Rain forecast for the entirety of my cruise!!

Cruisegoer

I am going on Harmony next Sunday (the 22nd of December) and I was checking the Royal app and according to it there will be rain every single day of my cruise. This is obliviously quite the bummer considering this is the 80th birthday cruise for my Grandma and she is inviting her whole family to this cruise. So I just have a couple of questions:

What is your experience with the weather forecast on the Royal app. Is it reliable?

Have any of you gone on a cruise where there was rain the entire time. Did you enjoy it. Considering most of the activities on Harmony are outside will we be able to enjoy it?

Shore excursions. We have booked shore excursions with Royal for all stops and if there will be rain will those get cancelled. We for example booked the thrill waterpark at Coco Cay which we could not enjoy in the rain. Is a refund possible?

Are any of you going to a cruise over the holiday from the Florida area. It seems that weather in the Western Caribbean will be dreadful next week. What are you planning to do, considering the circumstances?

5 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

What is your experience with the weather forecast on the Royal app. Is it reliable?

I would highly recommend you use a reliable to you source for weather at the ports for your trip.  Royal does have a great weather team but not sure their app is the best tool given it's not always accurate with activities, etc.

12 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

What is  your experience with the weather forecast on the Royal app. Is it reliable?

....and if there will be rain will those get cancelled. We for example booked the thrill waterpark at Coco Cay which we could not enjoy in the rain. Is a refund possible?

No.  Nor is the Cruise Compass.  I was on a 4 night Nassau/Coco Cay cruise 2 weeks ago - the Cruise Compass (and app) said it would be 82-83 degrees every day.  The actual temps were the low 70s (confirmed by every actual weather service app that I had available).

Most shore excursions (through Royal or anyone else) don't get canceled due to rain (unless it means the activity literally cannot go on - such as the Helium Balloon, perhaps).

You may be overthinking this, to be honest. Rain is extremely common in that part of the world, but constant and all-day rain is not (aside from storms). It's very normal for it to rain in a small part of the day, but be perfectly beautiful the rest. Be prepared to be caught in some unexpected rain, but I am doubtful it will be so rainy as to wash out a day, let alone many days. 

Even if it DOES rain every single day of the cruise, you will still have a great time.  The good news is, you are on Harmony of the Seas !!  There is plenty to keep you entertained....without ever going outside.  The only theater that would be a bust would be the Aqua Theater but the rest of them are unaffected by the weather unless the seas are very rough.  But rain alone should not affect the other theaters.

Happy Birthday to your Grandmother !

A rainy day on a cruise is better than a sunny day at the office.

It rained for an hour the first time we were at cococay in August 2018....while everyone else was running out of the water and heading for cover I was like....it isn't a thunderstorm...its a light drizzle....we're already getting wet swimming in the ocean....so we just kept right on swimming and playing around.  Great memories.

15 hours ago, JoJoB said:

8 of us are going on Freedom of the Seas sailings from Porto RICO on Sunday (22 December) for X4 60th Birthdays X1 65th Birthday and X1 80th Birthday. Does anyone know what the weather forecast is for 7 day...

How can we help you when you don't list the ports? You want the 7 day forecast for PR?..that's not going to help much???!!....

weather.com accuweather.com undergroundweather.com    would be a few places to start looking.

Saying that it will rain every day in the Caribbean or in the Summer here in Florida simply means there is a chance for rain not that it will rain. There are no tropical storms now, so you might get some rain showers. Truthfully, weather forecasters are much like the people on ESPN telling you who will win on Sunday... they are not always accurate.

That being said..there are some systems brewing apparently down in the Caribbean....one ship was sent to Labadee instead of CocoCay because of weather...and they are watching some systems for next week.....so possibly it could be a wet and/or rough sailing.

But under normal conditions....yes, it may downpour for a bit but generally it passes fairly quickly.

Hey folks.  Same situation as OP.  Per the RC App, Rain forecast every day (cruise starts this Sunday).  

I assume that rain "events" are different in Winter than in Summer.  (Summer rain in the Car. is usually short bursts - is it correct that Winter rain is different?  I am guessing longer duration of rain, but perhaps less intense?  Obviously it varies, but I assume there is a "usual look" to Winter rain that differs from Summer?)

32 minutes ago, Nopa Notaway said:

Obviously it varies, but I assume there is a "usual look" to Winter rain that differs from Summer?

It does seem a little more gray and gloomy in the winter.  It is a lot less violent than the summer rainshowers that blow through quickly and follow with sunshine.

There is a weather system in the gulf that's going to hang around and send rain to parts of the southeast for the next few days.  The ship will do what it can to go around storms and stay out of the worst of the weather when at all possible.

24 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

It does seem a little more gray and gloomy in the winter.  It is a lot less violent than the summer rainshowers that blow through quickly and follow with sunshine.

There is a weather system in the gulf that's going to hang around and send rain to parts of the southeast for the next few days.  The ship will do what it can to go around storms and stay out of the worst of the weather when at all possible.

This is extremely helpful, thanks! 

Since we have two non-beach excursions planned (each involve walking outside), I think I will pack umbrellas (so we can go on the excursion without feeling overly squishy...)  

11 minutes ago, Nopa Notaway said:

This is extremely helpful, thanks! 

Since we have two non-beach excursions planned (each involve walking outside), I think I will pack umbrellas (so we can go on the excursion without feeling overly squishy...)  

I always pack dollar store emergency ponchos just in case.  The only two times I've ever gotten rained in during a cruise were actually in Portland and Juneau.  All my Caribbeans rains were quick sunshowers.

Also know that the winter rains in the Caribbean don't tend to come with the oppressive humidity right before it rains which is a plus.