Booking a cruise

Kari

I'm a big fan of a travel agent as our many on this site; however, I have booked through Royal directly in the past.  I'm not a huge fan of the mega internet agencies because you often don't have the same agent and some charge a change fee even if it is just for a price adjustment.  Further, if you cruise enough, the agent gets to know you, can make recommendations, and can sometimes get you a better deal.  For instance, next summer, my agent's agency has a group booked on our cruise, so she was able to score us some onboard credit in addition to what was already being offered in the ongoing promo.

I always book directly through royal Caribbean either on the phone or online. I prefer this way as I like to have full control to change things as often as I want rather than with a travel agent and you have to go through them. I guess it depends what you are looking for I think a travel agent would be a good option for a lot of other people

So many reasons to use an TA in my opinion. We are currently using an agent from on of the BIG outfits in Florida and although he is much less personable than our previous local agent, the LARGE agencies are able to offer more incentives. We have booked 4 cruises with him and have received 10% of the cost of each cruise in OBC, in addition to what we get from RCCL.We are relatively young and require little extra attention, as we enjoy doing the research and planning ourselves. My parents however continue to use a local agent they have used for decades and she proves to invaluable time and time again, particularly since they have some accessibility needs. I would expect more personal attention, especially in case of problem, from a local agent but in either case it's nice to have a third party advocate who is able to navigate the cruise line's customer service circles easier. I gladly forfeit my ability to deal directly with the cruiseline because it usually takes more than one call to get an answer or solution and 10% is real $.

Another vote for Travel Agent. One our upcoming Liberty cruise in a Junior Suite we received a total of $700 onboard credit. $350 from TA and $350 from Royal. We use a major online agency but I always request the same agent. For our May 2017 cruise she was able to get us an additional $50 that was not advertised. Loyalty sometimes pays. 

I do not use travel agents but it is a personal choice. Maybe if I was located within the Untied States I would but most travel agents here in Asia seem to know less about cruises than I do. I do believe it is a personal choice but a good Travel Agent is a advocate for the traveler.  I will be the first one to admit I manipulate the system 100% to my benefit so booking direct helps me.  I think you need to do what you are comfortable with. For me that is the cruise lines must meet the terms of the contact 100% of the time, and I am not required to allow for any changes to the contract unless required by the UCC , marine and contract law.

We have used the same TA starting on our first cruise.  On a Mediterranean cruise several years ago our TA bailed us out of a big problem when RC canceled our 5 day cruise tour just 30 days before the cruise.  He got us the same itinerary about $1800 cheaper with private guides and cars.  I could go on about all the special things he set up for the cruisetour but it would take forever.  We also have one set up for Paris and London on our up coming cruise in the Baltics in June.  The TA can be invaluable.

I only recently became a huge fan of using a TA. I had always liked the idea of booking myself because I felt like I had more control over things, but a really good TA is easy to work with and invaluable. Even if you book it yourself, it's an easy process to transfer over to a TA. I definitely recommend using a Travel Agent. 

I've used TAs exclusively until I booked one on RC's site on a whim last fall for this upcoming November, with only a 50/50 chance of me actually taking the cruise.  

A few months later I discovered that the cruise I booked was a Group Cruise for Rum enthusiasts - so totally up my alley! - but you had to book through their specific agent to be part of the group and take the organized excursions, etc.  I tried to get the booking transferred to her, but we were out of the 60 day window and RC *WOULD NOT BUDGE*.  I called three times trying to get a different answer.  I didn't want to cancel and rebook since we got a great deal, plus had a connected Balcony and Indoor room for the kids and I didn't want to risk losing it.  She said don't worry, let me take care of this.  It took several weeks, but RC finally capitulated, and now I'm part of the Rum Cruise!  

I'll always use TAs to save myself the hassle and the heartbreak.

We always booked direct mainly because my wife is a super planner and needs full control, I never questioned that because she does a great job. But now we use a travel agent.

For us the main reason for the switch was unique, or at least iv never read the same reason before. It was because customer service at Royal speaks very poor English, in our experiences atleast. On many occasions we called with questions and had to repeat ourselves (slowly) many times. Just not worth it, it got to the point where we wouldn't call if we needed to.

Also since getting a TA we realized we still are in control of reservations, shows, etc. It's just the money related things we can't control. But a good agent will take care of that for us.

• 3 months later...

I always use a TA. The added service for no additional cost is a no-brainer, for me.

I've not traveled much and have never used a TA. I enjoy getting on the RC cruise planner and making payments, reservations etc on a snowy afternoon in my home. So if you use at TA, must you pay for everything upfront and do you still get to look at your cruise on the RC cruise planner and make dinner reservations when they open up or does everything have to be done by calling the TA and paid up by their timetable rather than RC's timetable?

