Drink Package Query

StuKat4040

Hi there, can someone advise me ? We are booked in June 2020 Rhapsody of the Seas in Eastern Med. We have now the Deluxe Drinks package and it states anything up to $12 inclusive.  However I have seen copies of the 2019 drinks menu and most of the Cocktails are $13. Is this right that I need pay the $1 extra on every Cocktail as it seems strange they are all above my limit ? Thanks Stuart

A lot of the drink menus you see are from Oasis class ships where the standard price is $13 and the package already covers up to $13.  I'm confident if the standard price for drinks on your sailing is $13, then the package will cover them.  After all, the bartenders don't have time to deal with tons of $1 checks.  They'll just see you have the package and make your drink.  I would not expect to receive any documentation from Royal that they are changing the terms of your package.  I think it will just happen.

My question concerns bartender tipping, and beverage packages. I pre-paid the cruise 18% gratuities, which specifically, includes bar staff, among all other personnel. Now, if I select a Dlx. Bev. Pkg, and add it to my Cart, it states there will be an 18% gratuity added upon purchase. Adventure of the Seas, if that makes a difference.

Does that not mean I am actually tipping bar staff 36%? If so, there is NO incentive for me to offer any cash tips for exemplary bar service. What am I missing?

22 minutes ago, Wolfdog said:

My question concerns bartender tipping, and beverage packages. I pre-paid the cruise 18% gratuities, which specifically, includes bar staff, among all other personnel. Now, if I select a Dlx. Bev. Pkg, and add it to my Cart, it states there will be an 18% gratuity added upon purchase. Adventure of the Seas, if that makes a difference.

Does that not mean I am actually tipping bar staff 36%? If so, there is NO incentive for me to offer any cash tips for exemplary bar service. What am I missing?

The automatic daily service charge of $14.50 per person covers positions like the cabin attendant and wait staff in dining venues.  It does not include bar staff.  Some people don't drink so to force them to tip bar staff wouldn't be fair.  

If you purchase your drinks onboard one drink at a time each drink will have 18% added.  If you purchase a beverage package it will have 18% added during checkout.  Once onboard you don't have to tip bar staff anything beyond that however a cash tip beyond that will always be warmly welcomed. 

22 minutes ago, Wolfdog said:

The pre-paid gratuity goes to the housekeeping and restaurant staff. The bar is separate, and you would pay an 18% gratuity on any drink order. The drink package adds in on ahead of time, so you've already paid it, and it's not necessary to tip additional on top of that (but it's a nice gesture if you do)

29 minutes ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

The pre-paid gratuity goes to the housekeeping and restaurant staff. The bar is separate, and you would pay an 18% gratuity on any drink order. The drink package adds in on ahead of time, so you've already paid it, and it's not necessary to tip additional on top of that (but it's a nice gesture if you do)

But then there's this, from official rccl website Q&A: "As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience."

First, the prepaid gratuities are not 18% of the cruise fare.  They are a flat $14.5 per person per day (slightly higher in suites) and they do not cover drinks.  When you buy drinks (individually or with a drink package), there will be an 18% gratuity added to those charge.  You are not obligated to pay more (whether with cash or charged) but some people do and report getting better service or stronger drinks as a result.

1 hour ago, Wolfdog said:

But then there's this, from official rccl website Q&A: "As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience."

You're just going to have to trust us on this.  Royal's IT department is notorious for misinformation.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

First, the prepaid gratuities are not 18% of the cruise fare.  They are a flat $14.5 per person per day (slightly higher in suites) and they do not cover drinks.  When you buy drinks (individually or with a drink package), there will be an 18% gratuity added to those charge.  You are not obligated to pay more (whether with cash or charged) but some people do and report getting better service or stronger drinks as a result.

You're just going to have to trust us on this.  Royal's IT department is notorious for misinformation.

Apologize if it seemed like I was tying the 18% prepaid to the cruise fare. I realize it was $14.50, per passenger, per day, and that's what I paid.

I'll take your word on the mis-information, and maybe assume by 'bar staff', they mean the folks who stock, clean the floors, fetch ice, etc. IOW, all but the bartenders. Here's my total response from them, on the matter:

"Please note that beverage gratuities are separate; however, they are included when you purchase a Deluxe Beverage Package. You will use the SeaPass card you will receive at boarding to make any onboard purchases. If you have purchased a beverage package, it will be indicated on your SeaPass card, so additional beverage gratuities will not be charged. However, if you decide not to purchase beverage packages, your individual beverage purchases will be charged 18% beverage gratuities."

Well, Yes, they are included when I purchase the package, because I pay it up front, with the pkg. purchase.

All in all, it's not a big concern, because I'm going to purchase the pkgs, and I'm going to get more back in drinks than what it costs. 

Thanks for the responses.