Freedom vs. Liberty

What is everyone's experience with cruising out of Galveston. Thinking about swapping the Freedom August 2021 sailing for Liberty (same week). Itinerary doesn't matter as we have been to all of the ports for both ships. We have not sailed either one before. Both ships are post amp except Liberty is 2 extra days and about $800 cheaper. Flying from DTW but flights are probably going to be about the same to go to either HOU or EWR (using 2020 pricing as a guide). Any thoughts?

We have enjoyed our sailings out of Galveston.  The ships are pretty much the same so not much of a choice to make there.

Given the facts that the LIB is 2 days longer and it’s overall cheaper, it would be a no-brainer for me.  

The time of year could be a factor.  Knowing that with summer storms, Galveston offers far more alternative routes for outmaneuvering storms than NJ would could be a factor.  Of course, it is going to be blazing hot in south Texas in August !

I would choose LIB just for the extra days and price difference.

2 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

2 days longer and cheaper should make it a no-brainer.

Is LB getting amped before August? They'll have to cancel some cruises by the looks of things if that is the case.

I was thinking no brainer as well except I didn’t know if there were any major drawbacks to sailing out of Galveston. I thought liberty was getting amped early 2021 (February or something like that).

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The time of year could be a factor.  Knowing that with summer storms, Galveston offers far more alternative routes for outmaneuvering storms than NJ would could be a factor.  Of course, it is going to be blazing hot in south Texas in August !

I would choose LIB just for the extra days and price difference.

I was more worried that a hurricane would affect sailings out of Galveston more than Cape Liberty in late August. 

Correct me if I'm wrong..your looking for info just on trans from Houston to the port and lodging or are you planning on flying into Galveston? As for the ship, we sailed the Navigator pre-amped and enjoyed her..wished she was doing the 9 night sailings to ABC's, but that's another subject.  

Did you see the lodging link that i posted for Galveston in another thread?

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I was more worried that a hurricane would affect sailings out of Galveston more than Cape Liberty in late August. 

I agree that the chances of storm interference in TX is greater than in NJ but the options for alternative routes from TX are greater than those from NJ.  If a storm is coming up the coast of the eastern US, there is nowhere to go from NJ. At least in TX you can go East, west or south.

Other than the obvious (brutal summer heat), I don’t think there are any show stoppers with Galveston.  The logistics are a BIT more complicated as you have to get from the airport to the port and back but it’s not a big deal.

19 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong..your looking for info just on trans from Houston to the port and lodging or are you planning on flying into Galveston? 

It would be all of it because we would have to fly into HOU and then get to Galveston and also do a pre-cruise stay there.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I may have found one potential downside. It appears that some of the hotels will not allow just a Saturday night stay. It requires at least a two night stay. ?

A lot of hotels on the island require a two night stay especially if it is a holiday weekend or if there is something like a festival going on that week. Harbor House is just east of the cruise terminals (Carnival is between the hotel and Royal's terminal) - not that you would want to walk a 1/2 mile with your luggage, but here's a map. Surely they have a shuttle. I think it would be nice to wake up literally next to the ships, but we haven't stayed on the island yet. We stay between Houston and Galveston in Clear Lake which is where Johnson Space Center is located. The Kemah boardwalk is not far from there either, so we have a variety of things to entertain us pre-cruise. It's about a 40 minute drive to the terminal the morning of the cruise. We drive down from Dallas though, so you'll be looking at Uber or some other transportation twice if you go that route. 

image.thumb.png.403cae954b24645b5527bba8acc1761b.png

The only potential downside the the amount of Texans (no offense Texans).  Texas flag flies in the promenade, limited liquor choices until international waters, and every night you'll hear "the stars at night..."  At the same time, you'll get a huge NE crowd out of NJ so similar regional dynamics.  That being said, we were never bothered by it.  We stayed near the airport the night before not in Galveston.  

On 12/4/2019 at 4:29 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What is everyone's experience with cruising out of Galveston. Thinking about swapping the Freedom August 2021 sailing for Liberty (same week). Itinerary doesn't matter as we have been to all of the ports for both ships. We have not sailed either one before. Both ships are post amp except Liberty is 2 extra days and about $800 cheaper. Flying from DTW but flights are probably going to be about the same to go to either HOU or EWR (using 2020 pricing as a guide). Any thoughts?

Late to your post.  We have been on both ships … basically the same ship.   Galveston is a cool town and there is a lot of things to do between Houston and Galveston.  As you normally fly from Detroit.  I would suggest flying Southwest (HOU).  You will save a lot on airfare vs. IAH.  Hobby Airport is much closer to Galveston.  As Twangster pointed out you can stay at the Airport and take the Shuttle out the day of or there a good options in-between (shopping or space center) or you can proceed and stay at the Island.  You will find you will have a strong Midwestern and Tx crowd.  But just like middle Canada we tend to be more fun and easy going. :27_sunglasses:  So saving on flights + cruise fare + good people makes up for the 1 hour commute from the airport to the port.  Best of luck.

