Sailing from Cape Liberty March 1

JarMar

Hi everyone, I have searched high and low and can't seem to get an answer. Has anyone taken the Anthem or similar from Cape Liberty to Orlando? Based on the distance, I am guessing it's travelling about 12 knots which is half what it's capable of. I just want to know how to pack. Where abouts is the ship on the second day midday and when does it start to get warmer? Also, are the outdoor pools and water slides open when in cold weather? I live in Canada (Vancouver) and in October, the Norwegian Bliss water slides were open in port even though it was cold (around 60-65ish)). I've been on many ships as my husband works as a port agent but we've only ever cruised on one other ship, and that's the Symphony of the Seas back in May, which had an endless array of things to see and do. we were never bored and actually didn't even want to leave the ship! We're anxiously hoping this cruise will be just as well. Anyone know the age range? Is it all older folks, or a good mix like the other modern ships tend to be? We're in our mid 30's and got the booze packages just in case we get bored. Crazy to fly to NYC just to sail south, but the flights were way cheaper than to Florida, and non-stop, and I mean, it's NY, which is fun any time of year, so thought we'd go for it! Any insight? 

I sailed Anthem from NJ in February 2018. If I remember correctly, we were around North Carolina when we woke up the next morning. I believe the outdoor pools etc were open. While it wasn’t very warm, I do remember it being comfortable (probably 60’s) I live in NY so I am used to cold weather, so anything above freezing feels warm to me. Packing wise, we wore warm clothing for embarkation day. On day two jeans and a t-shirt were fine for outside on deck, shorts were also doable as well. For the return trip, the last night we were sailing past DC, and it was quite windy and chilly outside on the upper decks.

5 minutes ago, emsff02 said:

I sailed Anthem from NJ in February 2018. If I remember correctly, we were around North Carolina when we woke up the next morning. I believe the outdoor pools etc were open. While it wasn’t very warm, I do remember it being comfortable (probably 60’s) I live in NY so I am used to cold weather, so anything above freezing feels warm to me. Packing wise, we wore warm clothing for embarkation day. On day two jeans and a t-shirt were fine for outside on deck, shorts were also doable as well. For the return trip, the last night we were sailing past DC, and it was quite windy and chilly outside on the upper decks.

Thanks. This really helps! I suspect they must slow down the ship once it gets to the warmer areas.

Just now, JarMar said:

Thanks. This really helps! I suspect they must slow down the ship once it gets to the warmer areas.

I believe this is correct. I remember some days that the ship was moving at 5-6kts. For the long legs, they do speed up, and probably move the fastest while people are sleeping so they won’t notice the rocking as much. I do remember the ocean voyages north and south having much more felt motion. We were sitting in the MDR for something and watching the horizon moving up and down in the windows and feeling a little disoriented. Once I stopped watching that, that feeling went away.

Anthem is a really fun ship. There are a lot of things to do. Make sure you make reservations for ifly and North Star. We Will Rock You is a great show and very entertaining. Hopefully they have some good bands in the Music Hall for your sailing. 

I sailed the exact same cruise this year from 30Mar to 06Apr and we had to pack both warm and cold weather stuff.  We were on the deck for a little while to enjoy the view but after that we went inside.  I can not give you exact temps but it was cold enough that we both had a jacket on, looking at videos that I took of that day, you had a good mix of folks that had something warm on.  I also remember coming back to cold weather as well, as far as the mix of folks there was a pretty good mix of everything onboard, anything from kids up to people in their 80's and 90's.  Once you get further south as well as further away from the coast the temps will increase.  We are from Virginia so we get cold but NOTHING like what they get further up north so anything below 60 starts to get rather chilly for us.  I can tell you that I would have NO issue booking this cruise again and for the same reasons that you mentioned.  It is cheaper for us to go there vs flying or driving down to Florida, closest port there for us is a 14 hour drive vs a 6 hour drive to Cape Liberty and the price was absolutely AMAZING.  Trust me you guys will have a great time!  Just please take a few minutes to please go and appreciate one of my favorite spots, sitting in 270 looking out the windows and enjoying the absolutely breathtaking view!  I could not imagine being on Ovation and sailing through Alaska and being in there.  

