What to do in Okinawa (Nakagusuku), Japan

guill06

Hi,

I'm doing an Asian cruise on the Quantum of the seas witch stop on the 9 may 2020 in Nakagusuku. The rcl website doesn't show any shore excursion for that port. Does anyone know what we can do from there ? I'm not finding any excursion online that start from that port.

Wow, never knew cruises stopped in Okinawa! We lived there for a few years and it's an amazing place. I'm not sure whats near the port,but I'd recommend renting a car and exploring. Find a random beach and enjoy the day, or head up to the smaller islands. I believe you'll also be close to the Botanical gardens which is a fun stop. I'd avoid going down to Naha, you'll waste a lot of time in traffic and one the main sites  (Shuri Castle) unfortunately just suffered a major fire.

Just keep checking the planner -- there are usually a number of excursions offered for Okinawa, but they've all been pulled in order to sort out the fire damage reconstruction schedule. 

Otherwise, I'd recommend Gyokusendo Cave and surrounding area as a spot I found surprisingly interesting.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My husband was stationed at Futenma Air Station. We lived  at Camp Kinser and I worked at the Naval Hospital at  Camp Lester

It was a fun 3 years but I was ready to come back to the land of tall people 

I was there from 95-98, I believe my wife’s cousin was the hospital administrator @ Lester about the time you were leaving.

13 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My husband was stationed at Futenma Air Station. We lived  at Camp Kinser and I worked at the Naval Hospital at  Camp Lester

It was a fun 3 years but I was ready to come back to the land of tall people 

12 hours ago, mworkman said:

I was there from 95-98, I believe my wife’s cousin was the hospital administrator @ Lester about the time you were leaving.

I was just a little Lance Corporal with VMAQ-2.  Originally went to Westpac on a 6-month UDP.  Ended up deployed for 19 months due to Desert Storm.

We always were put up at Kadena AFB and loved it.  The Air Force chow hall was to die for.  ?

40 minutes ago, teddy said:

I was just a little Lance Corporal with VMAQ-2.  Originally went to Westpac on a 6-month UDP.  Ended up deployed for 19 months due to Desert Storm.

We always were put up at Kadena AFB and loved it.  The Air Force chow hall was to die for.  ?

Yes, Kadena is a nice base.  Waaay better than anything the Marine Corps has over there. We used to take MAC hops out of Kadena over to South Korea to shop.  There was also a once-a-week Navy flight to Hong Kong that was a favorite  I’m sure those are long gone.

In a rather weird twist of fate, I ended up going back to Oki many years later for business.  I ended up having sites at Ft Buckner and Torii Station and made many trips back over there, the past 16 years.

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, Kadena is a nice base.  Waaay better than anything the Marine Corps has over there. We used to take MAC hops out of Kadena over to South Korea to shop.  There was also a once-a-week Navy flight to Hong Kong that was a favorite  I’m sure those are long gone.

In a rather weird twist of fate, I ended up going back to Oki many years later for business.  I ended up having sites at Ft Buckner and Torii Station and made many trips back over there, the past 16 years.

Torri Beach was a hidden gem! We used to have luau on the beach, when we were on island and not deployed.

96524E8A-93B5-47A7-887D-91BDC18B2C0C.png