Review of The "Amplified" Voyager of The Seas

bretts173

As a vocal critic of the so called Amp of Voyager I thought it is only fair that I put in a honest review.

First of all, the cruise itself was excellent and my family and I had an amazing time. Mostly due to the amazing staff who continually went out of their way to make everything perfect.

Positives

Room - We had a quad share oceanview but as cruisers who spend no time in the room it was more than sufficient.

Food - Mostly very good. We only ventured to the shambles of the windjammer for 1 lunch,breakfast and dinner. It was more chaotic at all times than I have ever experienced. Crowded and people continually walking out with snacks as there is just no other option for those on the pool deck or sports deck. This left the top decks with plates lying around and the poor cleaners overworked. That said it is not really my scene so to me not a big deal. The MDR especially at dinner was sublime. I have never had a better quality set of dinners, all piping hot, delicious and the meat all tender. The cafe was fine and surprisingly not too crowded most of the time.

Service - Bar service was pretty quick and as always friendly but the service in the MDR was outstanding. Our main waiter Michael along with his assistant Wasif were professional and engaging. My children were in tears when there was a chance we were not going to have them on the last night.

Activities/entertainment - plenty to keep all going throughout the day.

Negatives - 

My Time Dining - They increased the amount of early dining slots which meant MTD didnt start until 7pm. The problem is so many turned up at 7pm, while not everyone was finished from the early slot that the lines were long. I am pretty patient and while not delighted to not get in until 7:30 when I had a reservation at 7, others were a lot less patient. 

Lines - The extra cabins were noticable. They added laser tag but it only happened 3 times which in itself replaced sessions of ice skating. This led to long lines at both.

Amplification - Anything new is appreciated but the hoopla surrounding this was over the top. The additions were lacklustre and the biggest thing that is noticeable is the lack of dining options.

Overall we still had a wonderful time however I have never been on a ship with more people whinging and whining.  The most notable were the diamond club members who never stopped. Maybe true that the sevice to them has been downgraded but the biggest group of them sit and drink nothing but water until the happy hour, then go hell for leather. They would make nothing for the company.

It certainly hasnt stopped me as we booked another on board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just got off Voyager. Brett sums it up really well. All criticism is valid to the person making it.

In my case I liked the old Gym, Sauna, Spa and would of loved a good sports bar and some of the other perks Explorer got. For others they couldn’t care less about gyms etc but would jump up and down if food options were changed.

We also enjoyed our cruise and for some reason I just really enjoy the promenade.  It really sets RCL apart. 

My biggest gripe however is for the terrible coffee served at all the places on the ship. Not the Baristas fault but I suspect the long life milk. Seemed ok in the cold coffee drinks but was absolutely terrible in the hot coffee drinks. I would probably not get the refreshment package as I usually factor 2-3 coffees a day into the pricing. Drink the free percolated coffee it’s a lot better.

Sorry for the whining but if you like decent coffee you’ll understand.