Figuring out RCCL's Math

PG Cruiser

@PG Cruiser, I saw the title of this post and my first thought, "Is this a joke?" ?

Honestly, I have no clue, but I have also come across this scenario before too.  Mostly when I am searching using 4 people instead of 2.  The "lowest price" it shows me (from your screen shot) is a price for 2 in the lowest cabin available in that category.  Then, when I take it through the mock booking, the "low price" disappears.  For example, if I am searching for 4 in suites on Oasis, the lowest suite price it shows (on that screen that you have a screen shot of) is a price for 2 in a JS Guarantee.  Once I click past that screen, my actual availability shows up and the price is higher.  Not sure if that makes sense.

@Lovetocruise2002 nailed it.  That lowest price is based on double occupancy in the cheapest room allowed (interior GTY).  It won't let you book solo and get the GTY..so you need to fake the 2nd person in this case to allow it and just get the port taxes refunded for your phantom 2nd passenger when they "no show" ?

2 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I see a whole different set of different prices for the same sailing!

Yeah, I got caught in a price update.  I was on the phone with a Royal agent and we figured that out.

(Now here's a conspiracy theory ... was that a bait & switch?  This has also happened to me last Saturday for another sailing.)

2 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Yeah, I got caught in a price update.  I was on the phone with a Royal agent and we figured that out.

(Now here's a conspiracy theory ... was that a bait & switch?  This has also happened to me last Saturday for another sailing.)

I have seen unexpected  price updates also. At least  in one case I recently observed, the price jumped up a bit based on availability. For example, there were at least 2 rooms available in a category. Later that day when I went back, there was only one left and the price was 10% higher.  

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think it's just wonky RC Math that we all know and hate. lol

That's why I laughed at your post title, when is there ever a logical explanation to RC Math?

The Math lines up when booking for two.  But I always book solo.  

For 1 passenger the total price is $1,071.49 USD.   Can somebody help me figure this out?  What is the extra  $210.51 for?  Am I paying for what the second person would have spent onboard? 

image.thumb.png.ff7129d19c287873dd757ad0927e1b52.png

Just now, PG Cruiser said:

I need an expert opinion on this.  If I book for two people (one being a "ghost" who will be a "no-show"), will I get double points for the sailing?  

As you may see from this, I am a ROYAL POINTS-AHOLIC. ?

Yes..the only time you don't get the double points is if you book in a solo cabin.

Just now, PG Cruiser said:

Another question needing expert advice:

When I book a "ghost" person, what credentials do I present for them at online check-in?

Don't bother filling anything in. Your ghost will person can deal with a manual check in process at the port... If they show up on time.

I've only had a companion not show up a couple of times.  Once was an unfortunate family situation, once was a person I really would have enjoyed the cruise with but they simply couldn't make it and I knew that was a possibility when I booked it.  

In the first case they were fully checked in with passport details and all.  In the second I think I selected DL/BC as ID for the other guest. Both have CAS numbers that were in the system.

In both cases when I ended up solo I was received double points (or triple in a JS) but they don't always post properly so I had to call to have it adjusted manually after they showed up in my account as single points.  There was no problem, Royal saw that I did actually sail solo.  

58 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

For 1 passenger the total price is $1,071.49 USD.   Can somebody help me figure this out?  What is the extra  $210.51 for?

As @AshleyDillo has stated certain booking categories are not available to book as a solo.  Often WS suite guarantees fall into this category.  Sometimes other "Guarantee" cabins fall into this category such as balcony, OV or interior.  You have to price all the way to the end to see the details.  You can't just look at the initial prices presented on a pre-tax basis.  

There can also be some flux when the cheapest category within a class in on the edge of selling out.  By the time you click through the process the 2N might no longer be available and your rate is now no longer in the system.  Pricing for GTY is dynamic until you have an actual booking. 

With cabins where you pick your actual cabin this is less frequent because the system locks your selected cabin out of inventory as you continue on with the booking.  In so doing if you grabbed the last cheap cabin the next person the website may not see that rate anymore - they see a price jump.  If you don't book after a few minute that cabin goes back into inventory and if the threshold is crossed the rates drop again.  

