Last minute cancellation

GMusick

Hello,

Due to a new job I need to cancel an upcoming cruise. Harmony of the Seas Departing December 22 Western Caribbean Cruise. Cabin 9201. Only my name is on the reservation, so the best option is for a single to purchase this reservation and we'll just add your name. I already paid $3500 for 2. Reservation is attached.

Just make me an offer.

Happy Cruising.

George

Unfortunately, you will not be able to do this.  At least 1 name on the original reservation must remain. Since there is only one name on the reservation, you cannot transfer this cruise reservation.

I’m afraid that at this point, you will lose all or the greatest part of your cruise fare due to cancellations policy.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Unfortunately, you will not be able to do this.  At least 1 name on the original reservation must remain. Since there is only one name on the reservation, you cannot transfer this cruise reservation.

I’m afraid that at this point, you will lose all or the greatest part of your cruise fare due to cancellations policy.

That's why I said my name would stay and the best option would be for a single to purchase the reservation. A transfer is not necessary in that instance.

2 hours ago, GMusick said:

That's why I said my name would stay and the best option would be for a single to purchase the reservation. A transfer is not necessary in that instance.

Then I assume you are suggesting that you would add someone’s name to the reservation and you would simply be a no-show.  That won’t work either b/c they would reprice the ticket when you add someone. The cruise fare would be significantly higher, almost certainly. 

53 minutes ago, GMusick said:

Of course it will work. I already paid for 2. My first post of only 2 lines said that. You cannot book a room like this without paying for 2 up front. RC already approved this.

Please STOP responding as you are discouraging others from contacting me. Also, stop trying to impress everyone that you are an all knowing cruiser, you're clearly not.

I'd say the biggest reason people would be discouraged from contacting you is the high probability of getting scammed by someone whose first post is trying to sell something.

I won't say WAAAYTOOO has never been wrong, but I put way more faith in their answers because they are an established contributor to this forum.

2 hours ago, GMusick said:

Of course it will work. I already paid for 2. My first post of only 2 lines said that. You cannot book a room like this without paying for 2 up front. RC already approved this.

Please STOP responding as you are discouraging others from contacting me. Also, stop trying to impress everyone that you are an all knowing cruiser, you're clearly not.

I obviously don't know all the ins and outs on these types of issues but I noticed in your cruise docs that you have a TA.  Wouldn't it be better for you to contact your your TA and let them advise you as any changes will still have to done through them.  They may even have a client ready to fill the spot if it's a viable option.

Edited by Mr. Candyman

I wish everyone would read what I originally wrote, only 2 lines, and then see my reservation.

I'm not sure what TA means but I booked this myself online with the assistance of a RC travel adviser.

I paid for 2, the single that I am looking for would be my first guest. My name stays, their's get added, and I don't show. RC approved this. No extra charge, maybe taxes.

31 minutes ago, GMusick said:

I wish everyone would read what I originally wrote, only 2 lines, and then see my reservation.

I'm not sure what TA means but I booked this myself online with the assistance of a RC travel adviser.

I paid for 2, the single that I am looking for would be my first guest. My name stays, their's get added, and I don't show. RC approved this. No extra charge, maybe taxes.

@GMusick So what price are you asking for again?

Even though you paid for two, it was as a solo cruiser paying double occupancy. This is why there are some experienced cruisers who make up a “ghost” second passenger on the reservation who they have no intention of ever showing up.  If you were to add another name now and just be a no show yourself it would still trigger a reprice since you aren’t swapping out a name but rather adding one. I understand your frustration, but this is overall a civil board and there’s no need to insult someone who is just trying to help you and is an incredibly helpful member of the community. Some people are getting a tad snarky now, but it’s because they perceive you to have “fired first”. 

I wish you luck in your new job!

Against popular opinion here... Yes, it is possible to add a second to a solo reservation. The second would have to pay the taxes and fees. However those would be refunded with the no-show of the first guest.

Is this an absolute guarantee, no.

I do have person experience with this. Added a second person to a solo sailing. At first Royal did want to reprice. However with some pushing they did add the second at taxes and fees only.

Also add I think someone did something along this line a few years back on a Harmony sailing. However I think the situation and planning was a bit more complex.

Finally: "VACATION PLANNER USA" is the name Royal uses when you book directly with them.

10 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Against popular opinion here... Yes, it is possible to add a second to a solo reservation. The second would have to pay the taxes and fees. However those would be refunded with the no-show of the first guest.

Is this an absolute guarantee, no.

I do have person experience with this. Added a second person to a solo sailing. At first Royal did want to reprice. However with some pushing they did add the second at taxes and fees only.

Also add I think someone did something along this line a few years back on a Harmony sailing. However I think the situation and planning was a bit more complex.

Finally: "VACATION PLANNER USA" is the name Royal uses when you book directly with them.

Thank you! This is exactly what my research plus a RC rep showed.

People you don’t know what you are talking about ? ALL staterooms in RCI are based on a double occupancy price, meaning the cruise fare aka “base price” (excluding T&F, PPGR...) will be for two even if we have one name on the booking. By adding a second name to this reservation the cost of the booking will be the same since the base price is already FOR TWO! The only increase in the reservation price will be Taxes and Fees for the new guest. If guest one (In this case the original guest) doesn’t show up the booking doesn’t reprice at all, it will be simply a no show and the guest will be cancelled at the end of the cruise and his taxes and fees will be refunded. There are a few scenarios (very rare) when adding a second guest to a single booking will result in a change in price like the booking having a single promo like the ones diamond plus and pinnacle members get which this is not the case. So for the guys I “haha” your post is because you are INCORRECT!! 

