Questions regarding drinks and gratuities

catima

I am going on my first cruise in June and I have a couple of questions!

Is it possible to get a drink package for only one or two days, or does it have to be for the whole cruise?

Is the gratuity charge the same for all passengers, children and adults?

Thank you for any comments and advice :)

You cannot buy drink package for one or 2 days.  4 days (last 4) is minimum.  from the day you buy it, you must but it for all remaining days of cruise.  last day you can buy it is when there are 4 days left.  Gratuity is charged for all passengers and is the same for adults and children.

Is the gratuity charge the same for all passengers, children and adults?

The percent is the same but the only two drink packages you would buy for a children is the two lowest priced non alcohol packages so the total gratuity charge for a child soda package is much less than a adult all alcohol package. 

What is the common or accepted practice with regards to gratuities for the alcohol packages?  I have never been on a RC cruise before, and for my upcoming cruise I have purchased the premium drink package.  18% is already included in the price, am I supposed to tip additional on that for each drink?  Do I have to sign a slip each time I get a drink or do they just hand me one because I have a package? Is it different when going up to a bar to get a drink, verses a server bringing me one poolside or at a table?  Are additional tips expected with the drink packages?  I'm just curious as to what the common practice is.  Thank you for any input.

You are not required to tip beyond the tip already paid with the beverage package; however, some choose to do so especially for exceptional service. While you may receive a slip to sign with a gratuity line, you can simply cross through it or leave it blank.

What is the common or accepted practice with regards to gratuities for the alcohol packages?  I have never been on a RC cruise before, and for my upcoming cruise I have purchased the premium drink package.  18% is already included in the price, am I supposed to tip additional on that for each drink?  Do I have to sign a slip each time I get a drink or do they just hand me one because I have a package? Is it different when going up to a bar to get a drink, verses a server bringing me one poolside or at a table?  Are additional tips expected with the drink packages?  I'm just curious as to what the common practice is.  Thank you for any input.

The drink packages include 18% gratuity, so you are under no obligation to provide any other tips (unless you'd like to).

What is the common or accepted practice with regards to gratuities for the alcohol packages? I have never been on a RC cruise before, and for my upcoming cruise I have purchased the premium drink package. 18% is already included in the price, am I supposed to tip additional on that for each drink? Do I have to sign a slip each time I get a drink or do they just hand me one because I have a package? Is it different when going up to a bar to get a drink, verses a server bringing me one poolside or at a table? Are additional tips expected with the drink packages? I'm just curious as to what the common practice is. Thank you for any input.

I think 18% is a decent tip so I rarely tip in addition. When I do its because I feel 'tip shame' or because I'll need his attention again (more a bribe than a tip). Sometimes it is because I really enjoyed the person, but 18% is fair in my eyes.

I think 18% is a decent tip so I rarely tip in addition. When I do its because I feel 'tip shame' or because I'll need his attention again (more a bribe than a tip). Sometimes it is because I really enjoyed the person, but 18% is fair in my eyes.

I don't think 18% is fair it is extortion by the cruise line, it is not a tip but a service fee. Anytime someone tells me I must pay a tip I will find a way not to do so a tip voluntary a added service charge is not. I fully understand most people do not agree with my option here but it is my money and I'm free to spend as I see fit. 

So I buy a drink package and then always find a way to get back more than Royal steals from me. And yes I consider it to be no different than holding a gun and saying give me your wallet. I want to be able to tip as I see fit. Royal needs to pay their employees and stop stealing from the passengers.

Todd, why do you cruise if you feel the company is stealing from you ? I don't understand that. Literally.

Because I take back more than they are stealing. If they want to play the games I play right back and always win. Why would I stop cruising with them? Just work their own system against them. Royal is 100% for Royal I am 100% for myself and those traveling with me.

Well that sounds like a nice relaxing way to enjoy a vacation. Working systems and playing games. Ok. I get it now.

Here a really interesting idea..... You do whatever you want on your vacation, handle tips, staff, tours, exactly as you want.... I will respect that it is your money and your vacation.... maybe you can do the same for me....... Because does not really matter, if you get it, approve, disapprove, like, or don't like, I will keep doing exactly what I feel is best for me..... I hope it is very clear now...... Have a great next cruise.

That escalated quickly... Anchorman movie reference, the original better one. Tipping, what a goodie box of possibilities.

To insure promptness was the basic story I thought but it has a more colourful history via an interesting site.

Could a cruise line market/compete with a no extra gratuity offering? Either lower wages or raise the ticket cost are the only two choices.

That $499 cruise is not enough for competitve wages AND the profit margin the company requires. The fare needs to be subsidized.

The site I looked at had some interesting cases about the "mandatory" tips from restaurant cases in the US. Turns out mandatory is not a legally enforcable statement, on land anyway. Get bad service in that "large group" table service and don't leave the mandatory you can get taken to court. You'll win but still.

Good service should get rewarded, but why did the food service industry manage to make it their own? The Home Depot guy in plumbing who helps for 30 minutes finding the right fittings, no tip for him?

One thing that always bugged was the amount of service vs the amount of tip. Open a bottle of beer, $1... open a $50 bottle of wine, $10 tip. Same amount of work. For another day.

Good service should get rewarded, but why did the food service industry manage to make it their own? The Home Depot guy in plumbing who helps for 30 minutes finding the right fittings, no tip for him?

One thing that always bugged was the amount of service vs the amount of tip. Open a bottle of beer, $1... open a $50 bottle of wine, $10 tip. Same amount of work. For another day.

I believe you are correct it is the responsibility of the cruise line to pay their own staff. I'm sure if many or most passengers started removing these auto added daily tip fees that the lines would quickly change the policies. As for your second point I always question that a server takes care of you for a whole meal makes several trips to your table and spends 30 to 45 minutes providing service. a bartender(or service person) opens one bottle and gets the same time time. Again not a fair system, added to the fact that the wine bottle is already marked up 200 to 300%.

Tipping on cruise ships is how the lines steal from passengers and cheat the staff. We do not give the Captain extra, we do not tip the dock worker for tying up the ship, we do not tip the truck driver who brings the supplies to the ship. Some say that they are poor third World workers that need to be helped. I agree many are but you help them by getting them fair wages from the company.