Carrying on luggage with the key

Wnbfrog

So my husband and I have the key purchased for our up coming cruise.  So my question is can I carry on all of our luggage (probably just 2 suitcases) and check them in at the key drop off?  Do I have to go pick my bags up or do they deliver them to the room?  What size bags usually fit through the xray machines so you can carry them on?  

Thanks, 

Wendy. 

I believe it is 1 carry-on per person, 25 pound limit for Key guests’ luggage drop off. Otherwise, you can just check it in with the porters.

If you can fit your stuff in one 25-pound bag, that would be great since they deliver it straight to your stateroom as opposed to wandering the hallways looking for your checked luggage.

I don’t know the exact dimensions of the x-ray machine but it is the about the same size as ones at an airport (at least the ones at Cape Liberty). So if it meets airport carry-on standards, it should be okay.

Think of the normal airline carry on bag.  That's typically a 22" or smaller suitcase.

Larger suitcases will be required to be checked curbside.

Having said that someone may pop and is offer how they managed to get a larger bag through security but isn't the norm and not what the boarding process is designed to handle.  Walking uphill on the gangways over uneven surfaces isn't easy.  If they let people bring whatever size they could cram through the xray machine it would clog up the terminal and boarding process in general.  The Key is a not a means to bypass that process.

In Barcelona a couple tried to take on 6 carry on size bags and they were told they had to check 4 of them.  They were allowed to take one carry on each, and their little day packs.  The couple were not to impressed, they had made it through security and figured they were good to go.  Security is their to check the bags and not count how many each person is carrying.

On 12/1/2019 at 8:01 AM, RockerDom31 said:

I believe it is 1 carry-on per person, 25 pound limit for Key guests’ luggage drop off. Otherwise, you can just check it in with the porters.

I think the 25lb limit is correct, but I believe it was limited to 2 pieces per person. I know this past May I definitely checked a duffel bag and a backpack with the Key. 

ETA: Yep, Royal lists a limit of 2 pp in the footnotes https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-are-the-benefits-of-the-key-program