And for the owner of this post if you can’t travel you can always check with the resolutions team in RCI to check if an exception can be made. It’s worth the try. Sometimes for holiday cruises they over sold the ship and they waive cancellation fees ✌?

6 hours ago, Andrew3232 said:

People you don’t know what you are talking about ? ALL staterooms in RCI are based on a double occupancy price, meaning the cruise fare aka “base price” (excluding T&F, PPGR...) will be for two even if we have one name on the booking. By adding a second name to this reservation the cost of the booking will be the same since the base price is already FOR TWO! The only increase in the reservation price will be Taxes and Fees for the new guest. If guest one (In this case the original guest) doesn’t show up the booking doesn’t reprice at all, it will be simply a no show and the guest will be cancelled at the end of the cruise and his taxes and fees will be refunded. There are a few scenarios (very rare) when adding a second guest to a single booking will result in a change in price like the booking having a single promo like the ones diamond plus and pinnacle members get which this is not the case. So for the guys I “haha” your post is because you are INCORRECT!! 

And for the owner of this post if you can’t travel you can always check with the resolutions team in RCI to check if an exception can be made. It’s worth the try. Sometimes for holiday cruises they over sold the ship and they waive cancellation fees ✌?

Thank you so much for your supportive and detailed post. I will contact RCI again to see if they'll offer even a partial refund or cruise credit. I have been getting price changes emailed to me all year and just 2 days ago the price jumped 21%, so they might need my cabin.

I'll let you know.

I'm speaking from personal experience.  I booked as a solo traveler for my Alaska cruise a few months ago.  Due to a work-related situation, I almost did not make it to this cruise.  I considered the option of "donating" the reservation to my cousin who is based in Seattle.  The Royal agent I was dealing with on the phone said it could not be done.  It's almost in the same time frame as the original poster.

Royal has a strict policy on this to prevent people from booking cheap cruises very early in the booking process then selling them on the open market once prices increase.   

That being said we know that Royal can be inconsistent.  They are very unlikely to allow you swap names but once in while you will hear reports of people who have been able to move to another ship or sail date past final payment date. The problem with these claims is knowing the details and when it occurred.  Someone who managed to do it 3 years ago versus what Royal will allow in the present are very different things.  Royal systems may now have safeguards in place they didn't have 3 years ago.  Now a supervisor or director might have to be involved.   By letter of the cruise contract they don't have to do anything.   

The "adding another guest" trick may be possible.  The risk to the new guest is that the original "lead" guest can remove them virtually at any time so it's one thing if you know the person but that's a stretch for strangers on the internet.  They could also add a 3rd person if the cabin allowed it and now you have a stranger as a roommate you had no idea about. "Who are you and what are you doing in my cabin?"... "Excuse me but this is my cabin".  Try sorting that out on board.

The teacher-side of me would like to say that this is a great example of the benefits of getting travel insurance (the "cancel-for-any-reason" kind would cover this situation I believe).

I know hindsight is 20/20 but insurance is one of those things that is expensive to pay but you end up being thankful for it when you need to use it. With people's lives being as busy as they are, I feel like travel insurance is really not an option anymore - it's a necessity.

Anyway, that' s just my two cents - take it for whatever it's worth!

Best of luck to the OP! I hope that you are able to make it work somehow and that you can make it to another cruise!

30 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

The teacher-side of me would like to say that this is a great example of the benefits of getting travel insurance (the "cancel-for-any-reason" kind would cover this situation I believe).

I know hindsight is 20/20 but insurance is one of those things that is expensive to pay but you end up being thankful for it when you need to use it. With people's lives being as busy as they are, I feel like travel insurance is really not an option anymore - it's a necessity.

Anyway, that' s just my two cents - take it for whatever it's worth!

Best of luck to the OP! I hope that you are able to make it work somehow and that you can make it to another cruise!

Yep, travel insurance with CFAR (cancel for any reason) would have solved this issue. Period. Well, if it is an issue. .. . 

N.B. I don't believe trip insurance will cover a fraudulent transaction.

1 hour ago, RockerDom31 said:

OP may have this coverage, but most CFAR riders on insurance policies do not cover 100%.  Might as well try to recoup more than the typical 75% by selling the cruise to someone else.

On 12/15/2019 at 2:12 AM, GMusick said:

Hello,

Due to a new job I need to cancel an upcoming cruise. Harmony of the Seas Departing December 22 Western Caribbean Cruise. Cabin 9201. Only my name is on the reservation, so the best option is for a single to purchase this reservation and we'll just add your name. I already paid $3500 for 2. Reservation is attached.

George Musick Cruise.pdf 250.07 kB · 67 downloads

Just make me an offer.

Happy Cruising.

George

[email protected]

Honestly, to me it looks like you are losing $3500.... You are already under the minimum of 31 day to receive any sort of refund.  As of 30 Days, you lose 100% of your cruise fare.

On 12/15/2019 at 2:12 AM, GMusick said:

Hello,

Not to get too personal, but when did you start the new job where you're listing it for sale a week away? Has your manager outright mentioned not being able to honor previous vacations? Might not be too late to go that route as well.

Good luck.