Liberty of the Seas - Last minute reservation on NYE cruise questions

texstout

Hi - My family of 4 just secured one of the last cabins on the Liberty of the Seas NYC cruise (Dec 29-Jan5) for a last minute vacation. We went on one RC cruise a few years ago and enjoyed it, but typically travel internationally (non-cruise) or on self-planned off the beaten track trips.  What we liked on our last cruise was relaxing without WiFi and sending the kids to the Kids club (this time they will be 9 and 11). I am normally a big trip planner, but don't have much time now. We will be in a tiny room and I strangely don't care (we stay in luxury hotels frequently but since I"m going in expecting tiny - my expectations are realistic). We are big foodies and love fine dining (of all price points) - I don't have high expectations for cruise food, but I'm sure it'll be okay.

What are some tips and tricks for the NYE cruise with kids?  Specific questions:

- What is the Voyager's Kids Club like? Can the kids check in/out themselves if we allow them? I'm hoping my almost 12 year old 6th grader will have engaging things to do.

- I'm making dining reservations each night. For the nights in MDR, if the kids don't end up coming with us - do we need to change the reservation in advance? (I foresee sometimes they'll just eat in WJ, but don't know in advance).

- Should we do the upcharge for Giovanni's Holiday Meal for NYC?

-Any special NYE events to look forward to?

- If we want to try a few shows, how early do we need to arrive? Is there any online schedules I can look at now?

- Favorite non-RC excursions? (Not looking for large groups). We booked Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Last time we did a trip in GC with Captain Marvin's and loved it. Contemplating do it again or something different. Definitely on the water. In Jamaica, last time we took a private waterfall tour. Thinking about getting a resort pass for the day there.

Other advice?  Thanks!!

I think you will love the holiday sailing.  We have been on Christmas + NY cruises the past few years but this year Royal didn't offer any cruises that covered both holidays.  Boo....

Personally, I would NOT pay for the special holiday meal. IMO it is just a price gouge.  I AM a fan of the dining packages, in general, but this option, in particular, is one that I don't feel is worth the extra money.  I think they give you a little champagne and a canape or 2.

We were able to request that our 11 year old be moved up to the teen group - he was also a 6th grader.  He had a good time and made a few friends.  He did not have a good time in the Kids club group which was 9-11.  I'm pretty sure you can allow them to sign themselves out either way.  

The MDR food is the equivalent of eating very good banquet food - the specialty restaurants are equivalent to good - but not great restaurants. 

You may consider Paradise Beach over Nachi Cocom in Cozumel - Its my son's favorite place.  Lots of inflatables in the water.

19 hours ago, texstout said:

What is the Voyager's Kids Club like? Can the kids check in/out themselves if we allow them? I'm hoping my almost 12 year old 6th grader will have engaging things to do

If you allow your child, yes, he/she can check themselves out. I think you still have to check them in, but I could be wrong about that.

For the nights in MDR, if the kids don't end up coming with us - do we need to change the reservation in advance?

Nope. Just let them know it's less people when you show up.

Should we do the upcharge for Giovanni's Holiday Meal for NYC?

I love Giovanni's Table, but you're paying for the privilege of eating at that restaurant on a holiday. So unless you really want that specialty restaurant experience on NYE, I'd skip and pay for it another night when it's cheaper.

Any special NYE events to look forward to?

I'm certain there will be lots of parties going on. Cruise Planner will have specifics.

If we want to try a few shows, how early do we need to arrive? Is there any online schedules I can look at now?

I'd recommend arriving 20-30 minutes early for the show.

You can see examples of schedules in our Cruise Compass section: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

Favorite non-RC excursions? (Not looking for large groups). We booked Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Last time we did a trip in GC with Captain Marvin's and loved it. Contemplating do it again or something different. Definitely on the water. In Jamaica, last time we took a private waterfall tour. Thinking about getting a resort pass for the day there.

Cozumel: Paradise Beach is a great alternative to Nachi, if you don't want all-inclusive. I also like El Cozumeleno for an alternative all inclusive.