I did it...I made a Star Class reservation!!!

Kathleen

Having read this blog often and long enough, the peer pressure became too much and I reserved a Star Class  2 BR Aqua Theater Suite on Oasis of the Seas. I longed for that balcony and all the discussed Star Class perks was just too much. The sailing isn't until Jan 2022 but boy does it feel good to have finally done it. Initially we booked a Junior Suite, but after much teeth gnashing we booked the Aqua Suite since it was the least expensive Star Class. We feel a little bad since there are just 2 of us, but that balcony was just too hard to turn down. I can't wait to get all the expert advice as the time nears closer but until then I will have to let this initial booking excitement carry me. (We have 2 cruises booked in between so that will be a good distraction.)

1 hour ago, Kathleen said:

Having read this blog often and long enough, the peer pressure became too much and I reserved a Star Class  2 BR Aqua Theater Suite on Oasis of the Seas. I longed for that balcony and all the discussed Star Class perks was just too much. The sailing isn't until Jan 2022 but boy does it feel good to have finally done it. Initially we booked a Junior Suite, but after much teeth gnashing we booked the Aqua Suite since it was the least expensive Star Class. We feel a little bad since there are just 2 of us, but that balcony was just too hard to turn down. I can't wait to get all the expert advice as the time nears closer but until then I will have to let this initial booking excitement carry me. (We have 2 cruises booked in between so that will be a good distraction.)

There are some great rates for Oasis in 2022!  A whole bunch of us booked Star for Oasis on March 13, 2022, we have all but one Star class cabin booked.  Another group I know have a bunch booked in Star class on January 16, 2022.  There's great rates on that sailing too.

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

There are some great rates for Oasis in 2022!  A whole bunch of us booked Star for Oasis on March 13, 2022, we have all but one Star class cabin booked.  Another group I know have a bunch booked in Star class on January 16, 2022.  There's great rates on that sailing too.

We took the price of 2 BR AQUA and subtracted the costs of all the perks you can place a specific value on (UDP, Drink package, WiFi, and tips, and it came to about $1000 more per person with an average value for those subtracted. We decided we’d each pay $1000 more per person than the Junior Suite just for the fabulous balcony so the other pampering/ genie perks were just a plus at that point! Really appreciate everyone’s encouragement. We will be on the Jan 9, 2022 sailing. I feel fortunate to have found this blog as I wouldn’t have known to make reservations so far in advance to snag such a room.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Did you end up upgrading to Star for March 15th?

We did not, we are staying in Sky Class for the B2B in March.  It was tempting, but we upgraded to Star for the 10/2020 Allure sailing...and the 2/2021 Anthem ... I'm seeing a trend ????

Star Loft wasn't something you like?  I do think once you have travelled star class you are spoiled forever but a large chunk of your paid for space in a 2br is going to go unused by you.  I think in a star loft you will use all of your space and the balcony is still huge.  Personally I would even go OPS or GPS over the Star Loft (in-fact I have made that choice twice) but the balcony is much smaller (though you do get a jacuzzi).

1 hour ago, Kathleen said:

We took the price of 2 BR AQUA and subtracted the costs of all the perks you can place a specific value on (UDP, Drink package, WiFi, and tips, and it came to about $1000 more per person with an average value for those subtracted. We decided we’d each pay $1000 more per person than the Junior Suite just for the fabulous balcony so the other pampering/ genie perks were just a plus at that point! Really appreciate everyone’s encouragement. We will be on the Jan 9, 2022 sailing. I feel fortunate to have found this blog as I wouldn’t have known to make reservations so far in advance to snag such a room.

We're on the same sailing and also in a 2BR Aqua! (With our teen sons -- we'll ask them to keep their volume down so they don't disturb the nice neighbors... ? )

I think you made a great decision. Now the tough part... waiting two years!

10 hours ago, jgoodm said:

Star Loft wasn't something you like?  I do think once you have travelled star class you are spoiled forever but a large chunk of your paid for space in a 2br is going to go unused by you.  I think in a star loft you will use all of your space and the balcony is still huge.  Personally I would even go OPS or GPS over the Star Loft (in-fact I have made that choice twice) but the balcony is much smaller (though you do get a jacuzzi).

