify what is covered and what is not.  I need the details from RC and will share with this group my findings.

Dr. Amy

Here is the Original brochure I linked to another topic when they first announced the program.  While I remember reading something about the 7 day thermal spa access, this one doesn't mention but does state Ultimate Drink Package.  If you cant download from my dropbox PM me your email and I will email it to you.

https://www.dropbox.... Class.pdf?dl=0

I do have the brochure that shows the 7 day Thermal Spa access and Ultimate Beverage Package.  I was going to upload it to your Drop Box link but couldn't see how to do that.  Sorry...I always have trouble with Drop Box. Maybe I have to have permission from you to put anything in your box...I guess that makes sense.

Ok, so thanks to WAAAYTOOO here is a copy of the old brochure, just in case anyone wants a copy for "future discussion" with RCCL pertaining to STAR CLASS or any other class if they change the perks. I have always found that majority of the time, if they have changed something but you can show that part of your motivation to do or purchase something was different when you decided, if approached reasonably RCCL will make it right.  I think that some of these subtle changes can be handled exactly the same way.  I for one will probably wait until I actually speak to the Genie, maybe even in person and enquire, that is if it hasn't already been changed back.

Here is a link to my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckhbh8z5j5982lg/original%20Suite%20Life%20brochure.pdf?dl=0

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I received a Survey Monkey questionnaire from RCL that is a Star Class pre-cruise questionnaire.  The questions are very interesting to say the least.  Has anyone else recieved this yet and how did you answer the questions?  DId you answer them as cruise specific or in general.  It appears they are trying to get a general stamp on what your party is like.  Here are a few of examples:

1. WHAT WOULD CONSTITUTE A "PERFECT" DAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?
  2. WHAT IS THE BEST SURPRISE YOUR FAMILY HAS EVER HAD?
  3. GIVEN THE CHOICE OF ANYONE IN THE WORLD, THROUGHOUT HISTORY, WHOM WOULD YOU WANT AS A DINNER GUEST OR GUESTS?
  4. NAME THREE THINGS THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY LOVES DOING TOGETHER WHILE ON VACATION.

These are just four but...you can tell they are asking some interesting questions

Brian - you must be getting close if you have already gotten the survey !!!  WOOHOO for you !

No, I have not gotten one yet b/c I don't go until Feb. 17 (sigh...)

I have been reading about it on CC.

To be honest, from what I have read so far, I'm not sure how useful this information is going to be.  It seems like they are asking some pretty obscure and [useless ??] questions.  I have also seen and heard that the questionnaire is quickly evolving as some have already seen the questions changing.

I imagine that the point of the questionnaire is to get an idea of what kind of requests they might get from you but honestly, most of them are so "out there" that I cannot see them being of much value to the genies...really.

I can tell you....the group that I cruise with...will NEVER answer these questions.  They will hit the delete button and forget they ever got it...but I guess the genies will use whatever information they get and guess about those that don't answer the questionnaires.

Something else I have read about is the "Loop" app that they send you about 1 week prior to your cruise.  This is, apparently, the way the genies want you to contact and stay in contact with them.  It is a kind of IM, I guess.

From everything I have heard, so far, the genies are a big hit.  I can't wait to meet mine !

Here are a few of examples:

1. WHAT WOULD CONSTITUTE A "PERFECT" DAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY?
  2. WHAT IS THE BEST SURPRISE YOUR FAMILY HAS EVER HAD?
  3. GIVEN THE CHOICE OF ANYONE IN THE WORLD, THROUGHOUT HISTORY, WHOM WOULD YOU WANT AS A DINNER GUEST OR GUESTS?
  4. NAME THREE THINGS THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY LOVES DOING TOGETHER WHILE ON VACATION.

Thank you for sharing.  I think this is really intriguing.  

The whole Royal Genie service is more than just having someone bring you a soda and compliment what you are wearing.  I think RC is really interested in WOW'ing guests with service that is not just "a really nice stateroom attendant".

With answers to these kinds of questions, I think someone could make reasonable ideas of what makes you happy without having to be told necessarily.

Brian, I cant wait for you to go on yoyr cruise and come back and tell us all about the Star Class and Genie service! I am sailing in Feb in Star class, actually happens to be the same sailing as Raye (Waaaytooo) So I cant wait.. I have been following on cruise critiic some people who were on Ovation and omg they were wowed right away.. The second they got to the pier the Genie was waiting for them with a big sign for their son that said happy birthday. Then the Genie walked them right on the ship and there was a huge birthday cake waiting for their son in the shape of a cruise ship it was so cool. When i go it will be a week after my fiance's birthday so we plan to celebrate on the ship and I hope they make him a huge cake like that! But again make sure you take alot of pictures and let us all know about the Star class and Genie's..

