Tulum Tour NOT with RCCL?

xchellz

I would strongly recommend NOT doing any Mayan ruins tour on the mainland through a 3rd party.  Not because it wouldn’t be a good tour, but because it is such a great distance away.  If you are delayed for any reason and do not make it back and miss the ship, it’s a very big deal.  I’m sure there will be those who have had excellent 3rd party excursions to the mainland Mayan ruins, but the risk, to me, is just too great.

There are plenty of times that I have used 3rd parties for excursions but this is one situation where I would never do it.

I second the recommendation of @WAAAYTOOO.  We took an excursion to Tulum years ago during a cruise on Celebrity and thankfully we did book through the cruise line because we arrived back to the ship so late that they brought in the walkways directly behind our group's arrival and set sail from the port (at about 8:30PM)

22 hours ago, xchellz said:

Has anyone been to this site but not through a RCCL excursion? We are in Cozumel from 8am-7pm and want to find the best way to do Tulum! 

Concur with @WAAAYTOOO , and there was the recent sad story about Carnival passengers in Belize who had a terrible bus crash with a 3rd party vendor.  No one is immune from an accident, but supposedly Royal vets their contractors.

If you get to Costa Maya, don't overlook the Chacchoben excursion that Royal offers -- no ferry ride needed!