Voyager of the Seas Hong Kong Sailings Cancelled Due to Redeployment

F1guynz

We had 3 cruises booked from Kong Kong to Taiwan and Japan next September.

We received an email today advising all Voyager sailings from 12th July to 30th September have been cancelled due to redeployment.

i wonder whether it is being redeployed to Australia or elsewhere in the same region.

disapoointing our cruises have been cancelled but we will consider our options.

VY 07.12.20 - 09.30.20 Redeployed.pdf

Spent a couple of hours trying to find replacement cruises for the 3 that cancelled due to the redeployment.

The sailings offered as an alternative weren’t very enticing. One of the cruises we originally had booked was a 9 night bookended with 4 and 5 night.

The selected sailings we could pick from were all 4 nights going to the same port in Japan and any other sailings not on their “approved” list were expensive or had limited cabin availability. We were really happy with our original cruises as they were cruising to Taiwan and Japan, somewhere we are yet to travel to.

Rather than doing itineraries we weren’t really happy with we have booked a back to back on Ovation cruising around New Zealand and the South Pacific. We have done these 2 itineraries in the past and they are okay but still a let down after anticipation of going to Japan and Taiwan.

Because the new bookings are outside their selected sailings we had to pay the prevailing rates which are higher than I would like as there is less than a year to the sailings. Normally we book 2 years out so I find it annoying they have got more money out of us by redeploying their ship.

The b2b cruises mean we will be on Ovation for 21 days in total.which is good. While I like Ovation but it doesn’t really hit the sweet spot for me like Voyager or Freedom class ships but I do like the choice of restaurants.

We did get to use our c&a discount on the suites and we also got $400 usd obc for each cruise + $100 obc transferred from our original booking. The cruises were more expensive but that was offset by not having to fly to Hong Kong.

My SIL had her Dubai cruises cancelled recently and we also had some friends booked on Independence in the UK next year and this was also cancelled. This seems to be more common.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received an email which simply says "A change has been made to your reservation or guest status. Due to this new "cancelled" status in your reservation, we have cancelled all reservations made using our Cruise Planner pertaining to each guest listed below". No explanation so far and travel agent not aware of any changes.  

We booked 7 Night Best Of Japan Cruise sailing on Voyager Of The Seas on 26 July 2020 from Hong Kong. 

This Blog is the first I have heard of any issues. I booked the excursions yesterday and the booking has disappeared today.

All flights booked separately from Heathrow to Hong Kong and back from Tokyo as RCI quoted £30k for flights!

This is terrible service from RCI.

4 minutes ago, MCC UK said:

No explanation so far and travel agent not aware of any changes.

Your TA absolutely needs to follow up with this.  If you didn't get any correspondence about the changes, then your TA got them or there was a mistake when your email address was entered in for your booking.

The issue is that the cruise was still on my account as an 'upcoming cruise' and allowed me to book excursions last week. Took the payment (not yet returned). The cruise wasn't cancelled or booking cost returned. In fact until I emailed shore excursions asking about what the excursion with airport drop off options were the booking was still active. This seems to have prompted them to notice!

Still no official notification received!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks 

We've come very late to this party and learned by total accident today that our 12.7.20 cruise is cancelled

We were told  by our TA (Cruise Nation) that they received no notification about this from RCI and that options that were apparently offered by them to passengers expired in December!!!!

Impressed-I'm not!

I'm trying to find out what was offered to people in December-can anyone tell me please?

Thank you

It depends what region you booked as the compensation varies.

We had one booked through the Australia/NZ and got a $200 obc for rebooking on a cruise not on their original list.

We also booked one cruise on the RCI Hong Kong website and we got the choice of $200obc if rebooking or 30% of the original cruise price as a FCC. We took the 30% FCC on that one..

Also the sailings we could rebook at the original rate were different from the ones offered to us from Aus/NZ.

You can see by the PDF I attached to my original post the compensation offer our our market.

Thank you for this (depressing) reply...I appreciate it as all and any information is helpful to me.

We've booked a package with our TA which included hotel. fights and cruise...so it will be interesting to see what we are offered at this stage and by by which of them...RCI and/or the TA

The latter are insisting that RCI failed to notify them and I can confirm it was an accidental discovery for us so seemingly we are the ones informing the TA (who also told me that there are another 11 bookings who are yet to be informed about their cancelled holiday....)

Happy days!

If RCI do this too often they won't be in such good shape for long methinks...

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

2 minutes ago, Ela said:

Thank you for this (depressing) reply...I appreciate it as all and any information is helpful to me.

We've booked a package with our TA which included hotel. fights and cruise...so it will be interesting to see what we are offered at this stage and by by which of them...RCI and/or the TA

The latter are insisting that RCI failed to notify them and I can confirm it was an accidental discovery for us so seemingly we are the ones informing the TA (who also told me that there are another 11 bookings who are yet to be informed about their cancelled holiday....)

Happy days!

If RCI do this too often they won't be in such good shape for long methinks...

Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Is yours an Asia sailing that is [potentially] affected due to the current medical emergency ?  Believe me, I understand your frustration and disappointment...but what would be yours and everyone else's reaction if Royal Caribbean kept their ships sailing from a port from which a known medical emergency has sprung ?  I'm sure (my guess) that Royal has chosen to relocate the ship(s) to a safer port of embarkation to HELP keep this situation.  I do realize that the majority of your frustration is directed at the fact that you did not receive prompt notification of these changes and that you had to hear about it incidentally.  

This is going to be a financial disaster for Royal Caribbean.  They have basically put ALMOST every new ship that they have built into the far east market.  I know that doesn't help your disappointment, but Royal is doing this out of absolute necessity.

Good luck with getting your holiday plans rearranged, and I mean that sincerely.  I know it is going to be a mess for a while...just realize that while your holiday has been disrupted, Royal is having to deal with thousands and thousands of people in your same situation.  My best to you, truly.

?

Hi there

No this cancellation came BEFORE the coronavirus outbreak so it isn't a response to this (which I would wholly be grateful of had this been the rationale) plus our trip isn't going to China or to anywhere else that folks are being advised to stay away from as yet.

I too am deeply sorry for those affected by that outbreak-both in holiday and domestic terms.

I'm just disappointed about my own circumstances and awaiting proposals re its remedy.

When I get that info I'll update folks as I'm guessing that others affected may come here for info when they find out (in the next few days I guess).