Star Lofts are notoriously more expensive than the 2BR ATS.  The 2BR ATS is usually the cheapest way to snag Star Class for 2 people.

10 hours ago, jgoodm said:

I completely agree with this.  Having done all of the SC room options except for the Royal Loft and the new UPS on Oasis, I would fully enjoyed the GPS more than any of the others. It is so unfortunate that they did not retain these rooms with Harmony and Symphony (and presumably any of the new O class ships).  It was a wonderful choice.  No long walk (ATS) and no stairs to climb (loft suites).  I thought I would miss the big balcony but I did not.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I completely agree with this.  Having done all of the SC room options except for the Royal Loft and the new UPS on Oasis, I would fully enjoyed the GPS more than any of the others. It is so unfortunate that they did not retain these rooms with Harmony and Symphony (and presumably any of the new O class ships).  It was a wonderful choice.  No long walk (ATS) and no stairs to climb (loft suites).  I thought I would miss the big balcony but I did not.

As @AshleyDillo pointed out We chose the 2BR ATS because it was the least expensive Entry into Star Class. We will have to keep an eye out for your suggestions possibly in the future. And so it begins......

10 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is exactly where we started, so I completely understand.  The ATS are very exciting and impressive rooms.  It is a great choice.

Like the gateway drug of SC..so cheap and gets you hooked!  ?

The only SC room that I've ever seen run cheaper than the 2BR ATS was the Villa..talk about overkill of space for only 2 people then!  (It's hit or miss that they'll let you book this one for only 2..but sometimes it happens!)

The new UPS suites over the bridge look stunning for two people but the lack of a balcony is a no go for me.  I didn't know about the 2BR ATS being the cheapest.  I guess its a discount for not being on the 17th floor?  ?‍♂️  Check the GPS/OPS prices.  Not sure how they compare in price to the ATS but for two people those are amazing rooms.  I keep booking those for now.  Once my kids are too big to share that little balcony, we'll be switching rooms.

Wow that's a big difference.  Odd that RC seems to incentivize 2 person use of 2 BR cabins.  Wouldn't have thought pricing would work like that... Those cabins look great though.  I am staying in one for the first time next year.  Though I have toured them several times I have never cruised in one...

On 12/11/2019 at 10:00 PM, jgoodm said:

the biggest problem IMO is traveling star and then going on a ship without it.  We did Star on Anthem twice and are now going on Grandeur and Serenade in 2020....and we are like "wait...we need to buy drink packages and pay for dining again?????? Why are there tips on our bill?"   ?

19 hours ago, jgoodm said:

Wow that's a big difference.  Odd that RC seems to incentivize 2 person use of 2 BR cabins.  Wouldn't have thought pricing would work like that... Those cabins look great though.  I am staying in one for the first time next year.  Though I have toured them several times I have never cruised in one...

I agree that, on the surface, it wouldn't  make sense, but when you consider the percentage off 3rd and 4th guests , you can add guests over 21 for less than the cost  of the drink package in some cases. Add in the additional  benefits and RCL is ahead with 2 in the suite.

Just now, Ogilthorpe said:

I agree that, on the surface, it wouldn't  make sense, but when you consider the percentage off 3rd and 4th guests , you can add guests over 21 for less than the cost  of the drink package in some cases. Add in the additional  benefits and RCL is ahead with 2 in the suite.

This!!! ^^^ !!

For the Villa I have booked it's only $775 to add additional people to the room.  This room holds up to 14 people..so the per person price can drop significantly when you start bringing more people in.

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

For the Villa I have booked it's only $775 to add additional people to the room.  This room holds up to 14 people..so the per person price can drop significantly when you start bringing more people in.

^^^And this!

Point proven with our Villa booking a year from today on Harmony.  By maxing out the room at 14 people, we are all paying just a bit over $900 per person.  Less than an interior on some sailings!  Going to be a tight squeeze but we are close family so it's all good lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 5:28 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You got that right...booked the 1/16/22 one in a Jr Suite on my Indy cruise earlier this week.