Hotel and Parking- Cape Liberty

6 hours ago, DebiGale said:

We will be sailing out of Cape Liberty on Sunday and will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island. Cruise package includes parking and shuttle to and from port. Our cruise is 12 nights and the package is substantially less than parking at the port.

So if I understand correctly, this hotel offers a cruise package whereby we could stay there the night before our cruise, get a shuttle to and from the cruise port and leave our vehicles there while we are on the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 8:22 PM, bytheslice said:

Springhill Suites in Newark is another hotel with a sleep/cruise/shuttle package. The parking is gated. More convenient than driving to Staten Island and avoids the bridge toll.

I will check out Springhill Suites for our October cruise.  We are flying in though.  Do they have an airport shuttle too?

20 hours ago, bytheslice said:

A quick Google search revels there is an airport shuttle. Use Airtrain(monorail) to station P4 to meet/board the shuttle. No restaurant at the hotel, besides delivery or Uber, the only choice would be to walk to the Courtyard for their restaurant. The Doubletree at Newark Penn Station also has a shuttle with more options for eating. 

Oh Wow!  Thanks for the information.  I will look more closely at this now.  We land at 7:30 pm so we will be ready for dinner when we finally get to our hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

Any other recommendations for hotel & parking for Cape Liberty?  We are driving down from Massachusetts.  We lived in NY for a long time butt on Long Island and Westchester so don't know the Newark area quite as well.  I guess we would prefer a hotel that has at least breakfast, and a parking /shuttle solution would be ideal.  I'll keep searching through older posts too, but thought it might be worth bumping this thread back up the message board ? 

On 12/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, FoxboroCruiser said:

Any other recommendations for hotel & parking for Cape Liberty?  We are driving down from Massachusetts.  We lived in NY for a long time butt on Long Island and Westchester so don't know the Newark area quite as well.  I guess we would prefer a hotel that has at least breakfast, and a parking /shuttle solution would be ideal.  I'll keep searching through older posts too, but thought it might be worth bumping this thread back up the message board ? 

If you are driving down from Foxboro you are really looking at a 3.5 hour drive straight through. We drive from just north of boston, have done this trip many many times on the day the ship leaves, parked at the super convenient garage directly next to the port and have never had any problems. We, of course, watch the weather and such up to the point of departure and if there looks to be a storm then we could easily drive down the day/night before and stay in a hotel if needed. Obviously I am not sure what your reasons for wanting to travel the day before are, many here will tell you they never travel same day, but it is such a short drive you can really save on the money you will spend on the hotel with the 100% convenience of driving yourself, parking at the port and not worrying about a Lyft/Uber or shuttle where you have to schlep luggage around. Leaving the ship is even easier because you are not waiting for a ride and if you walk off the ship you can be home in Foxboro by 10:30 AM.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, FoxboroCruiser said:

Any other recommendations for hotel & parking for Cape Liberty?

Look into https://www.trinityreservations.com/ for park & cruise packages with free shuttles to/from the port.  

We can get to Cape Liberty in about 3 hours but have been stuck in traffic on 95 (as well as alternate roads) at all hours of the day and night and don't want to deal with that on the way to a cruise.  I would rather chill at a hotel closer to the port the night before and take a shuttle at a price close to the cost of parking at the port.

If you see the Ramada in Newark offered, it ticks all the boxes we look for.  Nice property, secure parking, free shuttle, restaurant on site offers good food at reasonable prices.  There are other properties in the area that would work as well. 

On 12/29/2019 at 2:03 PM, ptod said:

Look into https://www.trinityreservations.com/ for park & cruise packages with free shuttles to/from the port.  

We can get to Cape Liberty in about 3 hours but have been stuck in traffic on 95 (as well as alternate roads) at all hours of the day and night and don't want to deal with that on the way to a cruise.  I would rather chill at a hotel closer to the port the night before and take a shuttle at a price close to the cost of parking at the port.

