Aft balcony rooms

Geoff P

I've seen posts on here saying how good and desirable these rooms are and that they usually sell out pretty fast and having never stayed in one I was looking at possibly trying one out.  I was just curious, are there certain ships where they are better than others?  I was looking at Freedom of the seas and I thought it was strange that on multiple decks all of the Aft balcony rooms were available, Aft facing I should say, except the suites were booked.

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, the older ships primarily. Radiance and Vision class ships.

@Matt  Is this because those ships do not have any venues in the aft that new ships have so your view is only ocean?  I have not been on many ships and wanting to get an understanding of why that would be.

21 minutes ago, CruisinUpinLife said:

@Matt  Is this because those ships do not have any venues in the aft that new ships have so your view is only ocean?  I have not been on many ships and wanting to get an understanding of why that would be.

It's not so much about "venues" as it is about the ships' superstructures.  Both the Voyager and Freedom Class ships have steel superstructures that rather obstruct the views from the aft cabins.  I have booked aft cabins on both Voyager and Freedom Class ships and I still enjoy the extra balcony space but the Vision and Radiance class ships do not have such superstructure obstructions.

I had a corner aft facing on Navigator in September on deck 6 and loved it, it was assigned to me via GTY booking. The superstructure was certainly there but we still had a great view and a huge balcony. It was a long walk to the room from the stairs but we're fit enough (not very) it didn't bother us.   For January on Mariner I was again assigned an aft facing, but it's not the corner, its next to the corner on deck 7. I can let you know how I like it after January 3rd ?

We have a corner aft JS on Rhapsody next Oct. It's one of only two like it on the ship. I booked it 19 mos out though and I think the other booked shortly after. The other aft cabins booked booked up not to long after that. It has an extra large balcony, deck 8, below the spa. Should also be very quiet.

Happy Cruising!

On Freedom (and any Freedom or Voyager class ship)  the deck 7 & deck 10 corners are great cabins.  On Deck 7 the balcony is huge and offers a great view out the side.  Deck 10 has a room about as big as a JS but for a lesser price.  Sometimes these do not show up as available, even if they are, when booking for just 2 people as they can both occupy more than 2.  A travel agent should be able to help you there.

I was just on Navigator and had an aft balcony on deck 10, under the Windjammer.  Here's a Periscope that I posted - the balcony is at the very end and shows the interference of the superstructure of the ship.  This did not bother us AT ALL - the views were still beautiful and I actually appreciated the bit of shade in the corner because I'm a bit of a vampire.  It was totally worth it - the room had the square footage that was closer to a Jr Suite.  There was no noise from the Windjammer, although from the balcony you could hear whatever music they were playing up at the FlowRider, which did go on 24/7 (I went out onto the balcony at 3:30 am one morning, because why on earth would I be sleeping at 3:30 in the morning??) and could clearly hear the bass from the music. Why they'd keep the music on up there all night long is anyone's guess.  But there it is.  Couldn't hear it from inside the room.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOGwaVMyWLxB?t=1s

7 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It's not so much about "venues" as it is about the ships' superstructures.  Both the Voyager and Freedom Class ships have steel superstructures that rather obstruct the views from the aft cabins.  I have booked aft cabins on both Voyager and Freedom Class ships and I still enjoy the extra balcony space but the Vision and Radiance class ships do not have such superstructure obstructions.

I agree the radiance class aft cabins have unobstructed views cannot speak for other classes .....? YET

50 minutes ago, SassMaster said:

I am in the Aft, Port side, on the Oasis. Deck 8.  It is the 3rd room from the back.  Anyone have any idea on how the view is from here?  Any obstruction?  

You won't have an aft-facing view (which is what people are referring to in this post) - here's a photo facing forward from room 8326, and then a video from a deck above and a few cabins forward, if that helps at all!

8326.PNG.2af521cc927a36db4ef097838de222be.PNG

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I was just on Navigator and had an aft balcony on deck 10, under the Windjammer.  Here's a Periscope that I posted - the balcony is at the very end and shows the interference of the superstructure of the ship.  This did not bother us AT ALL - the views were still beautiful and I actually appreciated the bit of shade in the corner because I'm a bit of a vampire.  It was totally worth it - the room had the square footage that was closer to a Jr Suite.  There was no noise from the Windjammer, although from the balcony you could hear whatever music they were playing up at the FlowRider, which did go on 24/7 (I went out onto the balcony at 3:30 am one morning, because why on earth would I be sleeping at 3:30 in the morning??) and could clearly hear the bass from the music. Why they'd keep the music on up there all night long is anyone's guess.  But there it is.  Couldn't hear it from inside the room.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1vOGwaVMyWLxB?t=1s

Thanks for the video.  We have to one booked on the other corner for Mariner.  Great to hear that there was no noise from the WIndjammer.  Hearing music on the balcony is ok as long as you can't hear it from the room.  Question...with the room size, do you think there is room for an additional cot?  

The view and large balcony looks great!  Doesn't seem to be a ton of super structure.

1 minute ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks for the video.  We have to one booked on the other corner for Mariner.  Great to hear that there was no noise from the WIndjammer.  Hearing music on the balcony is ok as long as you can't hear it from the room.  Question...with the room size, do you think there is room for an additional cot?  

The view and large balcony looks great!  Doesn't seem to be a ton of super structure.

You mean in addition to the twin beds (which can be pushed together to be one) and the full sized pull-out sofa? That would be pushing it, I think.

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

You mean in addition to the twin beds (which can be pushed together to be one) and the full sized pull-out sofa? That would be pushing it, I think.

Yeah....thinking so our kids don't have to share a sofa bed.  They'll make do, but just checking since the room itself is bigger. Thanks.

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

They could do the twin beds and you and your wife could sleep on the sofa bed together? (Ha, I bet that'd go over well).

I'm the wife....lol.... (can't tell from my name)

True, that would work, but don't think DH would settle for the sofa bed.  Thanks for the suggestion though.