Surge Protectors

Don't forget that most of the newer "flat screen" tv sets have a USB plug in the back.  We have successfully used it to recharge necessary items.

I have read reports of the USB ports being disabled on some ships, don't know if this is true. I'll try this on my next cruise on try and report back. I posted this information because many folks myself included bring along the Belkin combo with

3 outlets and 2 USB ports. I have never had a problem yet. However when the device ages is when it might occur so I decided to not take mine along. I guess I'm using the "Better safe then sorry" mentality.

One other important thing to keep in mind: don't keep anything plugged in when you're not in the room.  I know it's tempting to keep a laptop or tablet charging, but if the charging heats up, with or without a surge protector, no one is there to notice.  I saw this advice on a Disney cruise safety video and it made total sense to me.

Some of the Belkin chargers are the ones that they are saying are a problem....so just be sure that yours does not have a surge protector.  That seems to be the issue of concern.

The Belkin that I have is one that they said is not good....and I just got it....so I will not be taking it again.

You can have a circuit breaker mechanism but not surge protection.

Apparently it is not always easy to determine whether your device has a surge protector...which makes the job harder....but from what I understand, there are only a few devices that do NOT have a surge protector.

To be fair, I have taken so many different types of devices over the years from straight up extension cords (which I NOW know are on the prohibited list) to power strips to the Belkin multi-outlet (including USB ports) device.

If the Cruise lines placed enough outlets within the cabins this would not be a issue. It is only because of cost cutting that this is even a issue.

I agree with the first part of your comment, but disagree with the second sentence particularly because the newer ships across all the lines are being outfitted with more outlets.  The problem--and I've had this in many hotel rooms, too--is that many of the ships were designed years before they were built and have been in service for many years.  If you look at the pervasiveness of electronic devices today versus 10 years ago, it is very different.  Do you remember a time when you only had to charge your phone once or twice a week?  Now, we have computers, tablets, computers, etc. that need to be charged daily, and that is the real problem.

The problem--and I've had this in many hotel rooms, too--is that many of the ships were designed years before they were built and have been in service for many years.  

You have made my point. The needs of the clients have changed, and the cruise ships have not consider these needs and provided for them. As I already said "It is only because of cost cutting..." Every single ship could be refitted with outlets through the cabins, so why has Royal not done it? It comes back to the cost and the return they get. If they add a new bar or on board store it adds revenue, adding outlets shows no direct profit. 

You have made my point. The needs of the clients have changed, and the cruise ships have not consider these needs and provided for them. As I already said "It is only because of cost cutting..." Every single ship could be refitted with outlets through the cabins, so why has Royal not done it? It comes back to the cost and the return they get. If they add a new bar or on board store it adds revenue, adding outlets shows no direct profit. 

Thank you for clarifying.  I took it as "cost cutting" during the original construction instead of retrofitting.  Of course, such a retrofit would require quite a bit of work--thus a dry or wet dock--as the vanities would need to be reconfigured.  I also wonder if they have enough power running to each of the rooms to handle multiple outlets?

I will also agree that there is a trend in the industry--not just with Royal--to remove options and spaces that were once included in the cruise fare and to put an additional fee, revenue generating option in its place.  While I don't like this, I also need to remind myself that they are a publicly traded company and that they ultimately answer to the stockholders and one reason why the stock is doing fairly well, besides lower fuel prices, is onboard revenue.

• 3 months later...

Well, as has been stated above, surge protectors are a no-no .......

I'll be honest, as I look at my power strips at home, I'm not sure which is a surge protector and which is a circuit breaker ...

To make things a little easier, what about good old fashion extension cords to create more outlets.  Obviously, there are no USB outlets, but I just need a few extra electric outlets .....would that be an issue?

Thanks,

Mark

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TXRTNG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So... something like this would be acceptable while in-room?

Yes, because it doesn't offer any kind of surge protection.  However, I'd recommend one with a short cord as the outlets can sometimes be recessed which prevents these types of devices from being able to fit.