iphone usage during cruise

angel947

I am so so confused. This is my first cruise and my first iphone.  I don't know what to turn on or turn off.  I have consumer cellular.  Can I send/receive text messages?  I don't need to make cell phone calls just need to know that if needed someone can get in touch with me (have a elderly Mother).  Can anyone tell me what to turn off to avoid excessive roaming cost that all these web sites are telling me

Pre-cruise purchase and internet package. Also make sure you have iMessage turned on. (Settings, scroll down to messages, tap that and it’s right at the top) you can also see if your carrier supports WiFi calling. Tap settings, scroll to phone, tap that and look for WiFi calling and toggle the switch to on. ( you may have a few activation steps to do with that, so follow those) When on board, turn on airplane mode (tap settings and the toggle will be right on top) follow the directions in your cabin to connect to the internet.

once connected you will be able to send and receive text messages, check email etc, If your carrier does support the WiFi calling, you will also be able to make and receive phone calls without any pesky roaming charges!

a caveat to the iMessage is that you will be able to send text messages to other iPhones. If your mother does not have an iPhone, but does have a smart phone, both of you should download the app called WhatsApp. It is another messaging program that works over WiFi so you can text each other. 

hope this helps, welcome to the boards, and have a great cruise!

Here is what we do with our iPhones.

We pay for Voom (this is wifi) before our cruise via the Cruise Planner.  We put our phones in airplane mode when we board and absolutely leave our phones in airplane mode for the duration of the cruise. Putting the phones in airplane mode avoids any accidental roaming charges.

With an iPhone, you can send/receive text messages to/from other iPhones using iMessage using wifi. 

When I want to text someone who does not have an iPhone, I personally use Facebook Messenger.  There are other apps/programs out there that will allow you to do this as well.

There is a feature called wifi calling that some people use to make calls.  The phone stays in airplane mode and the call is placed over wifi.  Our cellular carrier does not support this feature, so we call using Facebook Calling.  Again, there are other apps/programs that will allow you to call over wifi if your carrier does not support wifi calling.

Edit:  I see emsff02 mentioned WhatsApp.  That's one of the other apps/programs I was talking about that allows you to communicate.

12 minutes ago, JennyJenny said:

I don't use Facebook but my gentleman friend and I use gmail/google chat to keep in touch when I travel. Assuming as long as I have the Voom/am connected to wifi on ship, I can message him the same as if I had Facebook?

He does not own a smart phone so can't download the WhatsApp ap.

Voom is the name Royal gives to their on board wifi (you have to pay for it).  Once you get it and connect, you are on the internet via wifi just like anywhere else.

Gmail and Google chat will work for you once you connect to wifi on the ship (ie. Voom).  Your friend won't have to do anything different than he usually does since he will be connected to the internet the same as always.

11 hours ago, teddy said:

Voom is the name Royal gives to their on board wifi (you have to pay for it).  Once you get it and connect, you are on the internet via wifi just like anywhere else.

Gmail and Google chat will work for you once you connect to wifi on the ship (ie. Voom).  Your friend won't have to do anything different than he usually does since he will be connected to the internet the same as always.

Perfect! Thank you!

17 minutes ago, MikeSD said:

I believe people have recommended the Surf & Stream ($$ Voom version) for apps like FaceTime.

Yea we bought the surf and stream, just wondering how well FaceTime actually works with it.  This trip will be the longest we've been away from our daughter since she was born (she'll be just over a year old when we leave) so just want to make sure we can talk on a daily basis, but being able to use an app like FaceTime where we can see her would be ideal.

1 minute ago, Geoff P said:

Yea we bought the surf and stream, just wondering how well FaceTime actually works with it.  This trip will be the longest we've been away from our daughter since she was born (she'll be just over a year old when we leave) so just want to make sure we can talk on a daily basis, but being able to use an app like FaceTime where we can see her would be ideal.

Better on newer ships but it still works on the older ships most of the time.  Satellite internet isn't perfect but for the most part it's okay.