Where do I keep my stuff during the excursions?

xchellz

I am doing things like parasailing in haiti, zip lining in jamaica and a ruin tour in mexico. what do i do with my stuff while i’m doing these things? I plan to bring a backpack with a change of clothes and other essentials but i’m not sure what i do with it. any help would be appreciated as this will be my first time ? Also if you have done any of these specific excursions, what did you do?

1 hour ago, xchellz said:

I am doing things like parasailing in haiti, zip lining in jamaica and a ruin tour in mexico. what do i do with my stuff while i’m doing these things? I plan to bring a backpack with a change of clothes and other essentials but i’m not sure what i do with it. any help would be appreciated as this will be my first time ? Also if you have done any of these specific excursions, what did you do?

There are times we've used lockers (like swimming through a cave), and other times I have used a waterproof pouch tucked under a shirt to protect seapass and ID.  Don't take passports to fancy excursions.  Going to ruins isn't a problem, it is the more active stuff that runs the risk of dropping/losing something.  Some lockers have cheap locks that don't offer much protection, while others are much better.  Depends on the excursion.  To be sure, invest in a phone-sized waterproof lanyard for the occasional snorkeling trip. Some boat guides are trustworthy -- depends on the situation - and allow you to leave a backpack safely on the boat.  But when there are 30 or more folks crammed in the vessel, I don't like my odds leaving valuables behind.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

54 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

There are times we've used lockers (like swimming through a cave), and other times I have used a waterproof pouch tucked under a shirt to protect seapass and ID.  Don't take passports to fancy excursions.  Going to ruins isn't a problem, it is the more active stuff that runs the risk of dropping/losing something.  Some lockers have cheap locks that don't offer much protection, while others are much better.  Depends on the excursion.  To be sure, invest in a phone-sized waterproof lanyard for the occasional snorkeling trip. Some boat guides are trustworthy -- depends on the situation - and allow you to leave a backpack safely on the boat.  But when there are 30 or more folks crammed in the vessel, I don't like my odds leaving valuables behind.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

What do you mean by "don't take passports to fancy excursions?" I thought we needed it every time we got off the ship. For example, when I go parasailing and zip lining, I feel as though I need my backpack but cannot have it while I'm doing the actual activities. 

13 minutes ago, xchellz said:

What do you mean by "don't take passports to fancy excursions?" I thought we needed it every time we got off the ship. For example, when I go parasailing and zip lining, I feel as though I need my backpack but cannot have it while I'm doing the actual activities. 

You never need your passport on an excursion.  You may be required to provide "other" identification (in addition to your seapass.  Driver's license is the easiest to take, IMO) but you never NEED to take your passport out of the safe.  Many disagree....it's very divided here...so while some WILL take their passports, you do not NEED to take your passport.

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You never need your passport on an excursion.  You may be required to provide "other" identification (in addition to your seapass.  Driver's license is the easiest to take, IMO) but you never NEED to take your passport out of the safe.  Many disagree....it's very divided here...so while some WILL take their passports, you do not NEED to take your passport.

Oh wow, that changes everything. I genuinely thought I needed it in combination with my ID and seapass card to get back on to the ship.

Of course, the "Take your passport with you" crowd will point out that if you miss the ship (you get sick, injured, lose track of time, whatever), you will need a passport to get on a flight to the next port or home.  The ship's crew will attempt to deliver your passport to the port before they leave but if they can't find it, they'll still be leaving.  Then, you may need to visit your country's embassy/consul to obtain a new passport before you can continue your travels.  Fun fact, not every port has an embassy from every country which means another side trip just to do that.  (And if the closest embassy is on a different island...well, you've got an interesting situation!)

There will almost always be a place to lock your belongings up.  I did the parasailing on Labadee, they have lockers to rent on the island.  I actually did the zipline and parasailing.  I rented the locker for the zipline and could have kept it for the remainder of the day but I just gathered my backpack after the zipline and carried it around with me.  While on the parasailing tour, I and several others left our backpacks on the boat.  There was 8-12 people on the boat and two at any time would get on the parasail.  They had us move around the boat as two came back on two were getting ready to sail.  I actually gave my camera to the tour operator to take photos of us while we were up there.

The cruise compass will post what is required to get back on the ship (usually your sea pass and a photo ID).  If a passport is required to reboard they will let you know in the cruise compass and will be posted as you leave the gangway.  

In most cases whether you have your passport or not when going ashore is a matter of personal choice and comfort level.

16 hours ago, DandA said:

There will almost always be a place to lock your belongings up.  I did the parasailing on Labadee, they have lockers to rent on the island.  I actually did the zipline and parasailing.  I rented the locker for the zipline and could have kept it for the remainder of the day but I just gathered my backpack after the zipline and carried it around with me.  While on the parasailing tour, I and several others left our backpacks on the boat.  There was 8-12 people on the boat and two at any time would get on the parasail.  They had us move around the boat as two came back on two were getting ready to sail.  I actually gave my camera to the tour operator to take photos of us while we were up there.

The cruise compass will post what is required to get back on the ship (usually your sea pass and a photo ID).  If a passport is required to reboard they will let you know in the cruise compass and will be posted as you leave the gangway.  

In most cases whether you have your passport or not when going ashore is a matter of personal choice and comfort level.

This was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

On 12/9/2019 at 10:38 AM, xchellz said:

I think others have answered your question already; I've never needed my passport to get back on the ship.  Some countries require the ship to collect passports to complete immigration processes, but they are returned to you in time to disembark.  I also recall a time at Key West when we cleared US immigration on the ship because we had "returned" to the US even though we hadn't reached our disembarkation port.