Airline seats often work the same way.  There are only so many "Wanna Get Away" seats and there are differently priced "Wanna Get Away" seats.  Maybe someone yesterday paid $56 and now today you only see $79.  Early bird gets the cheaper worm.  Once on the plane all the seats are the same but some people paid less than others.

Occasionally when a GTY is solo eligible the rate can disappear by the time you reach the end.  This is because someone else is also trying to score that deal and beat you through to the end.  Snooze you lose.  

Just this week I was watching a studio GTY on a ship with just two cabins available.  So were other people.  I couldn't make it through and apply my deposit, it reported an issue with my credit card.  Repeating the process and the studio GTY was no longer available.  Waited a few and it was back but same issue.    Later I checked with NextCruise and discovered they don't offer studio GTY cabins, they could only offer a confirmed studio cabin even though the GTY was back on the website showing available.  Absent of the GTY the rate was $600 more for the same studio cabin.   So I asked my TA watch for the GTY and put a hold on it.  She did, at the cheaper rate.  A couple days later and it was still being offered on the website but NextCruise couldn't offer that rate so I had my TA book it using the hold she had in place.     

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

As @AshleyDillo has stated certain booking categories are not available to book as a solo.  Often WS suite guarantees fall into this category.  Sometimes other "Guarantee" cabins fall into this category such as balcony, OV or interior.  You have to price all the way to the end to see the details.  You can't just look at the initial prices presented on a pre-tax basis.  

There can also be some flux when the cheapest category within a class in on the edge of selling out.  By the time you click through the process the 2N might no longer be available and your rate is now no longer in the system.  Pricing for GTY is dynamic until you have an actual booking. 

With cabins where you pick your actual cabin this is less frequent because the system locks your selected cabin out of inventory as you continue on with the booking.  In so doing if you grabbed the last cheap cabin the next person the website may not see that rate anymore - they see a price jump.  If you don't book after a few minute that cabin goes back into inventory and if the threshold is crossed the rates drop again.  

Airline seats often work the same way.  There are only so many "Wanna Get Away" seats and there are differently priced "Wanna Get Away" seats.  Maybe someone yesterday paid $56 and now today you only see $79.  Early bird gets the cheaper worm.  Once on the plane all the seats are the same but some people paid less than others.

Occasionally when a GTY is solo eligible the rate can disappear by the time you reach the end.  This is because someone else is also trying to score that deal and beat you through to the end.  Snooze you lose.  

Just this week I was watching a studio GTY on a ship with just two cabins available.  So were other people.  I couldn't make it through and apply my deposit, it reported an issue with my credit card.  Repeating the process and the studio GTY was no longer available.  Waited a few and it was back but same issue.    Later I checked with NextCruise and discovered they don't offer studio GTY cabins, they could only offer a confirmed studio cabin even though the GTY was back on the website showing available.  Absent of the GTY the rate was $600 more for the same studio cabin.   So I asked my TA watch for the GTY and put a hold on it.  She did, at the cheaper rate.  A couple days later and it was still being offered on the website but NextCruise couldn't offer that rate so I had my TA book it using the hold she in place.     

I have been waiting for RCCL to put the short cruises on schedule. Do you know why they have done it as of yet?

Adding that it's important to price all the way to the last screen right before you submit payment.

For another cruise the rates presented early in the process where X but when I reached the final screen and only on the final screen they were cheaper by several hundred dollars.  If I had made my decision based on the pricing presented on the pages where you choose between different cabin types I would have missed the deal.

1 hour ago, harlipac said:

On the subject of 2021-2022...anyone know what Voyager is doing after is sails from Sydney to Singapore on April 21, 2021?  If it goes to Europe I'll be on it.  When is RC releasing the rest of its 2021-22 itineraries?

You might have better luck in the speculation thread for future itineraries:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/15024-ship-deployment-2021-22-port-booking-season-begins/

To answer your question... no one knows.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

This is primarily when I price out a solo cruise, I always put it for two people. More options to consider with 2 people, even if one is fake.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

This is primarily when I price out a solo cruise, I always put it for two people. More options to consider with 2 people, even if one is fake.

I've always wanted to take this advice of yours... but even after being told that I'd get the double points after the "ghost" is a "no-show", I'm still iffy about it.  Like I said, I'm a POINTSAHOLIC! ha ha ( I need document proof!)