Navigator - 911 hits the High Seas (Dec 2 - Dec 6, 2019)

SpeedNoodles

Ok, my attempt at blogging my Ovation cruise was a colossal failure (I'm just going to blame the bad internet connection, because why not?), but I'm going to give it another crack.  Not that there haven't been a thousand Navigator blogs.  I'll do my best to attempt to make it remotely interesting.

This time I will not be sailing with Mr. SpeedNoodles - instead I will be sailing with a coworker and a retired coworker - two of my bestest buds. We are (and/or were) 911 Police/Fire/EMT dispatchers from the cold, snowy state of Minnesota.   My retired compadre (Kris) has been on one cruise previously (7 nights to the Western Caribbean on Rhapsody, last Feb) and my other friend (Tiffany) has never been on a cruise. Ever.  Her biggest fear is getting seasick, but she's pretty excited about it nonetheless. It will also be her first time away from her two little girls, so she'll probably have mixed feelings.

I work overnights (aka "dog shift"), so I left work at 7am this morning, after working through a snowstorm, during which I brushed the snow off of my little car no less than 3 times throughout the night. I was burned years ago when I didn't check on my Chevy Equinox overnight during a storm and I couldn't find my car for over 24 hours.  The driver's side mirror was all that anyone could find the next day. I'm not retiring in Minnesota, if anyone is keeping track.

snow car 1.jpg

So as of this morning at 7am, I'm officially ON VACATION!!!!!  So excited.  We will be celebrating not only  just time hanging out together but the birthdays of my two partners in crime, and my recent promotion to Floor Supervisor at work (which won't actually go into effect until April, but who's counting).  We are all #TeamDX.  As a birthday gift to my friends and to spoil them a bit I purchased The Key at an acceptable price.  We booked a corner aft balcony (under the Windjammer, but I don't anticipate a great deal of grief with this location) - huge balcony and I'm not sure I'll ever get Tiff out of one of those lounge chairs back there.  She says she's just planning to sleep there. Time will tell.

In Nassau we will be going to the British Colonial Hilton for a beach day (I don't do "sit around on the beach" well, but they say the use of their kayaks, etc, is included, so I'll keep busy) and spending a little time exploring the port, which I didn't do when I was there last Feb.  At Coco Cay we have an Oasis Lagoon Cabana booked (I found it at the awesome price of $319, and harassed them into doing it - I'm not sure I'll ever again find such a deal!), and Tiff and I have reservations for the helium balloon, but we'll see if weather cooperates.   #highwindsfollowmeeverywhere    My friends have both had a great deal of stress over the last few years, and they are looking forward to relaxing, so whatever they want to do goes.

So I have 3 days to try to stop thinking about work, try to settle into vacation mode, and pack! Our flight leaves on Sunday morning, and we will be staying at the Kimpton Epic Hotel in Miami, very close to the Intercontinental (great deal obtained through HotWire).

More to come soon! (Seriously, I promise).

I am so excited for you guys !  I know you’re going to have a blast.  I have often, secretly, considered a “girl’s cruise” but I don’t think I would ever be able to ditch you-know-who.  He has one of those sad dog faces when he is disappointed and I don’t know if I could enjoy myself (plus, I’d never hear the end of it !).

Good for you that you are doing it !

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am so excited for you guys !  I know you’re going to have a blast.  I have often, secretly, considered a “girl’s cruise” but I don’t think I would ever be able to ditch you-know-who. 

Honestly, I've never been a "girl's trip" kind of person - I'm an only child, so sharing a room and making plans with a group of people (who aren't my husband) is a real social and psychological challenge for me.  I totally failed the roommate thing in college. We'll see how that aspect goes!  Still, I'm really looking forward to this one!

3 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Honestly, I've never been a "girl's trip" kind of person!

This is totally me too.  Fortunately I have found my "people" and after years of drama thinning out the crowd I have a group I wouldn't mind sharing a cabin with.  But oh goodness trying to get anyone to make a decision and making plans is like herding cats ?

33 hours until our flight to Miami is "scheduled" to depart.  I'm trying to get onto a daytime schedule, but last night I wasn't tired enough to fall asleep until 4:30 am (that's a lot of binge watching of "Shameless" on Netflix).

I spent the night packing (i.e. discovering that I gained weight over the summer and a change of plans for what clothes got dumped into the suitcase).  Still, I got it done without shedding a tear, so I'm calling it a win.  I also had to do it pretty quickly - as anyone with a cat knows, there's not much time between opening the suitcase and the cat inserting itself into said suitcase.

20191129_234409.thumb.jpg.218f413066fe31e8e10bc6585042f3e5.jpg

The next challenge is the weather.  The closer we get to our flight time, the worse the forecast becomes.  I guess that's why we fly a day ahead, right?  Keeping fingers crossed that we aren't delayed too long, and can spend a little time enjoying Miami.