13 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

I sailed the exact same cruise this year from 30Mar to 06Apr and we had to pack both warm and cold weather stuff.  We were on the deck for a little while to enjoy the view but after that we went inside.  I can not give you exact temps but it was cold enough that we both had a jacket on, looking at videos that I took of that day, you had a good mix of folks that had something warm on.  I also remember coming back to cold weather as well, as far as the mix of folks there was a pretty good mix of everything onboard, anything from kids up to people in their 80's and 90's.  Once you get further south as well as further away from the coast the temps will increase.  We are from Virginia so we get cold but NOTHING like what they get further up north so anything below 60 starts to get rather chilly for us.  I can tell you that I would have NO issue booking this cruise again and for the same reasons that you mentioned.  It is cheaper for us to go there vs flying or driving down to Florida, closest port there for us is a 14 hour drive vs a 6 hour drive to Cape Liberty and the price was absolutely AMAZING.  Trust me you guys will have a great time!  Just please take a few minutes to please go and appreciate one of my favorite spots, sitting in 270 looking out the windows and enjoying the absolutely breathtaking view!  I could not imagine being on Ovation and sailing through Alaska and being in there.  

Winters in Vancouver are wet and cool, usually around 50-60 which painful because it's so, so wet. We're not used to the deep freeze of the Atlantic north! I'm sure it will be fine, though. I am really excited about 270! If you haven't done an Alaska cruise, I HIGHLY recommend doing it from Vancouver. More days farther north than when you leave from Seattle. Thank you for the info! 

4 hours ago, JarMar said:

Also, are the outdoor pools and water slides open when in cold weather?

FYI.  Anthem does not have any water slides.  Anthem has 3 pools.  1 is outdoor.  The 2nd for all ages is indoor.  The 3rd is the Solarium (adult only).  JMPO but the Solarium on the Anthem is amazing.  

I have sailed Anthem and Adventure out of Bayonne.  I agree with others we were somewhere in NC for both ships when we woke up in the a.m.  

Our Anthem cruises had a huge range of age groups.  What both our Anthem and Adventure cruises had in common were it was filled with passengers from NY/NJ/PA/CT,  plus states southern like VA and MD.

The 270 also is where you will find the kummelwreck.  If you go there around 12:30 that was the time we found the acrobatic team practicing for their show.

No matter how cold it is, make sure you don't miss the following:

•  The 9/11 Memorial at Cape Liberty.  It was gift from Russia. The tear drop is actually steel from the Twin Towers.  
  •  Regardless of how cold it is go up onto the pool deck for the sail away.Anthem only clears the Verrazano bridge by only 30 feet or so.  You will hear the cars whiz over your head.  They are so close you can see the tires.
  •  The look through floor.  I want to say that is by the WJ.  It is a small cut out with clear flooring that you can look straight down to the Esplanade.

Also feel free to miss The Gift.  95% of passengers, including me will tell you it was not worth it.  Don't miss the 70s show.  Book the acrobatic show that is in the 270 for the 1st available night.  We did not the 1st time on Anthem.  Instead, we booked it for the last night.  The weather was too rocky so they canceled the show.  Luckily since we ate lunch in the 270 we did get to see them practice.

I would def. contact RCL and ask for a window table for dinner, or at least on sea days go to the MDR for lunch and ask for a window table.   

8 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

I would def. contact RCL and ask for a window table for dinner, or at least on sea days go to the MDR for lunch and ask for a window table.   

Can you contact them prior to your cruise to request a certain table (by the window, etc) for dinners?  Or is this something you would just do first day on ship?

We've done Anthem out of Cape Liberty in March twice.  In 2018 for the cruise you are going on and in 2019 for a 12 Night Southern Caribbean.  For both, we were in the high 50s in the morning when we woke up the next day.  I was determined to pack my winter stuff and not use it so I just wore a sweatshirt and jeans and didn't spend much time outside that morning.  By the afternoon it was nice-- mid 60s.  I wouldn't want to swim in that weather, but it was nice for hanging outside and getting some much needed sun.  Coming back, I don't remember as much (probably because I was depressed about returning home).  I do remember that the last full sea day was very cold.