Adding someone to cabin

Diane.M

We are sailing in March on the Mariner of the Seas.  My son has a cabin, and paid double occupancy.  He is thinking of bringing a friend now.  How close to the cruise can he add her name and pay the difference.  Thank you for any help ? I've done some searching but I can't find this exact scenario. 

If a passenger is added to the cabin, the cruise fare will be recalculated based on current prices but Royal is always happy to take more money from you.  The only possible restriction with adding a passenger at the last minute would be if adding someone upset the balance/availability of life boats. My guess is that this would be unlikely to be a problem if your son was a single, but it could happen. Otherwise, I don’t expect there would be a problem with adding someone to the room as long as they realize the fare will most likely increase.

If your son specified that there would be another person when he booked the cabin and just didn't have a name at the time, then he can add the person any time. In this case his reservation it would show the second person as "Tba, Tba" until the name is added.

If not, I would recommend he add a second immediately, in hopes the rate isn't too much more than taxes and port fees. Then if he chooses not to bring the friend after all, the taxes and port fees will be refunded.

Does that make sense?

15 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If a passenger is added to the cabin, the cruise fare will be recalculated based on current prices but Royal is always happy to take more money from you.  The only possible restriction with adding a passenger at the last minute would be if adding someone upset the balance/availability of life boats. My guess is that this would be unlikely to be a problem if your son was a single, but it could happen. Otherwise, I don’t expect there would be a problem with adding someone to the room as long as they realize the fare will most likely increase.

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Exactly what @WAAAYTOOO said as long as he doesn’t mind getting re-priced at prevailing rates. You need at least 3 on a reservation to lock down a price. 

10 hours ago, KristiZ said:

If your son specified that there would be another person when he booked the cabin and just didn't have a name at the time, then he can add the person any time. In this case his reservation it would show the second person as "Tba, Tba" until the name is added.

If not, I would recommend he add a second immediately, in hopes the rate isn't too much more than taxes and port fees. Then if he chooses not to bring the friend after all, the taxes and port fees will be refunded.

Does that make sense?

Thank you all for the all your help!!  He paid almost exactly what hubby and I paid, but he is only one.  I assumed it was the port and taxes that he didn't pay.  I will pass all this information on.  I never thought of the lifeboat situation either.  His reservation doesn't say TBA.  

This past summer I added a person to a solo reservation booked at 200% without re-pricing.  They just had to pay the taxes and port fees.  This was ~ 30 days prior to sail date.

It's a simple phone call to find out.  "If I want to add someone is that possible and if so what is the cost?".  No commitment involved, just ask the question.

If booked through a travel agent you must go through that travel agency.  If booked direct cal Royal or the Crown and Anchor team.  

Figuring out the sharing of the original cruise costs is on you, Royal just deals with the additional taxes and port fees.  

23 hours ago, Diane.M said:

We are sailing in March on the Mariner of the Seas.  My son has a cabin, and paid double occupancy.  He is thinking of bringing a friend now.  How close to the cruise can he add her name and pay the difference.  Thank you for any help ? I've done some searching but I can't find this exact scenario. 

Also, if your sons friend is a minor, follow the direction on the Royal Caribbean website link below...

8 hours ago, twangster said:

This past summer I added a person to a solo reservation booked at 200% without re-pricing.  They just had to pay the taxes and port fees.  This was ~ 30 days prior to sail date.

It's a simple phone call to find out.  "If I want to add someone is that possible and if so what is the cost?".  No commitment involved, just ask the question.

If booked through a travel agent you must go through that travel agency.  If booked direct cal Royal or the Crown and Anchor team.  

Figuring out the sharing of the original cruise costs is on you, Royal just deals with the additional taxes and port fees.  

That would be great!  My son has only been dating her for 60 days, and says it is wrong to ask her to go on a cruise further out then he has been dating. I believe if they are still dating mid February he will add her. 

30 minutes ago, Diane.M said:

That would be great!  My son has only been dating her for 60 days, and says it is wrong to ask her to go on a cruise further out then he has been dating. I believe if they are still dating mid February he will add her. 

Traveling with someone you learn a lot.  I've got some good friends that turned into terrible people when they traveled.  It's not a bad way to see how compatible they really are.  Better to find out sooner rather than later.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 3:27 PM, twangster said:

Traveling with someone you learn a lot.  I've got some good friends that turned into terrible people when they traveled.  It's not a bad way to see how compatible they really are.  Better to find out sooner rather than later.  

So true!!  This is also true when camping... who pitches in or who just sits back and ignores all the chores.