Dizziness after cruise

JRogers

Hello there - we just got back from a RC cruise.  There wasn't too much swaying on the cruise ship.  Some a little on the first night we sailed, and a little more on the last night we sailed (last Thursday).  I didn't have any issues on the ship.  However, since being home I feel a little dizzy/off-balance.  Have you experienced this?  And if Yes - what do you do to combat it, or when will it go away?  Thanks.

Yes, this is a very common phenomenon...particularly with first time or relatively new cruisers.  I used to lay in bed or sit at my computer and just feel the ship moving ever so slightly.  I have never found any cure except time.  It does go away eventually.  After you have cruised for a while it is not as prevalent although it still happens to me from time-to-time.  I don't get sea sick so it isn't a problem for me but some people do feel nauseous.  I hope you aren't feeling sick.

I felt this way last year after a particularly rough last day at sea before disembarkation. It took a good 3-4 days of being back on land before I felt normal again. We just returned from a cruise on Saturday and I didn’t have issues this time but my husband is still feeling it ever so slightly today. We haven’t found anything that really helps it go away faster, but it does eventually go away. Hope you feel better soon!

Yes, it happened to me after our first two or three cruises. It took 2 to 3 day to settle down. I found taking motion sickness meds helped, although you'd need one with a non-droswy formula, like Bonine, if you don't want to be nodding off during the day! 

I think it's something you do get used to; it hasn't happened to me for a long time now. 

You got your sea legs! I’ve found my first day post-cruise to be the worst... it’s typically gone by 48 hours. Best thing o found to deal with it was not to sit and stare at small screens - tv, computer, etc. I don’t mean that to be tongue and cheek - I used to work in a cubicle and actually had to go home because I was getting nauseated trying to sit and my desk and work. 

Yes, this happens to me after every cruise. For me, it lasts generally 2-3 weeks (I understand that this is longer than typical).  Even from my 4-day cruise, which ended on Dec 6, and was only 4 nights long, I'm still experiencing it.  I don't ever really feel the movement on the ship - it's only on land.  I haven't found that using any sort of remedy post cruise does a thing for it. I just accept it as part of my cruising experience. 

39 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

…. I don't ever really feel the movement on the ship - it's only on land....

It's a grand conspiracy.  The reality is that modern cruise ships are designed so that they are completely stable even in the roughest of seas.  No  movement whatsoever!  It's the land that's moving after you disembark.  Tectonics theory have yet to explain the phenomenon...

Fortunately (knock on wood), we have never experienced that feeling. A coworker of mine sailed on Oasis about two years ago. She had the time of her life, but when she got off the ship she somehow developed vertigo and had dizzy spells for some time afterward (on and off for over a month). She won't step foot on another ship for fear of triggering the vertigo at this point (she's really bummed out). I was so surprised she had that experience on an Oasis class ship!

I can only assume that in most cases, your body will naturally adjust to the normal, subtle movement of the ship. Maybe when you are back on solid ground, your body is still trying to anticipate and adjust to that subtle, usually imperceptible movement... I sometimes get that feeling for a few moments after riding simulator rides or roller coasters.

For me, I think it has to do with inner ear and chronic sinusitis.  I believe taking Sudafed ( the little red ones) helps me with the minor irritation that I sometimes experience.

I had it really bad when I took a re-positioning cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii.  (Five sea days before first port.)  My brother, who is a commercial fisherman, told me to eat or drink something and lie down or at least sit down and close my eyes until the feeling passes.  So yes, that was me, staggering down the street and then lying on a park bench in Maui with a Sprite in hand.

My niece experienced this after her third cruise. It is called disembarkment syndrome. She had extreme dizziness to the point she was scared to drive and she felt like she could not function. Unfortunately, she dealt with this for several months and certain motions would bring it back. She did see a doctor a week after she got off the cruise and they ran tests thinking something else might be going on. In the end, she was prescribed a medication that has helped it go away. Hers was an extreme case. But sadly, I doubt she will ever take a cruise again. 

On 12/17/2019 at 4:27 PM, JRogers said:

Hello there - we just got back from a RC cruise.  There wasn't too much swaying on the cruise ship.  Some a little on the first night we sailed, and a little more on the last night we sailed (last Thursday).  I didn't have any issues on the ship.  However, since being home I feel a little dizzy/off-balance.  Have you experienced this?  And if Yes - what do you do to combat it, or when will it go away?  Thanks.

This is a well-known phenomenon.  In 14 cruises, it really was only significant for me once.  There are exercises my physician found for me that involve training your inner ear to go back to normal (realign). They involve laying on your bed and turning your head back and forth in stages.  You might look that up.  In my case, it went away in about 7-10 days.   Some times I have just had a slight "sea legs" sensation, which hasn't affected me adversely.   Hope you enjoy your next adventure!

3 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

The cure..  eat every 3 hours, fruity drink by the bath tub, apply hand sanitizer as you enter every room, and finally... go to the nearest high rise building and just stare at an elevator....

You've got that Kentucky sense of humor...  but you forgot to purchase the all-day excursion to your current place of employment?

I felt that way for two weeks after getting off a 5 night cruise last summer. It just went away on its own. 

You have what is called "Sea Legs" It will only go away by going on another cruise.