Can you wear shorts into My Time Dining?

JRogers

3 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

A guy was wearing a tank top and shorts in the MDR during My Time Dining... on Formal Night.

3 hours ago, LEW said:

I was on Navigator last week, and probably a quarter of the people were wearing shorts during My Time Dining on Thanksgiving day.

Yup. I saw examples of both on Adventure last week.

I was on Anthem last week and i can say that the dress code is pretty much dead. At least it is not enforced in any way. Personally when we get ready for dinner that means a shower and a change into nicer clothes. Long pants, SHOES!, and a shirt with buttons at the very least. We are frequenters of Chops and even on Thanksgiving Day there were many in shorts, flip flops and t shirts. 

If they are not going to enforce it then I say wear whatever you are comfortable in. It is clearly the trend. There are other cruise lines with much stricter dress codes and if that is your thing then go for it. Its your vacation. Enjoy it. Be comfortable in whatever you feel right in.

12 hours ago, JRogers said:

Hi - are you able to wear shorts into the My Time Dining restaurant?  Thanks.

It's not enforced but they did say in the Cruise Compass that shorts are welcome in the Main Dining Room at breakfast and lunch.  Then they had a description of what the evening dress code was which was either resort casual, formal, or Caribbean depending on the day.  This was on my most recent sailing on Oasis.

My Allure sailing, on the other hand, didn't have any dress code information in the Cruise Compass.

I always thought the general rule is that they allow shorts in the MDR on regular nights but not on formal nights.  I have witnessed them not allowing entry to people in shorts on formal nights.  I suppose that is a loose policy that is getting even looser.  Specialties I have seen plenty of people in shorts.  I don't ever wear shorts to dinner in the MDR or in specialty restaurants when cruising, but obviously plenty of people do.  I know it takes away from the ambiance of the room a little, but it doesn't bother me as long as they are dressier shorts, a button down or collared shirt, etc.  I wish they would steadfastly enforce a rule of no casual shorts, bathing suits, t shirts, flip flops, etc.  The market dictates these things I guess.     

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's not enforced but they did say in the Cruise Compass that shorts are welcome in the Main Dining Room at breakfast and lunch.  Then they had a description of what the evening dress code was which was either resort casual, formal, or Caribbean depending on the day.  This was on my most recent sailing on Oasis.

We were on the same cruise. Yes, in the Cruise Compass they stated Caribbean casual included Bermuda shorts. I usually wear what I  call golf course/country club attire,  nice dress shorts, polo shirts. And my wife makes me wear Sperrys instead of my usual high tops. ?

16 hours ago, JRogers said:

Hi - are you able to wear shorts into the My Time Dining restaurant?  Thanks.

At dinner, long pants are recommended, provided you have them.  When I can't wear long pants,, such as when my luggage is lost, I alert the staff at entry so they know I'm not trying to offend anyone.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

As you can see from the responses here, enforcement of the rules is sparse at best. 

The reality is the rules are left purposefully vague because Royal Caribbean does not want to get into the business of being the fashion police.

On the one hand, there is no posted list that explicitly states shorts are not allowed into the MDR for dinner. On the other hand, it is culturally inappropriate to wear shorts to a sophisticated restaurant.

This becomes more of a question of "should you" versus "can you" wear shorts to the MDR.

Our first cruise on Anthem a 2 years ago I remember we were headed down to dinner and I completely forgot about the "no shorts" rule and as we were standing online I realized I was wearing shorts. I was like Ut oh are they gonna give me a hard time or turn me away and no one said a word to me. No one even looked or cared I don't think. 

I too could not care less what someone wears to dinner. This isn't the Titanic in 1912 when there were classes and 10 course dinners in a tux. It's modern day cruising to an island. 

5 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

I for one could care less what you wear to dinner, any night.  Won't affect my enjoyment in the least.  No where on any RCCL ship is there a 5 star dinning experience.  Wear what you want.

4 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I too could not care less what someone wears to dinner. This isn't the Titanic in 1912 when there were classes and 10 course dinners in a tux. It's modern day cruising to an island. 

As a non_American, the way you guys say this phrase really grinds my gears. RCIfan1912 got it correct.

Sorry CruiseGus, the Grammar Police will let you off with a warning this time ?

3 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

As a non_American, the way you guys say this phrase really grinds my gears. RCIfan1912 got it correct.

Sorry CruiseGus, the Grammar Police will let you off with a warning this time ?

Yeah I actually make it a point to say "could not care less". People say it so far or often I don't think they pay attention. 

I really could not care less what someone wears to dinner on a cruise ship on vacation. To each their own. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, AshleyDillo said:

My Allure sailing, on the other hand, didn't have any dress code information in the Cruise Compass.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:08 AM, RWDW1204 said:

We were on the same cruise. Yes, in the Cruise Compass they stated Caribbean casual included Bermuda shorts. I usually wear what I  call golf course/country club attire,  nice dress shorts, polo shirts. And my wife makes me wear Sperrys instead of my usual high tops. ?

This is great info, thank you both. I just got off the phone re-booking our UDP (price decreased by $70 since we first booked?) and I asked the rep about the dress code in the MDR for our Jan 5 Oasis sailing. He told me "no shorts"...at all...not even for breakfast or lunch...same applied for specialty restaurants. 

Now, let me also say that I worked for RCI on several ships for 10+ years, so I know that what corporate states is not necessarily what the ship will enforce. Heck, many rules differed from ship to ship. It all depended on the Hotel Manager and how relaxed he or she was. 

Again, thank you both for the info?