Photo package: What kind of pictures?

Winthrope

I just purchased the all digital photo package and now I'm wondering, what kind of pictures do the photographers take? Is it only pictures of you posing in front of a printed pre-set background (like what you'd expect from your kid's school picture day?), or do they actually go around the ship and take candid shots of you doing whatever? 

2 hours ago, Winthrope said:

I just purchased the all digital photo package and now I'm wondering, what kind of pictures do the photographers take? Is it only pictures of you posing in front of a printed pre-set background (like what you'd expect from your kid's school picture day?), or do they actually go around the ship and take candid shots of you doing whatever? 

I haven't seen any candid / photo-journalistic type photos. Mostly it posing for photos in front of a background, but there is usually a roaming photographer in the dinning room at dinner and at sail away on the upper decks. One of the best photos of our family on our last cruise was at sail away on the top deck.

15 hours ago, Winthrope said:

I purchased the digital photo package on my last cruise, only candid shots were in the dining room, everywhere else was backgrounds or with a character. It does say that if a photo is taken with anyone that is not in your stateroom that it is not included but I managed to have them added on to my portfolio,  when I was looking thru all the random photos and came across our group shots I just clicked add to my photos and it worked. ?‍♀️

71586064_2354006934648796_2363887529419079680_n.jpg

We were on Harmony this last May, and I purchased the digital photo package for my family.  My wife and I were in one cabin, and my three kids were split in two other cabins (along with other family, nieces, etc.).  Soon after we boarded, I went the photo shop and had my kids' room numbers linked to mine for the photo package, as they were minors.  Whenever we had ANY photos taken, we instructed everyone to give them MY cabin number.  For us, as long as any ONE of us was (parents OR my kids), the picture was included in my portfolio.   We did several pictures that were either of my immediate family only, or groups with the extended family traveling with us (there were 11 of us total).  I reviewed all of the pictures in my portfolio about every other day to make sure what I was expecting to be there actually was.  In reality, due to their "facial recognition" software, we ended up with frequently seeing others that were NOT part of our family in any way being included in my photo portfolio.  Out of the 180+ pictures we started out with, I probably removed about 25-30 that wasn't our family.  Removing them was VERY easy at photo viewing kiosk in the photo shop area, and only took a few seconds each.

There also a few key pictures that I was expecting to see that weren't there (embarkation photos, for one!).  I again went to the photo desk, and told them about the missing photos.  They asked for the approximate boarding time we had the photos taken.  Sure enough, the next day, all of our embarkation photos were in my portfolio!

The photos we had were primarily those with the various backgrounds.  On our Harmony cruise, the photographers were setup with their backgrounds nearly every night, at least somewhere on the promenade deck and/or around the entrances to the dining room in the evenings.  On prior cruises, I recall them only being there on the formal nights, but this time, there were far more opportunities.

Additional photos we had include the candid shots during dinner, embarkation group photos, and at the dockside next to the ship when at the ports.

One notable addition was that we also saw several photographers on CocoCay (both in the waterpark area AND around the large pool).  They would take pictures as we came off of the various waterslides and zipline, along with a few candid shots in the large pool outside of the waterpark.  All of these photos were included in our portfolio.  They asked for our cabin number just like on board the ship.  Again, we instructed everyone in our group to just give them MY cabin number.  We had ZERO issues or push back doing this.  I never intentionally "cheated" the system, but we did end up with a handful of pictures of my extended family that didn't have any of my immediate family in the picture that was included in my portfolio.  It is obvious that they don't go into each portfolio and manually police this, especially with so many unrelated "other" family photos thrown into my portfolio that I had to remove myself.

Photogs are always there at the gangway when entering a new port, roaming during dineing, set up at formal nights. You also spot them roaming pool decks and atrium areas. I would guess that any time you see one they would be glad to accommodate you within reason.