First Cruise with the kiddos

AMiller

We are taking the kids on their first cruise and this will be our first Royal Carribean cruise. My kids will be 5 and 6 at the time of sail. I am looking for some pointers and ins and outs for making this an enjoyable experience for all of us. My biggest questions right now are navigating dining options with them, special events they should not miss and what to do in Labadee and Jamaica. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

I'd recommend listening to a recent podcast I did about cruising with kids on Royal Caribbean: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-22-cruising-royal-caribbean-kids

In regards to dining options, a popular choice is bringing kids to Windjammer for dinner prior to whenever your dinner seating is and then dropping the kids off at Adventure Ocean while you and other adult(s) enjoy a quiet dinner in dining room or specialty restaurant.

In Falmouth, we went to Hilton Rose Hall, which is an all-inclusive resort.  They have a GREAT water park with a lazy river and a couple slides. You can see photos and full review here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2011/09/15/excursion-focus-hilton-rose-hall-resort-spa-day-pass

On my past two cruises (first w/kids) Royal Caribbean had a program where the children would sit with us in the main dining room and have an expedited dinner, then the Adventure Ocean staff would come and get them after 30/45 minutes and take them to AO so the parents could finish their dinner any more relaxed manner.

Highly recommended by me. :)

I havent done a Caribbean cruise in a long while.  But I recall in Labadee, I go a kayak and paddled around with my now wife.  There is a nice walk that can be done and some (maybe not so PG) shopping stalls.

As for Jamaica, what port are you stopping at?  I was in Ocho Rios and went to the Dunns River Falls excursion.  That was a blast.

On my past two cruises (first w/kids) Royal Caribbean had a program where the children would sit with us in the main dining room and have an expedited dinner, then the Adventure Ocean staff would come and get them after 30/45 minutes and take them to AO so the parents could finish their dinner any more relaxed manner.

Highly recommended by me. :)

that's a neat idea! leave it to RCI to come up with that niftiness!

I havent done a Caribbean cruise in a long while.  But I recall in Labadee, I go a kayak and paddled around with my now wife.  There is a nice walk that can be done and some (maybe not so PG) shopping stalls.

At Labadee, be sure to bring the kids to the aqua park there.  It's a lot of fun if they are strong swimmers and they will burn off all their energy (for a little while anyway).

What ages are good for the coaster on labadee? Thinking of booking the combo for water park with coaster for my older daughter (6) with me.

Royal Caribbean says "Children between the ages of 5 and 11 may ride in the same cart with their parent/guardian." so to me that says your 6 year old should be okay if you can ride with her.