If you see the Ramada in Newark offered, it ticks all the boxes we look for.  Nice property, secure parking, free shuttle, restaurant on site offers good food at reasonable prices.  There are other properties in the area that would work as well. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply! This is really helpful info, much appreciated 

On 12/29/2019 at 8:04 AM, whenismynextcruise said:

If you are driving down from Foxboro you are really looking at a 3.5 hour drive straight through. We drive from just north of boston, have done this trip many many times on the day the ship leaves, parked at the super convenient garage directly next to the port and have never had any problems. We, of course, watch the weather and such up to the point of departure and if there looks to be a storm then we could easily drive down the day/night before and stay in a hotel if needed. Obviously I am not sure what your reasons for wanting to travel the day before are, many here will tell you they never travel same day, but it is such a short drive you can really save on the money you will spend on the hotel with the 100% convenience of driving yourself, parking at the port and not worrying about a Lyft/Uber or shuttle where you have to schlep luggage around. Leaving the ship is even easier because you are not waiting for a ride and if you walk off the ship you can be home in Foxboro by 10:30 AM.

We travel to NY a lot, wife’s family is on Long Island. At least 2-3 times a year.   We lived there for 5 years before Westchester for 3 and finally home to MA 15 years ago.  The drive is hit or miss.  Christmas Day we made it in just over three on the way down, but it took over 4 on the way back. 

I guess we thought the whole vacation might seem less stressful and a little longer if we got to NJ the day before, but we’ll have to consider the savings of not spending the night as well.  We’d need two rooms...

thanks so much for the reply!

On 12/31/2019 at 9:17 PM, FoxboroCruiser said:

I guess we thought the whole vacation might seem less stressful and a little longer if we got to NJ the day before, but we’ll have to consider the savings of not spending the night as well.  We’d need two rooms...

We live in Worcester, MA and we drive down the day before for the same reason we fly down to Florida the day before - to avoid the stress of something coming up that is completely out of our control - traffic, weather, construction, etc etc etc.   We also like to get on the ship right at 10:30 am, which would mean waking everyone up by 4:00 am for the drive (again to factor in several additional hours just to be safe).  Yes, it's an added cost, but one that helps me feel a whole lot more relaxed at the start of my vacation. 

We travel to NY a lot, wife’s family is on Long Island. At least 2-3 times a year.   We lived there for 5 years before Westchester for 3 and finally home to MA 15 years ago.  The drive is hit or miss.  Christmas Day we made it in just over three on the way down, but it took over 4 on the way back. 

We live in between Providence and Worcester.  We stayed in NJ once for a Cape Liberty cruise but only because we had a big group.  It worked out OK, but I really like parking on the pier for Manhattan terminal cruises and in the garage for Cape Liberty cruises.  We do walk off departure and can usually get home before noon time.  Sometimes a bit later if we drive through RI to pick up our dogs who stay near Oakland Beach.  I know that for longer cruises the stay and park packages can be cheaper, but for us we pay the extra to get home quicker as well as be able to leave the day of.

There is a bus that travels from Worcester to Cape Liberty which some of our neighbors took for a Breakaway cruise a few years back.  But there are so many stops on that bus that they got back home around midnight!  They hated it.  No way for me...

1 hour ago, Zeashore said:

Following;  we have always flown down to Florida but with airfares 'taking off' (haha) we are seriously considering Cape Liberty from Cape Cod.

We flew everywhere for cruises until trying the Anthem out of Cape Liberty.  Soooo much easier.  Itineraries (heading south) are not as exciting but having a 3ish hour drive home instead of a day of flying was quite nice.  It is an easy port to try different ships as the fleet is moved around.  I just have to remember that prices out of Cape Liberty can be the same as price of cruise/flight out of FL so we still keep FL in the rotation.  We are adding Baltimore to the mix in 9 days.  Guess we should try a cruise out of Boston soon too. hahaha

6 hours ago, darketower said:

We live in Worcester, MA and we drive down the day before for the same reason we fly down to Florida the day before - to avoid the stress of something coming up that is completely out of our control - traffic, weather, construction, etc etc etc.   We also like to get on the ship right at 10:30 am, which would mean waking everyone up by 4:00 am for the drive (again to factor in several additional hours just to be safe).  Yes, it's an added cost, but one that helps me feel a whole lot more relaxed at the start of my vacation. 

Thanks for the reply!  Our youngest son goes to Worcester State ?

16 minutes ago, ptod said:

We flew everywhere for cruises until trying the Anthem out of Cape Liberty.  Soooo much easier.  Itineraries (heading south) are not as exciting but having a 3ish hour drive home instead of a day of flying was quite nice.  It is an easy port to try different ships as the fleet is moved around.  I just have to remember that prices out of Cape Liberty can be the same as price of cruise/flight out of FL so we still keep FL in the rotation.  We are adding Baltimore to the mix in 9 days.  Guess we should try a cruise out of Boston soon too. hahaha

We have taken a Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore and arrived via Amtrak.  I don't think their port can accommodate the larger ships. …. We were on Grandeur. AND the weather was cold for three days out and the last three days of the cruise.  (it was a February cruise) We probably won't be doing that again.

