Diving in Aruba

Live2Cruise

Hey. Going to the ABC's for the first time in January 2020. My husband and I are certified divers and wanted to get reviews for the Aruba Scuba tour. It is a 2 tank dive, but it does not say if it is a boat dive or not. If you have done this, can you tell me, if it is a boat dive (which I am thinking it is), Do you jump off the back of the boat, feet first, or is it one where you sit on the side and fall in backwards. Also, was it worth it or should I consider setting up something private with a local dive shop?

Thanks.

Last year around this time I visited the ABC and we scuba dived at each island booked through Royal

Aruba was a wreck dive from a boat.  I can't specifically remember the water entry but I think we stepped off the back of the boat.  I haven't done a backwards roll off a dive boat in a long time.

We dove all three islands on this cruise.  Only Curacao was a shore dive.  

Bonaire was the best of all three.  That was a boat dive.

I do not know who the dive provider in Aruba is. Couple things:

Concern (or perhaps anxiety) about potentially doing a backwards roll is real and many people have the same issue; by no means are you alone. Letting your dive master know is most important. Any dive operator will work through it with you or figure out another way for you to get into the water in a way in which you are comfortable. That's what dive masters do; it's their job.

A port stop in Aruba probably means you are leaving late in the evening. Often the ship leave at 10 or 11pm. That opens up a really good opportunity to not use ships excursion. Let me explain... most posters here will tell you that when you go to Aruba you want to go to Palm Beach or Eagle Beach, that's where "the action is." And that is completely true, the rest of the island is a desert best I can tell. So, be proactive and get on your computer open up Google Maps. Type in Aruba and then click on satellite view. Wow! there's the top of a cruise ship! There's the port, it's not like there is going to be two. Now where is that Eagle Beach or Palm Beach in relation to that cruise ship? Wowsey! Not walkable, but certainly a short cab ride. Then type in "scuba" under the "Nearby" tab. Your map now looks like it has the measles with all the red dots of dive providers, and most of them are located right where you'd like them. Go to those dive provider websites and get a feel for who they are, what time there boats leave, cost, will the dive operator pick you up at the port?, some online reviews, and email them your questions. While you are on that map page look at what restaurants are close by, what else might be interesting to spend some time at. In short, your plan for Aruba might be: grab a cab or find the dive provider waiting for you just outside the port gates, do your diving, grab some food and beers, go do something else that's in the vicinity, then have dinner--there's loads of restaurants, and finally return to the ship. If hailing a cab from a curb is uncomfortable any big hotel will have couple just waiting for you at their entrance. Because the ship leaves so late you've got plenty of time to get back onboard-- on your schedual--not theirs.

On the other hand you can sign up for the ships excursion. How do you find out who you are actually diving with? Go online to some scuba related chat rooms and do some searching. As a last resort you can find out this way; when you get onboard you can ask the Shore Excursions desk but if your ship has the little scuba shop--they definitely know. Then go to that dive op's website and find the background information about them. And find them on a map too. Having a loose idea where things are in relation to one another is always a good idea. 

You'll like the time you spend in Aruba, especially if you make a day of it. The diving? It's even better in Curacao and Bonaire.

If you decide to dive in Aruba privately i.e. not through the ship consider happydiversaruba.com. Jeffrey Kost will pick you up at the port, drive you to his boat, be in the water with you and take you back to your ship.

If I remember correctly you step off the back of the boat to enter the water and there is generally no more than 6 people on the boat. No big cattle boat operation you get sometimes through ship excursions. Generally you'll be back to your ship by 12:30-1 pm if you do a 2 tank morning dive.

More than likely one of the dives will be on the wreck Antilla which was a 300' German freighter scuttled when WWII broke out. It's in about 50' of water. It's broken in half and you can swim through the break and see inside. Pretty good dive.

Last time I checked it was cheaper than the ship's excursion.  I have no connection to happydiversaruba.com other than being a happy customer.