Attention Twangster-influenced camera shoppers!

JLMoran

Cyber Monday is tomorrow and there are some very nice camera deals to be had. I’ve spent this weekend finding a camera for my daughter as her whole-family Christmas gift, and all the major retailers who aren’t named Amazon are having some nice sales.

I’ve been seeing some nice discounts on new-model cameras bundled with kit lense(s), case, and/or memory card all weekend. If seeing all of @twangster‘s photos has left you wanting some new camera kit for yourself, be sure to check out these sales if you haven’t already!

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Camera envy is real. I was drooling over someone's Sony mirrorless camera, but had to walk myself back off the edge and remind myself my current camera is still very good.

Sure your not getting any savings off the camera itself,  but clearly you didn't look at the saving you were getting off on the camera bag!  Hey....look! You're even getting a grip kit!  If your lucky, it just might be the Kung Foo grip kit.  Who knows! ?‍♂️

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.20.54 AM.png

53 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.20.54 AM.png

You're looking way outside of my / my daughter's league. This two lens kit T7i package is the one I got for her and would consider upgrading to for myself. The price yesterday morning was $699, a full $100 less than the current pricing; that put it only $50 more than the kit that included onlyt the 18-55mm lens, without the carry bag or memory card.

That was a genuine bargain in my book, basically getting that second Canon lens for free after estimated retail cost of 32GB card and bag, but I was very lucky to have caught it -- I saw it at 7:30 AM Sunday morning, ordered it at 8 AM after checking the pricing on the other online retailers, and by 5 PM the price went back up to what you see today. But B&H and Adorama didn't offer that bundle for that good a price, so Best Buy won out this time.

Can't wait to see Kara's face when she unwraps it. The extended family was able to contribute enough that I could get her this one, and I'm really happy about it. It's literally going to be her only gift under the tree, and that's from the entire family, but it's also all that she wanted this year. Her photography class is all Canon-based, so she'll be set for the rest of high school and most likely all of college where she plans on being a photography major, with a minor or maybe double major in digital illustration.

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

@JLMoran Here's a bundle package, how does it compare to what you're looking at...price wise vs all the accessories?

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm-55-250mm-SanDisk-Accessory/dp/B06XS48ZLH

I will say that this is a sick bundle! It may be a DSLR instead of mirrorless, but the camera body has the moveable display and is a touchscreen...what a great step up from my point and shoot world...

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

@JLMoran Here's a bundle package, how does it compare to what you're looking at...price wise vs all the accessories?

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm-55-250mm-SanDisk-Accessory/dp/B06XS48ZLH

4 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I will say that this is a sick bundle! It may be a DSLR instead of mirrorless, but the camera body has the moveable display and is a touchscreen...what a great step up from my point and shoot world...

Definitely a really nice bundle. I tend to be a little leery of "super bundles" like that, partly because they're often fulfilled by a third party like this one is and Amazon has been getting a really bad rep lately with third-party fulfillment services. But 33 Street Photo is a name that sounds familiar and is probably more legit than a lot of the other vendors making these kinds of Amazon offers.

If I hadn't needed to budget some money for a 3-year accidental damage policy (I chose the Geek Squad option over Square Trade since they were about the same cost and I have a Best Buy 15 minutes from my house), I might have gone for something like that to really cover all the bases. My daughter takes good care of the stuff she knows is expensive, but she'll freely admit that she's a bit of a klutz. ? If it ticks all the right boxes for you, I'd say grab it!

@DunkelBierJay, if you want to step up from a basic point and shoot but not yet go full mirrorless or DSLR, check out the Sony DSC-RX100. Great little camera that has a fantastic sensor, full manual controls if you want to use them and lots of auto-scene modes if you don't, and a pretty good zoom range depending on the version you get (currently at 6 IIRC). I used a first-gen model for my Bermuda pics this year and love it!

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@DunkelBierJay, if you want to step up from a basic point and shoot but not yet go full mirrorless or DSLR, check out the Sony DSC-RX100. Great little camera that has a fantastic sensor, full manual controls if you want to use them and lots of auto-scene modes if you don't, and a pretty good zoom range depending on the version you get (currently at 6 IIRC). I used a first-gen model for my Bermuda pics this year and love it!

I've had my eye on that camera for a while...same for the Canon M50 which is cheaper...I have a Canon sx530hs which is basically a point and shoot with manual, aperture priority and shutter priority, and I have been getting the knack of it. It's frustrating having limited ISO and F-stop settings with a limit to 15 seconds on long exposure...I really like nailing low light and long exposure images and am very limited right now.

Since mirrorless is where things will be in the future, I don't really want a DSLR...I want an entry mirrorless and upgrade from there, and maybe get an attachment for lenses.

Aren't these expensive hobbies wonderful?

19 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Nice camera...it looks to have similar functionality to my sx530hs, which has awesome zoom for what it is. It has 50x zoom up to 100x optical zoom and gets great detail with moon pics. I am certain that I want to go to a camera that features interchangeable lens capability. The hard part is convincing my wife that the money is well spent. I've been going nuts with Snapseed and Lightroom lately while I complain about my current limitations. It may be working...she was looking at DSLRs on her iPad last night. The trick is to get her to buy it even though I am really the one paying for it. Less pain that way.

On 12/2/2019 at 10:43 AM, JLMoran said:

You're looking way outside of my / my daughter's league. This two lens kit T7i package is the one I got for her and would consider upgrading to for myself. The price yesterday morning was $699, a full $100 less than the current pricing; that put it only $50 more than the kit that included onlyt the 18-55mm lens, without the carry bag or memory card.

That was a genuine bargain in my book, basically getting that second Canon lens for free after estimated retail cost of 32GB card and bag, but I was very lucky to have caught it -- I saw it at 7:30 AM Sunday morning, ordered it at 8 AM after checking the pricing on the other online retailers, and by 5 PM the price went back up to what you see today. But B&H and Adorama didn't offer that bundle for that good a price, so Best Buy won out this time.

Can't wait to see Kara's face when she unwraps it. The extended family was able to contribute enough that I could get her this one, and I'm really happy about it. It's literally going to be her only gift under the tree, and that's from the entire family, but it's also all that she wanted this year. Her photography class is all Canon-based, so she'll be set for the rest of high school and most likely all of college where she plans on being a photography major, with a minor or maybe double major in digital illustration.

She will love it! My first DSLR was the Rebel XSi with kit lens. At that time all the Canon forums were saying a great second lens is the 55-250. I ended up buying the 70-300 used from B&H and STILL have it to this day! She's taken some amazing photos in some challenging situations.

I've since upgraded recently to the 70D, got a great deal on eBay (I put in a low number assuming I'd lose) for it used/refurbished. It came from a camera shop (not a popular one) who replaced the mirror and shutter. Only downside, when they said body only they meant it. No rubber eye piece, no battery, nada. I bought two cheap no name batteries that lasted a good while; one is actually still holding an acceptable charge. I did break down recently and buy an OEM battery.

Sadly, I only use it on vacations; recently bought the Sigma 18-35 1.8 as a walk around lens and STILL don't use it much. Although, it's a great lens for walking around the ship.