Leaving on Liberty this Sunday. Last cruise on her we had a large number of Canadians who made the trip. There are shuttles from both airports but as stated before Hobby (HOU) is closer, although Sunday's traffic through Houston is quick in the mornings. Last cruise out of Galveston I had to go to IAH for an international flight and we arrived at the airport within 45 minutes of leaving the cruise terminal. I drove and we were passed by the shuttle taking folks back. August does not seem to be loaded with hurricanes and we have only hurried back to port once and that was due to possibility of fog.

Full disclosure, I'm a Texan. Having said that, I've sailed out of Galveston twice, once on the Liberty. We had a great time, the ship is very nice. As the CrznTxn and Clear Laker above note, the airports are not close, so if you can get into town the day (or 2) before, it gives you some wiggle room. Although the Galveston beaches and water are not Caribbean beautiful, there are some things to do and places to eat that you might want to try.

19 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

now we normally stay in Houston and Uber to port in the morning, just 2 of us.  Great experience with Uber in Nov 2019.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

I stay near the airport and do the drive down in the morning.  

18 hours ago, melski94 said:

We stayed near the airport the night before not in Galveston.  

2 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Leaving on Liberty this Sunday. Last cruise on her we had a large number of Canadians who made the trip. There are shuttles from both airports but as stated before Hobby (HOU) is closer, although Sunday's traffic through Houston is quick in the mornings. Last cruise out of Galveston I had to go to IAH for an international flight and we arrived at the airport within 45 minutes of leaving the cruise terminal. I drove and we were passed by the shuttle taking folks back. August does not seem to be loaded with hurricanes and we have only hurried back to port once and that was due to possibility of fog.

I read in another post here that hotels around HOU are not in a "safe" area.  Any truth to that?

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I read in another post here that hotels around HOU are not in a "safe" area.  Any truth to that?

Are Chicago hotels safe?  Are Newark hotels safe?  Are Toronto hotels safe?  More and more gun violence in TO everytime I turn on the new up there.  

If you're staying in a $40 per night room I'm guessing that hotel may not be in a safe part of town.  

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Are Chicago hotels safe?  Are Newark hotels safe?  Are Toronto hotels safe?  More and more gun violence in TO everytime I turn on the new up there.  

If you're staying in a $40 per night room I'm guessing that hotel may not be in a safe part of town.  

Good point...

I am from Houston, born and raised. I live 30 mins. from Hobby (HOU) and about 45 mins. from Galveston. We sailed on Liberty this past summer and loved it so much we are sailing on her again in March for Spring Break. Haven't sailed on Freedom, but I agree with others stating the extra days and savings are worth the hassle of getting from HOU to Galveston. My recommendation would be to stay in the Clear Lake area, specifically Webster either in a hotel on Bay Area Blvd. at or near I-45 or on Nasa Road 1. This would put you near or even walking distance to restaurants and shopping depending on the hotel. If you have kids with you and your flight gets in early enough, Space Center Houston at Johnson Space Center is great! Tons of hands on stuff for the kids and you can actually go into the Enterprise, the mock shuttle used to train our astronauts. There are some "nice" hotels near HOU, but the area is very limited on decent dining options. The area is straight up sketchy, though. From reading your live blogs, @Lovetocruise2002 I think you would be happier in the Clear Lake area rather than staying near the airport. I can recommend restaurants, especially knowing your love for Mexican food. ? 

5 hours ago, kadmgs said:

There are some "nice" hotels near HOU, but the area is very limited on decent dining options. The area is straight up sketchy, though. From reading your live blogs, @Lovetocruise2002 I think you would be happier in the Clear Lake area rather than staying near the airport. I can recommend restaurants, especially knowing your love for Mexican food. ? 

Thanks for all the awesome advice!  Not to worry, I did a quick search of hotels hear HOU and wrote it off already. Did not meet “suite snob” standards ? No kids on this one but I will most definitely take a look at the Clear Lake area. Thanks.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:40 PM, Boston Babe said:

I hope it's Liberty, just booked B2B on her May 2021!  A little birdie suggested the Vista ocean panoramic Suite so that's what I did!! LOL  AND it's refundable for a change! LOL 

I just posted on this topic.  Did you get a refundable deposit for that Panoramic Suite?  I asked for the same, but now I'm being told my deposit is NOT refundable.

3 minutes ago, Winston Wolf said:

I just posted on this topic.  Did you get a refundable deposit for that Panoramic Suite?  I asked for the same, but now I'm being told my deposit is NOT refundable.

Yes.  We book refundable on all our Panoramic Suites.  We are currently holding 3 of them, all refundable.

I live in Houston and have sailed Liberty twice.  It's my favorite ship.

Since you're coming from DFW, why don't you just drive to the port? It sounds a lot simpler than flying.

As far as hotels, have you considered the Boardwalk Hotel in Kemah? It's an interesting location with amusements, restaurants, shopping and a midway with a simple 30 minute drive to Galveston.  Just take S.H. 146 south until you're on the Galveston causeway.