So if you use at TA, must you pay for everything upfront and do you still get to look at your cruise on the RC cruise planner and make dinner reservations when they open up or does everything have to be done by calling the TA and paid up by their timetable rather than RC's timetable?

Everything is the same when using a TA, the only difference is payments for the cruise are made to the TA (as well as any changes to the cruise booking, like canceling or changing rooms). You still manage shore excursions, dining reservations, spa reservations, etc on your own via the Cruise Planner.

I used to find it fun to manage it too, but I figure let someone else sit on hold with RC to deal with re-pricing or some other mundane task.

Put me firmly in the TA column.

A good TA gets to know your preferences, and based on that, can make suggestions, make booking a trip easier, etc.  They can also watch for price drops, handle arrangements related to the cruise (a hotel and rental car before your cruise, transport back to the airport after, etc).  Plus, you have an advocate in the event anything doesn't go as planned, someone with a more experience and weight to throw around in dealing with cruise lines and other operators.

I book my cruises with a short email or text from my phone.  My agent knows what I like, I'm not clicking around the site paranoid I've misclicked or misread something, and if I need to make a change, guess who doesn't have to sit on hold with a RCCL or others?  Me.

Agreed w/ @monorailmedic... while I do tend to book directly with Royal and shop around for the sailing I want, I will then typically transfer that reservation over to my TA shortly after booking. You still get the control to go in and book fun things yourself like specialty dining, excursions, and drink packages... but all of the repricing/room location perfecting/etc. happens through the agent, and saves me from having to sit on hold... which I have no patience for, admittedly. 

Plus you get the same pricing as RCI plus some level of "incentive" from the TA so it is ALWAYS cheaper to book through a TA (every cruise of mine at least, if someone has gotten a better price direct would love to hear about it)

Do you choose a TA close to you....that someone locally recommends or do you just use one in the same country? I live in VT so my local pickings for a TA are likely going to be slimmer than most. 

Do you choose a TA close to you....that someone locally recommends or do you just use one in the same country? I live in VT so my local pickings for a TA are likely going to be slimmer than most. 

My TA is actually in TN, and I'm in Ohio... the internet makes connecting with reputable TA's much easier. 

My TA is actually in TN, and I'm in Ohio... the internet makes connecting with reputable TA's much easier. 

Agreed.  There is no reason that a TA needs to be local.  I'm also several states away from mine.  If you fill out the free quote section on the RoyalCaribbeanBlog.com homepage you'll get a follow up from an agent at MEI, which is the agency I use (Brock is my agent).  I personally recommend MEI for their great service (and it supports the blog), but there are plenty of good agents out there.  Just know that as mentioned, there are plenty of agencies that offer no personal touch, they're essentially just call centers.

I've used TAs exclusively until I booked one on RC's site on a whim last fall for this upcoming November, with only a 50/50 chance of me actually taking the cruise.  

A few months later I discovered that the cruise I booked was a Group Cruise for Rum enthusiasts - so totally up my alley! - but you had to book through their specific agent to be part of the group and take the organized excursions, etc.  I tried to get the booking transferred to her, but we were out of the 60 day window and RC *WOULD NOT BUDGE*.  I called three times trying to get a different answer.  I didn't want to cancel and rebook since we got a great deal, plus had a connected Balcony and Indoor room for the kids and I didn't want to risk losing it.  She said don't worry, let me take care of this.  It took several weeks, but RC finally capitulated, and now I'm part of the Rum Cruise!  

I'll always use TAs to save myself the hassle and the heartbreak.

I think I just got a little tipsy just thinking about that!  

I do recognize the value of a travel agent (especially for busy folks), but we like to book directly through RC's website... I like the simplicity of selecting the exact room I want (24/7) from the comfort of my home through their website.  As a general rule we like to book early (at least one year in advance) to get the better/best rates and best cabin selection... I actually enjoy monitoring the sales by watching the RC website and by visiting this forum (plus I have the Ship Mate app on my phone which e-mails me when the rate has changed!).  

Up to the point of your final payment, a simple 5-10 minute call (literally) to RC is all it takes for them to update your booking with the new rate (If a new sale is actually a better deal for you).  They are extremely friendly and they e-mail you the new revised booking information to you immediately.  It cannot be any easier for us, but once again, we like to monitor the new sales/promos ourselves!

I use an agency that I found through the internet. Used the "cruise compete" website a few times and they consistently came out lowest, used the same agent there for about 5 years now.

I would say I don't have any proactive service from them/her, but they answer my questions, take care of my issues and give me about 7-8% back on every cruise I book which has added up to a free cruise or two already.