Carnival ships collide, almost hit Oasis

Jill

Even with these videos and different angles it's hard to tell what exactly he was trying to do?  He wasn't pulling into the dock between Oasis and Legend, so why so close to them?

5 minutes ago, SPS said:

As I'm not familiar with any of the Carnival ships, does anyone know what is on those aft decks that were damaged? (Walkways, suites, dining room?)

we went on Carnival Liberty and if I remember right on that ship that area was a dining room and I think there was a venue back there too, for comedy shows...not sure if these ships are set up in a similar way

13 minutes ago, SPS said:

From the deck plans I found online, it looks like the Platinum Restaurant is where the damage is.

Scary part is they had breakfast service going on at the time. Report from Carnival on Twitter stated a minor injury due to the evacuation of the restaurant.

19 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Scary part is they had breakfast service going on at the time. Report from Carnival on Twitter stated a minor injury due to the evacuation of the restaurant.

Yep, it looked like it was the whole corner of the MDR on 2 levels !!  So glad to hear that nobody was seriously injured.

The view from Oasis was really the best one.  It doesn't look like Legend took any real damage at all.  Probably just some paint.

Two Carnival cruise ships just collided in Cozumel, Mexico

CNN Expansion NYC 2017 PH: JOHN NOWAK  Paul Murphy

By Paul P. Murphy, CNN Business

Updated 12:48 PM ET, Fri December 20, 2019

191220115344-cruise-crash-cozumel-exlarg

Atlanta (CNN Business)The Carnival Glory and Carnival Legend collided Friday morning while at port in Cozumel, Mexico, leaving one passenger injured.

Eyewitness video of the aftermath shows a portion of the Carnival Glory's deck was left crushed after the crash.
"We are assessing the damage but there are no issues that impact the seaworthiness of either ship," Carnival Cruises' told CNN in a statement.
Carnival (CCL) describes the incident as an allision between the two ships. An allision is a nautical term used to describe when a moving ship collides with a stationary object,such as another ship. The Carnival Glory was "maneuvering to dock," and hit the Carnival Legend, which was already docked, the cruise line said.

One guest sustained a minor injury as guests were being evacuated from the dining room on decks 3 and 4, according to the company.
It does not appear the either cruise liner's itinerary will be affected by the crash, as Carnival says they've told guests to enjoy their day ashore.
"The crash wasn't too bad," Carnival Legend passenger Mary Anne McKinley told CNN. "Just felt like a big wave crashing into the ship."
Carnival Glory passenger Maddison Haynes described the crash similarly.

Some of the Carnival Glory decks were crushed in the collision.

Some of the Carnival Glory decks were crushed in the collision.
"Last night we experienced some major motion on the boat so this morning we assumed something similar was happening," Haynes told CNN. "We felt a jolt and didn't really think anything of it."
McKinley says an on-board announcement after the crash said the currents caused the crash. Carnival Glory passenger Maddison Haynes told CNN an on-board announcement said high winds were a factor.
-- CNN Business' Chris Isidore contributed to this report

I understand based on news reports one passenger on the Glory was injured.  Thoughts and prayers for that individual.

Here is the video I shot from my balcony on Oasis.

Despite the collision with the Legend, the bridge crew on the Glory did a pretty spectacular job avoiding a collision with the Oasis.  When I first saw the bow of the Glory come into view it was close.  Too close.  It occured to me a collision was highly possible. 

As I was shooting the video I was keeping an eye on the stern of Glory.  It was getting closer.  I knew they couldn't apply a lot of stern thrust to keep the stern off us without driving the bow into the bow of Oasis.  As the bow of Glory began to clear the bow of Oasis I could see them apply stern thrust to avoid impact.  It was a tight near miss and excellent seamanship on their part to avoid a second collision.  

The wide angle lens is misleading.  The people on Glory were close.  I could have tossed them a bottle of water.  

For context, the NCL Sun aborted her approach an hour before and skipped Cozumel.

oa_sun-1.jpg

She got pretty close to the shallow water nearly running over the anchor buoys used by local excursion boats.

oa_sun-2.jpg

The anchor buoys were in her prop wash.  She collected herself and decided to move on.

oa_sun-3.jpg

MarineTraffic.com shows her track.

oa_sun-4.jpg

oa_sun-5.jpg

oa_sun-6.jpg

The Legend about an hour before the assault occurred.

oa_glory-1.jpg

Glory's original approach from a distance.

oa_glory-2.jpg

Right after the crash the Legend had to reset some lines.

oa_glory-3.jpg

oa_glory-4.jpg

This was after the crash and near miss as she circled around for a second try.

oa_glory-5.jpg

She did a nice turn to expose her stern to us.

oa_glory-6.jpg

oa_glory-7.jpg

oa_glory-8.jpg

oa_glory-9.jpg

oa_glory-10.jpg

oa_glory-11.jpg

oa_glory-12.jpg

oa_glory-13.jpg

oa_glory-14.jpg

oa_glory-15.jpg

oa_glory-16.jpg

oa_glory-17.jpg

oa_glory-18.jpg

oa_glory-19.jpg

oa_glory-20.jpg

oa_glory-21.jpg

oa_glory-22.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, try again.

oa_glory-23.jpg

oa_glory-24.jpg

oa_glory-25.jpg

Round two the Captain's girlfriend wasn't at the helm so it went a little better.  Practice makes perfect.

oa_glory-26.jpg

Don't you scratch our shiny Oasis!

She's docked and minding her own business with precious cargo on board ( @twangster )!

Yet another problem involving Carnival... never mind all of the rusty hulls... add this collision to the multiple engine and plumbing fires/failures, multiple failed health department inspections (https://www.newsweek.com/carnival-cruise-ship-fails-health-inspection-report-dead-flies-1453497), and even a recent murder (https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-pleads-guilty-murdering-girlfriend-carnival-cruise-ship/story?id=67845968)... jeez!

In all seriousness these events are never good for the cruise industry.  Any cruise line in the news with bad news has a negative impact on the industry for everyone.   

I waited to post my stuff.  I figured the new media would run with the first pictures and video to hit the surface as they desperately try to beat each other to market.