Luggage Handling and Porters

VillainsGin

A friend of mine who is an experience cruiser gave me some tips on my cruise which is less than 30 days away!

He told me to be careful with the porters who takes your bags for you as you arrive at the cruise port.

This happened to him only once but he told me someone pretended to be a porter even with the proper looking attire/uniform helping guest with luggages.

Only to find out he was never an employee and he loaded it onto a van his accomplice was driving and then unloads all the stolen lugagge and come back if it was safe.

This will be my first time ever traveling and going on a cruise, I've never left california.

I'm going on the Symphony of the Seas so I'll be flying to Florida.

I guess the question is:

Anyone have any tips or advice on how to properly identify porters and best way to get your lugagge from one place to another place safely/correctly?

Also includes airports as well too while i'm at it.

I've never heard of it either.  I think it could have happened a decade or so ago but not really now.  Everyone going into the port area needs a reason.  You need to show your id and your set sail pass to the gate to enter the port area.  Workers also have to show their ID to be allowed in.  The porters all know one another and are typically joking around waiting for you and your luggage.  If you see a porter alone and this concerns you, don't use them.  

Just watch your bag to make sure that it gets onto a cart.  They should have the carts sitting there that the porter will walk the bags to.  These are huge crates that hold a ton of bags and they get loaded directly onto the ship when they are full.  

At an airport I never check my bags at the curb.  I always take them inside to the counter.  Bonus is I'm usually flying from warm climates..I can wait inside in the A/C instead out outside in the heat at the curb.

1 hour ago, TJ! said:

This happened to him only once but he told me someone pretended to be a porter even with the proper looking attire/uniform helping guest with luggages.

I think your friend is confusing what happened at the end of Trading Places with what happens in cruise terminals ?

1 hour ago, TJ! said:

Anyone have any tips or advice on how to properly identify porters and best way to get your lugagge from one place to another place safely/correctly?

Also includes airports as well too while i'm at it.

Look for the cart or hand truck...look em in the eye...give them a nice tip...say thanks...have a great time...