texting while on board

angel947

can I text or receive text while on my cruise?  I have consumer cellular and they said this:        If service is available, rates are unregulated and set by the country in which you are traveling or by the cruise line. If your phone rings, you are billed — even if you don’t answer it, so our advice is to check with your cruise line before traveling to learn what their rates are, and determine if you wish to use your phone during the cruise.

Any one the answer

See your other thread for a some in-depth answers.

What Consumer Cellular told you is you will be charged for any calls or texts you send/receive.  

Royal Caribbean does not have a cellular plan to use on board its ships.

Some major carriers...like Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc have additional plans you can purchase for using your phone internationally or on cruise ships (these plans are in addition to your regular plan).  If you do not purchase an additional plan for international use (or cruising), you will most likely have a large bill.

2 hours ago, angel947 said:

can I text or receive text while on my cruise?  I have consumer cellular and they said this:        If service is available, rates are unregulated and set by the country in which you are traveling or by the cruise line. If your phone rings, you are billed — even if you don’t answer it, so our advice is to check with your cruise line before traveling to learn what their rates are, and determine if you wish to use your phone during the cruise.

Any one the answer

Per @teddy my wife has Sprint and can text for about 50 cents each, which isn't a problem in an emergency.  There is something about International Waters vs. territorial waters that affects access (better in International), and Sprint does have some sort of cruise plan now.  As reported, my wife changes her settings so she isn't charged for data downloads when the phone tries to update.

4 hours ago, angel947 said:

Any one the answer

Based on their disclaimer you can but they know the charges can be extreme and out of their control.  I see you setting yourself up for a large bill. You can't control who calls you, nor the data that comes to your phone if you have it connected to a cell tower.  Data will continuously come via emails and apps so I advise you to either not use your pone while on-board or purchase an internet plan.  Current Black Friday prices are decent so snag one while you can.   

On 11/28/2019 at 11:57 AM, ANGELA ROMAN said:

I use Facebook Messenger when I'm on board.

No charges or fees at all & it's practically the same as texting as long as you have the people you want to text with as your friends on FB.

Caveat is you need to purchase an internet package to be able to access Facebook.  In that case you should be able to do pure txt messaging, use iMessaging, and even use wifi calling.  Just make sure you set your phone in airplane mode.