Brian, I cant wait for you to go on yoyr cruise and come back and tell us all about the Star Class and Genie service! I am sailing in Feb in Star class, actually happens to be the same sailing as Raye (Waaaytooo) So I cant wait.. I have been following on cruise critiic some people who were on Ovation and omg they were wowed right away.. The second they got to the pier the Genie was waiting for them with a big sign for their son that said happy birthday. Then the Genie walked them right on the ship and there was a huge birthday cake waiting for their son in the shape of a cruise ship it was so cool. When i go it will be a week after my fiance's birthday so we plan to celebrate on the ship and I hope they make him a huge cake like that! But again make sure you take alot of pictures and let us all know about the Star class and Genie's..

I gotta say, I always get fired up when I start getting emails before my cruise but this one really made me smile. BTW, which CC topic are you following that they are already giving feedback. I thought they would "soft open" the program but hadn't seen any information yet.

The reason for posting in this topic will become clear at the end!

My newest Wow was when I booked the Grand Loft Suite on Harmony Oct. 23, 2016  Busan & Nagasaki Cruise.  Everything was a hastle, getting my Visa's, arranging my own hotel accommodations because they are so new in china they did not have pre and post cruise hotel packages at the time.  I also had to book my own flights for the very same reason.  I booked my Tours for pre and post cruise as well.

I called RCCL to verify everything and to make the final payment to secure this WONDERFUL cruise I was about to take.  The "Vacation Planner" and I went over everything on the Star Class Suite Benefits Brochure (Old Brochure not new. Which hopefully I can attach) because I had a couple of questions.

1. Complimentary Specialty Restaurants

Q: Does this mean Free Specialty Dining every night?

2. Complimentary VOOM Internet.

Q: Is the Internet WIFI connect throughout the ship or will an Ethernet cable be required to "Plug in"

The "Vacation Planner" was unsure about the Specialty Restaurants question so she put me on hold to ask.   HOLD ON HERE COMES THE W@W!

When she returned she was a bit hesitant  to speak and began by saying "I am sorry but it is not included!"  I responded with what is not included? the every day Specialty Restaurant or just one time Specialty Restaurant?"

She said "Sir I am very sorry but nothing is included. There are no Royal Suite Class amenities offered on Hong Kong sailings.  I asked if she could please show me where it is written on their  website that it is not offered for this sailing.  We both went to the website as I have the URL copied because I was so excited to enjoy this Suite and Ship.  Needless to say neither of us could find where it was written anywhere on the web pages.

I became furious and didn't want to take it out on her and thanked her for her help and immediately called international customer relations to cancel everything I could.  I had a terrible time cancelling my flight but was able to cancel most everything else.  I had to eat the cost of my Visas ($400) and was finally offered credits for my Flight to use at another time.  I sent emails to everyone I could at RCCL including Mr. Bayley.  I not only received an email response, I received a call from the "Executive Office" on Mr. Bayley's behalf.  End results were that they stated they were sorry for the misunderstand and that I was unable to see that the Hong Kong sailings are clearly marked on the website as excluded.  He had nothing to say when I sent him and Mr. Bayley screen shots of the old website and the new website showing that they changed pages and finally added the exclusion so no one else would hopefully go through what I did and tried to make me believe that it was my mistake. (Remember to always take those screen shots).

Before the gentleman hung up he said that he would like to offer me one night Specialty Dining on my next cruise!    HAHAHAHAHA!

post-2711-0-58078000-1461704502_thumb.jpg

Brian, it was a post i saw about 3-4 days ago.. Someone on the 3 night SouthHampton Sailing on Ovation posted their experience. Besides what I told you they said that also everynight their Genie walked them to a restaurant and then came to get them when it was over so that they could personally walk them to the theater to see a show and the Genie already had reserved seats  for them in the front row. The poster went on to say how much they loved the Star class and the Genie and she wished they were on for more than 3 nights... Then on CC Someone else is on Ovation right now and said when they get off they will do a report explaining everything so I am waiting to hear that.. So far everything sounds amazing to me and I just cant wait for my Harmony cruise.

So my husband, me and our mothers leave on the May 1st Allure of the Seas cruise.  We are in the 2 bedroom Aqua Theater Suite.  To date, our booking process has been a nightmare.  We couldn't get a straight answer from anyone and the information kept changing.  First things were included (any activity on the boat, the cabana on Labadee, drinks, etc.) then things were not included and would be a fee. Finally I complained to Michael Bayley's office and was assigned an assistant to try to help.  Even she had problems getting information so I came to the conclusion that the poor customer service comes from the top.  His office doesn't return emails and calls unless you hound them.  They do answer more quickly if you copy him on all of the emails to his underlings.  So booking nightmares aside, we have figured out that the specialty dining and all of the drinks (alcoholic and otherwise) are included in our ticket.  The cabana on Labadee isn't but we got a credit because I found a flyer with $175 price tag for the beach cabana and they were trying to charge me $495.  We got all of our excursions booked ahead of time.  We also got the spa visits booked ahead of time though it was a lot of trouble.  I am glad we did.  Originally they said just wait until the first day of the cruise and use your Genie but I was told even by the executive office and the Genie to book before the cruise.  RCCL did send a weird survey which I don't know how it will help them make it a better cruise experience but we'll see.  I was contacted by my on boat Genie this week.  He seems nice and seems to have an attitude that may make up for the rest.  Again, we'll see.  We're going to renew our vows on Cozumel and the Genie said he will help with arrangements.  Again, he seems earnest.  I think RCCL could make this whole experience better by helping define what to expect and by putting together better documentation about what is covered and what is not....but then again I think they make all of their money by charging people excessive prices for items they don't expect to have to pay for.  I'll let you know how the cruise goes.  Again, if you have any problems with booking or finding out what is covered, call Michael Bayley's office and ask for Noreen Dwyer Roach.  She'll find the answer.

