Recommended airports for Cape Liberty sailings

Mark B

While rated one of the worst airports in the country, hands down another vote for EWR (Newark). Both JFK & LGA are about an hour from Cape Liberty depending on what traffic is doing. I've personally done Cape Liberty to JFK for a flight to DR after a cruise and it wasn't that bad (Thursday late morning).

Coming from upstate NY a bit, I do my best to avoid JFK or LGA whenever possible, it's a stressful journey. Once we got stuck in Mets traffic, ugh, luckily we gave ourselves time for dinner because we needed it for traffic. With that said, out of the two, I'd rather journey into JFK vs LGA but at that point, whichever is going to give you the best options (price, direct airlines, etc).

You might also want to check out what HPN & SWF are doing depending where you're traveling from. HPN is a small airport in Westchester County, NY and about an hour and half from port. SWF is in Orange County, NY with very limited direct flights and is just under two hours. Personally, I'd rather the ride from Westchester with less stress than dealing with NYC traffic to either JFK/LGA. (If the prices are reasonable and direct service is available).

In all seriousness, I've flown through a quite a few airports in my day (including two in Russia in the 90s!), and LGA is far and away my least favorite airport I've ever had the misfortune of being routed through.  Constant delays, poor service, limited transportation options, inconvenient to nearly everything and subpar facilities.  I live in the area and absolutely refuse to go through LGA.

6 hours ago, Sweety said:

We always fly SWA. They do not go into Newark anymore. They fly into LGA. What is wrong with LGA? We are booking our flights next Thursday.

$110 Uber ride to the port from LGA.

That’s icing on the disaster that LGA is.  Least favorite airport ever.  If my ex asked for flight advise I might even not offer an LGA connection to her.   It’s that bad. On second thought maybe I’d bite my tongue. Yeah, use LGA.   

For an upcoming cruise I cancelled my SWA trip I had booked into EWR and paid a little more on Delta just to fly into EWR.  

17 hours ago, Sweety said:

We always fly SWA. They do not go into Newark anymore. They fly into LGA. What is wrong with LGA? We are booking our flights next Thursday.

LGA is hotbed of mess. I live fairly close to both JFK and LGA. LGA is completely under construction and, at times, VERY hard to get in and out. I'll drive car park place and have them shuttle us to the airport. The roads are a mess, just getting there it can take me 25 minutes or 50 minutes depending on traffic and if whatever exit I need to use is closed that day.  The inside of LGA is getting better but one of the VP's called it a "third world country" once upon entering. I don't mind it too much but I refuse to use UBER or LYFT from there right now because it's a VERY long walk to where you need to be and it's not marked well. You're basically walking with a ton of luggage around a ton of construction and not 100% sure you're going the right way. Now saying that, construction will eventually be done buttttttttttttttttttttt...as you can tell I'm not very positive. If you can anticipate this you may be fine or pleasantly surprised by the time you fly. For reference - I was at LGA last month.

LGA or JFK to Cape Liberty is really a crap shoot. I live about 25-35 miles from both - from where I live to Cape Liberty without traffic it's just under an hour so technically if leaving from JFK or LGA without traffic it's about 40 mins. Rush hour could be an hour more or depending on traffic and time of the year, more.

5 hours ago, ellcee said:

LGA is hotbed of mess. I live fairly close to both JFK and LGA. LGA is completely under construction and, at times, VERY hard to get in and out. I'll drive car park place and have them shuttle us to the airport. The roads are a mess, just getting there it can take me 25 minutes or 50 minutes depending on traffic and if whatever exit I need to use is closed that day.  The inside of LGA is getting better but one of the VP's called it a "third world country" once upon entering. I don't mind it too much but I refuse to use UBER or LYFT from there right now because it's a VERY long walk to where you need to be and it's not marked well. You're basically walking with a ton of luggage around a ton of construction and not 100% sure you're going the right way. Now saying that, construction will eventually be done buttttttttttttttttttttt...as you can tell I'm not very positive. If you can anticipate this you may be fine or pleasantly surprised by the time you fly. For reference - I was at LGA last month.

LGA or JFK to Cape Liberty is really a crap shoot. I live about 25-35 miles from both - from where I live to Cape Liberty without traffic it's just under an hour so technically if leaving from JFK or LGA without traffic it's about 40 mins. Rush hour could be an hour more or depending on traffic and time of the year, more.

Flying June 2021.

23 hours ago, teddy said:

Our experience with LGA over the past couple years has consisted of construction and delays.  

We have decided to avoid from now on, even if doing so means paying a bit more.

LGA has been in a constant state of upheaval / construction for the last 40 years, it seems. There are reasons to use it, but just know what you are getting into.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:28 PM, Ken23 said:

Also to note if flying into Newark...not sure if this stat is still correct, but back in 2016 United Airlines controlled 70% of the flights into EWR.   To some people, that might make a difference.

I'm not sure about 70% but they are the only airline in Terminal C.

Which, if you have lounge via a CC or something, forget it. United Clubs only.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:26 PM, twangster said:

$110 Uber ride to the port from LGA.

That’s icing on the disaster that LGA is.  Least favorite airport ever.  If my ex asked for flight advise I might even not offer an LGA connection to her.   It’s that bad. On second thought maybe I’d bite my tongue. Yeah, use LGA.   

For an upcoming cruise I cancelled my SWA trip I had booked into EWR and paid a little more on Delta just to fly into EWR.  

You’re forgetting the 40-min trek through a glorified 3rd world country war zone just to get to the ride share pickup area. 

3 hours ago, whitsmom said:

Good to know!  That is the airport I booked our Delta flights for.  We don't cruise until October 8, 2020 though.  Now I need hotel suggestions as we are arriving a day early.

I’m on that cruise, 10/08/20 New England/Canada can’t wait.  Booked all my excursions during the Black Friday sale. The a Facebook group already set up for the sailing.

13 hours ago, Cat mom said:

I’m on that cruise, 10/08/20 New England/Canada can’t wait.  Booked all my excursions during the Black Friday sale. The a Facebook group already set up for the sailing.

I didn't book any excursions yet as we are going with several friends from several different states and we haven't discussed any of the excursions yet.  Are you doing an excursion at each port?