electric outlets

lhm0204

There are far too few...even in the bigger cabins.

I recommend a surge protector with multiple outlets.  Technically, extension cords are prohibited but they have never said anything to me about my surge protector, which has outlets for both 110 electrical (including 3 prong)  and USB ports.  I have found it to be invaluable.

I recommend a surge protector with multiple outlets.  Technically, extension cords are prohibited but they have never said anything to me about my surge protector, which has outlets for both 110 electrical (including 3 prong)  and USB ports.  I have found it to be invaluable.

I always bring a mini surge protector. It provides 3 spots and has never been an issue getting through security.

Their is a thread on CC right and surge protectors are dangerous to use on a cruise ship's electrical system.

Their is a thread on CC right and surge protectors are dangerous to use on a cruise ship's electrical system.

Many "threads" and posting on the internet saying almost anything you want.... But that does not make them correct or right. Surge protectors are one way, they protect your items you have plugged into them they do not send anything back into the ships system. If a power surge is sent through the system they shield your devices, they do not affect other devices being used in other cabins. 

Many "threads" and posting on the internet saying almost anything you want.... But that does not make them correct or right. Surge protectors are one way, they protect your items you have plugged into them they do not send anything back into the ships system. If a power surge is sent through the system they shield your devices, they do not affect other devices being used in other cabins. 

Have you read this, what the US Coast Guard says about them? http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

I have also read these threads on CC and one of them, in particular, is from one of the few sources on CC that I trust and respect.

I am an engineer but not an electrical engineer so I can't say that I understand the physics...but if what they are saying is true (and, as I said, in one case I tend to believe them) then you want a multi-plug unit with a circuit breaker mechanism as opposed to a surge protector.  Apparently there is something about a surge protector, on a SHIP, that can cause the unit to overheat and even, in rare cases, catch fire.

So...I intend to purchase one of the specific products that this person has recommended.  I haven't yet done my research to try and find them but once I do I will see if I can share that information here.  I have not been too successful with getting links to post to this site...just like I cannot get my "quote" function to work even when trying multiple browsers.  I'm sure it's just me....

Bottom line...if spending $25 (or less, apparently) can reduce the risk of fire on a ship...I'm all about it.  If not, I have another multi-plug device.  Big deal.

I have also read these threads on CC and one of them, in particular, is from one of the few sources on CC that I trust and respect.

I am an engineer but not an electrical engineer so I can't say that I understand the physics...but if what they are saying is true (and, as I said, in one case I tend to believe them) then you want a multi-plug unit with a circuit breaker mechanism as opposed to a surge protector.  Apparently there is something about a surge protector, on a SHIP, that can cause the unit to overheat and even, in rare cases, catch fire.

So...I intend to purchase one of the specific products that this person has recommended.  I haven't yet done my research to try and find them but once I do I will see if I can share that information here.  I have not been too successful with getting links to post to this site...just like I cannot get my "quote" function to work even when trying multiple browsers.  I'm sure it's just me....

Bottom line...if spending $25 (or less, apparently) can reduce the risk of fire on a ship...I'm all about it.  If not, I have another multi-plug device.  Big deal.

This is one of the ones that chengkp75 said was OK. http://www.amazon.com/Uber-25113-Station-Outlets-Grounded/dp/B00SD9J376?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Posted by chengkp75 on CC and quoted with his permission:

"Well, there is the USCG Safety Notice, and the NFPA UL 1449. The USCG Safety Notice is written about two fires on cargo ships, but you'll just have to take my word for it that there is no difference between the wiring of a cruise ship or a cargo ship. The grounding systems are the same, because they both face the same problem when you introduce stray electrical current into the steel hull in sea water: electrolysis. NFPA UL 1449, if you buy a copy of it, lists the additional protective devices required in a surge protector when used in impedence grounded systems, which while not called out specifically as marine, that is what they are. The post by cavediving that is referenced in post #7 has descriptions of the problems caused when using surge protectors onboard ships by a professor of marine engineering at Texas A&M. Not sure what more I can give, and I don't know that there has been a documented case of this kind of fire on a cruise ship, but the lines' insurance companies are interested enough to require the recent changes in policy.

I feel strongly enough about this, that I have researched a lot of products, not only on consumer websites, but the manufacturer's websites, and have even gone to e-mailing the manufacturer if I cannot get definitive answers. Two products I have found that are not surge protected are:

The above referenced uber product, I am not sure of any other uber product, but this specific one is fine.

Zilu 5 USB port hub. This, and this one only, from Zilu is not surge protected.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V33RCTU

Just about any power strip (outlets only) from Home Depot, Walmart, etc., in the $3-5 range (including one from Belkin) are fine.

This Monster brand power strip is okay:
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG...ds=power+strip

Powercube-usa has a product that is multi-outlet and multi-USB, without a surge protector, but it doesn't get very good ratings for sturdiness.

I checked the manufacturer's site on this:
http://amzn.com/B003TXRTNG, it is okay.

I make no recommendation as to any of the above products performance (sturdiness, usability, convenience, etc.), as I have never actually used any of them (except the Home Depot $3 power strip).

I've answered on several threads over the last couple months about this, and if you search those threads (via my posts), you'll see many products that I've researched that are in fact surge protected when not obviously advertised as such."

