Nassau-Distillery

devbak150

Thinking about walking ourselves to the John Watkin's Distillery.  Any idea if it is a mild, easy walk?  Best directions to get there?  I won't have phone for directions on me.  Does anyone know if the run is cheaper there or same price as the liquor store closer to the port.  Just don't want to lug glass rum bottles for a long distance if we can get the same thing at one of the shops right by the ship. Also, any cool places to drink/eat.  Anywhere else to visit other than straw market?  Plan is to get off ship early and be back on ship for lunch.  Thanks!

Sounds like what we did a couple of years ago.  I don't remember the exact amount of time the walk was but I want to say 35 minutes?  It was uphill a bit but nothing too crazy.  I just printed google directions before we went because I knew I wouldn't have my phone.  Try to check the opening time.  We ended up there about a half hour before they opened and just hung around the grounds with very large resident chickens!  We bought a bottle of rum there and just had it in the backpack, not a big deal and I don't recall seeing it for sale anywhere else.  We asked for directions from the Distillery to Queens Staircase and they all said we would need a taxi.  Based on my prior research I ignored this and we walked!  It was great and not too crazy either.  We really enjoyed both the distillery and Queens staircase.  I feel like we were done by about 12:30-1:00 pm and could have gone back to the ship for lunch but we decided to taxi over to check out Atlantis.  I feel like we would not have been disappointed if we skipped Atlantis.  We then did the Straw Market and would definitely skip this next time.  Hope this helps.  A lot of people will say they feel unsafe in Nassau but we didn't feel unsafe once and walked around lots that day!

We went there and Graycliffs a few months ago.  It was July and hot so we took a cab right outside of the port.  It was $30 for the 5 of us and maybe a 5-10 min drive.  It is up a hill.  The tour is maybe 20-30 mins.  Nothing spectacular.  However, they do sell flights of rum really cheap at their bar, and it has an amazing view.  Can't tell you if or how much it was on the ship bc we purchased a bottle at the factory.  It was probably a 25 min walk all downhill so it wasn't an issue.  When we left, we passed Graycliffs and popped in for their tour....this would be a tour I would say you are missing nothing if you don't do it.  (Been to Cadburys in the UK, Haights in Australia, and Hersheys in US)   The chocolates are good.  On the walk back you will pass a lot of restaurants.  We opted not to go to any of them, instead we came back and hung out in the Solarium   Loved that because we were able to get loungers and hang in the pool with nobody around.  (We were on Adventure)

This was our 2nd time in Bahama.  If we go again, there will really be no reason to get off the ship, which I am fine with, especially after enjoying the less crowds this past cruise.