Onboard Credit?

ncnickel

Question - 

I drink alcohol but my partner does not. Moreover, my partner tends to only drink water and some coffees so is not amenable to even the non-alcoholic drink package. Long story short, we won't be getting any drink packages but I will want to be buying drinks while onboard. 

Is there any way to "buy credit" before the cruise that I can use for getting drinks while on board? Basically, we'd like to spread out our purchases so that we're not hit all at once with a big bill when we get off the boat - i.e., trying to prepay for as much as we possibly can now. Since we won't be getting any drink packages, is there a way to pre-pay that now?

30 minutes ago, ncnickel said:

Is there any way to "buy credit" before the cruise that I can use for getting drinks while on board?

You can, but they are convoluted. The easiest and best strategy is to go to Guest Services on the first day of your cruise is to deposit cash.

If you insist on buying OBC, it can be done at https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/ but be sure to read the redemption rules before buying.

2 hours ago, ncnickel said:

Question - 

I drink alcohol but my partner does not. Moreover, my partner tends to only drink water and some coffees so is not amenable to even the non-alcoholic drink package. Long story short, we won't be getting any drink packages but I will want to be buying drinks while onboard. 

Is there any way to "buy credit" before the cruise that I can use for getting drinks while on board? Basically, we'd like to spread out our purchases so that we're not hit all at once with a big bill when we get off the boat - i.e., trying to prepay for as much as we possibly can now. Since we won't be getting any drink packages, is there a way to pre-pay that now?

Your partner could consider a coffee card, which can be purchased in advance through Cruise Planner when available on the ship.  That saves being charged on the ship for espressos, cappuccini, or chai teas from Royal's coffee shop.  If you ever get the Royal Visa (Bank of America) then you would get points for buying your cruise which can be converted to on board credit.  That is what I generally do.  I find that excursions are more expensive than drinks or other purchases on the ships, so I pre-pay them with Cruise Planner.  Have a great cruise!

21 hours ago, Matt said:

You can, but they are convoluted. The easiest and best strategy is to go to Guest Services on the first day of your cruise is to deposit cash.

If you insist on buying OBC, it can be done at https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/ but be sure to read the redemption rules before buying.

Thanks! part of the reason we want to buy it ahead of time vs. on the cruise is to spread out our vacation costs across a few different credit card cycles. I'll have to check out the redemption rules listed there.