If anyone is hesitant to let RC pick your room by booking a “Guaranteed” room (GTY) read this! We saved over $1000 (3 people) by booking a guaranteed ocean-view balcony room. Then when RC was assigning rooms last week all the standard ocean-view balcony rooms were booked.....so they UPGRADED US TO A 1-BEDROOM GRAND SUITE AT NO CHARGE!! I had actually made a minimum Royal Up bid for this room ($1,500) which was cancelled when they gave me the upgrade. We will be in a Room 9660 sailing on January 4th, 2020.

21 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Well 16 days out and still no room # for us on Indy. It has shown now for over 1 week that they have been sold out. 

8 hours ago, LJM9504 said:

Just out of curiosity, how often do people get upgraded with a GTY room?

I think it's more likely when the ship is sold-out or close to it. Often times you don't know your GTY room # until the day before. I wonder why they didn't wait on mine to see if there were cancellations for a lower-level cabin.

Also, keep in mind RC is trying to maximize their profits. So once the ship is near capacity they still want to get some extra $$ via Royal Up to free up lower cost rooms for last minute buyers. The only way I've heard of people knowing their room # well ahead of sailing date is if they purchase or upgrade to specific rooms (such as $$ suites).

Another data point: I signed up for 12/21 cruise on Adventure, way back in June. The GTY room was finally assigned end of November (so roughly 3 weeks out). We booked GTY balcony, but assigned spacious balcony. So it's a minor upgrade, not quite a suite, but we did get a little bit above the "minimum guaranteed". 

What the other commenters said above was true. RC is doing a lot of data analysis and demand / revenue management. Because if you upgrade someone from balcony to suite, that person's balcony room is now available, but RC might make more money by taking a royal up bid from OV to balcony, and then from inside to OV, and so on. That might be more profitable than just upgrading someone from OV straight to suite for example. So again, only RC knows because they have all the data of "who have bid what" so far, and they also have historical data on "how often does this room category get last minute bookings"

I figured with the GTY room we'd end up with a terrible location and obstructed view. I didn't care. We aren't in there much anyway. We got a great room, mid ship. We were very happy. I won't hesitate to GTY again if we are sailing by ourselves. When with our kids, we'll pick the connecting rooms. 

• 5 weeks later...

Were 258 days out and all the Balcony & Suite rooms are showing sold out for the last month, I'm sure they have us tentatively slotted agains a room...the waiting continues to see when they assign us a room.  This is for GYT Balcony for our Brilliance sailing in Sept. I sure hope we get the same luck as @kelliejkunz with an upgrade. ? However i'll not hold my breath waiting. ?

The only time I remember getting an upgrade was from a inside room to a Virtual balcony.....ha...but that was a neat feature. The other time I did a GTY, I got the same  class room.

I have an oceanview GTY booked for Odyssey for Nov....there aren't many oceaview rooms so I am hoping for an upgrade....but even if I don't I am happy with the savings I get out of it...