It is to be expected that RCL or any company for that matter will have a learning curve for a new program especially one that is so different than anything they have done before. Good thing is they have already begun trial runs of the program on Ovation and the feedback has been exceptional so far on board.

BigKarl

I can understand you are upset and I absolutely  agree Royal handled this wrong.  Hong Kong has present many issues for Royal, from the two cruise terminals to the type of core customers they are getting on these cruises. The majority of travelers out of Hong Kong seem to be from South East Asia, followed by Australia New Zealand as a group.  While Americans can and do enjoy these cruises the experience is not the same as US cruises. I believe the reason they are not offering the Royal Class service is they have no need to do so. If you want to make even suite passengers from Hong Kong happy offer them more shopping and more gaming. Put 500 low cost watches on a table and offer them at 20 or 30 dollars and a near riot breaks out. 

Royal looked at the numbers and saw the return would not be as great as in other markets and made the choice not to offer this full program. They should have cancelled it in a better way but many of their choices have been poor choices over the last few months. 

Hi all!  Leaving on Anthem in 2 days for Bermuda. I believe we will be the very first sailing under the new Royal Suite Class.  I'm staying in a Spa Junior Suite, so will be in Sea Class.

It is my intention to maintain a live-ish blog on CC, as well as post pics, etc to the Message Boards here, time permitting, so please let me know if you have any questions you'd like answered by someone onboard!

Hi all!  Leaving on Anthem in 2 days for Bermuda. I believe we will be the very first sailing under the new Royal Suite Class.  I'm staying in a Spa Junior Suite, so will be in Sea Class.

It is my intention to maintain a live-ish blog on CC, as well as post pics, etc to the Message Boards here, time permitting, so please let me know if you have any questions you'd like answered by someone onboard!

Can't wait to read your live-ish blog here!

Brian, can you find out when you go if the Genie's can make you dining reservations for you the week before your cruise? I would really like to not have to put up money for restaurants. I know they reemburse you but i would prefer not to have to lay out the money in the first place..

Brian, can you find out when you go if the Genie's can make you dining reservations for you the week before your cruise? I would really like to not have to put up money for restaurants. I know they reemburse you but i would prefer not to have to lay out the money in the first place..

From what people are saying that are cruising now is that the Genie can and will handle everything as far as dining once you board.  They also are mentioning that they will reserve  seating at shows for you by marking the seats at the show and will gladly escort you there.  I have to say the feedback I am seeing really is making me excited!

It should be interesting. In my group of friends we are in Suite 8730 (2B,ATS Star Class), One family in a Owners Suite (Sky Class) and two other couples in Crown loft suites (Sky Class).  The biggest thing I want to know is if my Genie can make Signiture Dining reservations for all of us. I know that they will have to pay the cover, but if the genie can pull us together for dining when we want to eat together...that would be worth the proce of admission! I did find out that the Genie for our cabin is Daniel.

It should be interesting. In my group of friends we are in Suite 8730 (2B,ATS Star Class), One family in a Owners Suite (Sky Class) and two other couples in Crown loft suites (Sky Class).  The biggest thing I want to know is if my Genie can make Signiture Dining reservations for all of us. I know that they will have to pay the cover, but if the genie can pull us together for dining when we want to eat together...that would be worth the proce of admission! I did find out that the Genie for our cabin is Daniel.

If the Genie cannot do that at the least the whole program should be ended. You are not asking for much, dinner reservations for your whole group. I would think any passenger group on the ship, should be able to get this basic level of service done. Really the only thing you are for is a group reservation.

I posted these on another topic, but thought it belongs here. If anyone is back from a cruise after sailing Star, please fire comments.

PLUM: SKY CLASS

DARK PURPLE: STAR CLASS

I understand SEA is DARK BLUE and PINNICLE is now PEARL. I am told Gold is no longer used on Ships that offer Royal Suite Class.

post-233-0-27275700-1463412354_thumb.jpeg

post-233-0-34850400-1463412376_thumb.jpeg