14 hours ago, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

We like Embassy Suites. I do not use the shuttle, though, I park at the pier. It saves a ton of time on the way home, it is convenient, and it is a covered parking ramp/garage. 

Hi Mrs. RoyalMoyal,

May I ask what town the Embassy Suites is in?

TIA

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm pretty sure she is talking about the one in Elizabeth, NJ.  That is the one that many of us have stayed at.  Great property.

Thanks LTC2002. Not having to worry about luggage size and weight by driving to port is such a PRO vs CON.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

They have parking for cruisers and complimentary breakfast and happy hour.  I have pics and a mini review of it in my blog.

Thanks for that great blog during your Anthem cruise Sabrina. Well done!   We are now seriously reconsidering a January cruise out of Cape Liberty due to the cold. Not a fan. Not a fan at all. We enjoyed your insights on the ship, food, and activities as well.

Now going to sniff out an autumn or spring cruise out of Bayonne....

3 minutes ago, Zeashore said:

We are now seriously reconsidering a January

The only pro about sailing Anthem out of Cape Liberty in January is the lower prices.  As you probably know, I am from Canada.  If I'm going on vacation, I want to go somewhere hot.  It bothers me when it's not warm because then I feel like it's no different than being at home.  This is just me though.  I know what I like as a cruiser.  For some, it won't bother them because Anthem has a lot that you can do inside as well.  Just know what you are getting into and set your expectations accordingly.

44 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The only pro about sailing Anthem out of Cape Liberty in January is the lower prices.  As you probably know, I am from Canada.  If I'm going on vacation, I want to go somewhere hot.  It bothers me when it's not warm because then I feel like it's no different than being at home.  This is just me though.  I know what I like as a cruiser.  For some, it won't bother them because Anthem has a lot that you can do inside as well.  Just know what you are getting into and set your expectations accordingly.

Understood.  We have sailed out of Baltimore one February. The first three days were chchchchillly!  

On 1/2/2020 at 8:30 PM, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

We like Embassy Suites. I do not use the shuttle, though, I park at the pier. It saves a ton of time on the way home, it is convenient, and it is a covered parking ramp/garage. 

I like the sound of the Embassy Suites since there will be four of us.  Myself, sure and two sons (19&22).  May be I can book a white that's e effectively cheaper than two standard rooms... Even if not they always have breakfast, a bar, etc.  Makes for a nice stay.

I've read up on the port garage and it sounds all positive - Easy in, easy out. May be there's cheaper options but $22 a day isn't awful especially for the ease and convenience.

Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. I request a room not facing the runway. It is a good choice with teenagers.

I really like Anthem, but I recommend April through October sailings out of Bayonne. I have cruised in December, January, and February from Bayonne, I treated Day 2 and 7 as "travel days not stuck in an airport"..... it has been as cold as -12F and as warm as 60F.... on boarding day. I would do a 12 night in winter... 

10 hours ago, Mrs. RoyalMoyal said:

Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. I request a room not facing the runway. It is a good choice with teenagers.

I really like Anthem, but I recommend April through October sailings out of Bayonne. I have cruised in December, January, and February from Bayonne, I treated Day 2 and 7 as "travel days not stuck in an airport"..... it has been as cold as -12F and as warm as 60F.... on boarding day. I would do a 12 night in winter... 

I get it. When you think about it, you need to pack for cold and warm weather. I know we can bring more suitcases, but...……..

thanks so much for the reply!

Whatever you decide to do you are going on a cruise!!! have a great trip!!!

On 12/2/2019 at 5:29 AM, whenismynextcruise said:

Not sure what the hotel package offers or how convenient it is but just parking at the port for our cruise for thanksgiving week (Sat-Sun) was $176USD or $22 per day

Happy New Year!  They raised the prices at the port to $25 a day ?

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

I don't know if that helps to drive you to a park/stay and cruise or fly/stay and cruise more OP but here's the info.

1 hour ago, Cruzinfun said:

Happy New Year!  They raised the prices at the port to $25 a day ?

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

I don't know if that helps to drive you to a park/stay and cruise or fly/stay and cruise more OP but here's the info.

If I could figure out how to react with the frown face, I would. ?