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I am going on a cruise for my birthday Nov 2018 and I am gonna be on independence of the seas. I read on the do no bring list Electrical Extension Cords but when I emailed the ADA dept they told me they would give me one for charging my power chair. Here is the odd thing, why cant I bring one when they will give me one to use? That is a catch 22! What if the charger is a 3 Prong one? I think mine is a 2 because its a newer type. How am I gonna charge all my goodies? Thanks

If you have a 2-pronged extension cord then you will be ok with it b/c if it does not have the third prong it does not have a surge protector.
The ones they give you on the ship are, apparently (have never gotten one, so don't know for sure), not surge protected and therefore, safe.

24 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

I am always curious when I see these threads, what are you all bringing that require so many sockets required at the same time?

Chargers for various devices and my wife's straightener.  On older ships, there is like 1 or 2 outlets in the entire room.

A few years ago we decided to try an electric clock in our cabin.  Seems it kept losing time.  As much as 30 minutes sometimes.  We ask the IT director why.  He told use that the ships electrical power did not have a constant frequency of 60 hz.  Not sure if that is still the case or not.  We purchased two battery clocks for our bedside instead.  

Rather than a power strip, we purchased a three pronged outlet plug.  That gives us enough plugs.

2 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

I am taking a USB charger that has 6 slots in it for charge all of our stuff. I may no need all six at once, but if I do then I can...

USB charger is the way to go for phones and such.  Low voltage and low current.   

10 minutes ago, craig403 said:

A few years ago we decided to try an electric clock in our cabin.  Seems it kept losing time.  As much as 30 minutes sometimes.  We ask the IT director why.  He told use that the ships electrical power did not have a constant frequency of 60 hz.  Not sure if that is still the case or not.  We purchased two battery clocks for our bedside instead.  

Rather than a power strip, we purchased a three pronged outlet plug.  That gives us enough plugs.

We also bring an electric clock for the cabin.  Our clock is always gaining time. Not a lot but we adjust it each night and it is still useful.  Thanks for the information on the non consistency of the 60 hz.  We were thinking it was a bad clock.

Our phones get turned off and soon as we get on the ship.  They go in the safe and do not come out until it is time to leave.  Then they explode with email.

We bring a cheap 2 prong extension cord and our small fan.  Only need one extra outlet for the camera charger.

I bring a 3 or 6 (camt remember which offhand)  adapter that plugs right in and had 2 usb outlets.  That lets us charge the cameras,  ipods, and phones (that i only use for apps and camera and alarm) .  I use a tiny battery click to have just for quick reference.   Jane

So what is the Bad Thing about having a surge protector? I mean, if ship's power can't guarantee a steady 60Hz / 120V, wouldn't you want a surge protector to keep your laptop, phone, or other electrically sensitive devices safe while plugged in?

Will the surge protector cause a "back-flow" in the outlet's wiring, potentially creating a fire risk due to increase resistance / heat in the wiring? Risk of blowing out other outlets on the same general circuit for the room block?

Sorry, this is the science geek in me wanting to understand this rule that clearly must have not just a safety reason, but also engineering and/or physics reasons behind it.

23 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

So what is the Bad Thing about having a surge protector? I mean, if ship's power can't guarantee a steady 60Hz / 120V, wouldn't you want a surge protector to keep your laptop, phone, or other electrically sensitive devices safe while plugged in?

Will the surge protector cause a "back-flow" in the outlet's wiring, potentially creating a fire risk due to increase resistance / heat in the wiring? Risk of blowing out other outlets on the same general circuit for the room block?

Sorry, this is the science geek in me wanting to understand this rule that clearly must have not just a safety reason, but also engineering and/or physics reasons behind it.

As far as I recall when reading this a while back the crux of the issue is the lack of a true earth ground on a ship.  I used to do electrical work but it's been a while since I read up on this topic so you'll forgive any errors in my summary, but in short, yes, surge supression is a good thing as is ground-fault protection.  The issue is that *some* breakers only stop flow between neutral and hot, allowing a ground-fault to exist (this could happen the other way around as well).  A breaker safe on a ship would cut off all three conductors, hot, neautral, and ground. I put up a post about this a while ago which includes a CG bulletin on the matter (which, as I tried to explain above, I realized I should re-read).

http://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

On 7/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, KLAconQueso said:

This is the one I bring.

I have something similar, but went with one that had a cord to offer a bit more flexibility as the outlet spacing can be tight.

I used this one on my last cruise: http://amzn.to/2tboHNy I like it because it is dual voltage, so I can use it with an adapter in Europe. Unfortunately, I didn't plan well and only brought two prong adapters a couple of weeks ago, so I relied on this instead: http://amzn.to/2veG4OM

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2017 at 8:11 AM, toodle68 said:

I am always curious when I see these threads, what are you all bringing that require so many sockets required at the same time?

I am not concerned about charging things, but I have and LVAD (heart pump) that requires I plug into a power outlet at night.  I wear a pair of batteries during the day so I must also have an outlet for the battery charger.  I also use a bilevel C-PAP at night, requiring a third outlet.  The C-PAP and battery charger may be on an extension cord (without an on/off switch), but the power unit for nighttime use must be in its own outlet without being on a switch (if someone accidentally turns off the switch, the pump stops and I die!)