Screenshot_20191129-234918_Grumpy Weather.jpg

Screenshot_20191129-235011_Grumpy Weather.jpg

OK, I just went out to shovel the deck, but the ice pellets hurt my head. I seriously need to get out of here. 

We are all checked in for our flights, but only two of us received seat assignments, so I don't know if that means they overbooked the flight and the other will be on standby or not. I don't fly frequently, and rarely on Delta. We're crossing our fingers. 

(wow, clearly I haven't learned the art of posting smaller videos and photos - sorry, gang!)

Kimpton Epic Hotel 

We booked the Kimpton Epic through Hotwire at $239/night. We picked an area we wanted to stay and a star rating, and came up with this. Not bad for 3 people. Mr. SpeedNoodles and I will be back in February, used Priceline, and wound up with the same hotel and price. Lesson learned, don't pay more thab $240/night at the Kimpton. 

After grabbing a Lyft from the airport ($15.33) we enjoyed a 15-minute ride to the hotel with a very friendly driver. When we checked in, the desk host said "Well, because you've been having winter in Minnesota since about July, we're going to upgrade you to a water view!". Well....ok by us!!!!! 

Each room has a generous balcony, and ours did not disappoint. We have a full view of the cruise port, and could spot Oasis of the Seas. 20191201_160045.thumb.jpg.c43d1250cc3e9bb9db474cb73e4f2f15.jpg

We were really happy with the room, and spent some time cleaning up. We had to make Happy Hour (read : free wine) by 5pm.  Here's some pics from the room :

20191201_160140.thumb.jpg.dc43202f3337c5a0bb3b491f26c611c6.jpg

20191201_160027.jpg

20191201_160057.jpg

20191201_161212.jpg

20191201_160148.jpg

20191201_160153.jpg

20191201_160103.jpg

20191201_160111.jpg

20191201_164031.jpg

20191201_160143.jpg

Pool area:

20191201_165150.jpg

20191201_164508.jpg

20191201_164031.jpg

20191201_165119.jpg

20191201_164514.jpg

20191201_164546.jpg

After wine we walked down to Biscayne Marketplace and had a bite to eat at Hard Rock Cafe (#toursist) and then mojitos at the Mojito Bar.. 

20191201_194107.jpg

Hitting the hay for tonight, more to report tomorrow, from SpeedNoodles! 

20191201_175420.jpg

20191201_164612.jpg

20191201_164612.jpg

After a brief Uber ride to the port, we arrived at Terminal A. It was a quick check in, and we were on the ship by 10:35.  We dropped off our luggage in the MDR (The Key) and headed up to grab a quick "breakfast" at El Loco Fresh (and maybe a drink). 

20191202_105845.thumb.jpg.291b7fa2f423ab8c3055ea8c9fdab0bb.jpg

We did a bit of ship exploration, and then hit our actual lunch (Chops in the MDR).

We have a corner aft oversized balcony on deck 10. Here's a short tour (hopefully!) 

https://www.pscp.tv/w/cLVQRDF6WUViQllBT1pCRWV8MXZPR3dhVk15V0x4QjnLn4MiH63w-6hMjfB-Qr3AP71vtybv3sGkB7X6fO1F?t=1s

We're going to do a little unpacking and then hit the water slides! 

After a brief Uber ride to the port, we arrived at Terminal A. It was a quick check in, and we were on the ship by 10:35.  We dropped off our luggage in the MDR (The Key) and headed up to grab a quick "breakfast" at El Loco Fresh (and maybe a drink). 

20191202_105845.thumb.jpg.291b7fa2f423ab8c3055ea8c9fdab0bb.jpg

We did a bit of ship exploration, and then hit our actual lunch (Chops in the MDR).

We have a corner aft oversized balcony on deck 10. Here's a short tour (hopefully!) 

https://www.pscp.tv/w/cLVQRDF6WUViQllBT1pCRWV8MXZPR3dhVk15V0x4QjnLn4MiH63w-6hMjfB-Qr3AP71vtybv3sGkB7X6fO1F?t=1s

We're going to do a little unpacking and then hit the water slides! 

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm having major issues getting onto Voom - it tells me to go to login.com, but my browser shunts me automatically to login business.com. It worked only once and I created a user name and password, but I received a privacy warning and it shut me down. Booooo. 

I was using logout.com on Oasis when I had issues to log off and back in again..maybe try that?

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm having major issues getting onto Voom - it tells me to go to login.com, but my browser shunts me automatically to login business.com. It worked only once and I created a user name and password, but I received a privacy warning and it shut me down. Booooo. 

Some exact thing happened to me a bunch on Anthem last month...

We had a full first day, with my traveling companions being quite impressed with the ship. We managed to hit one trip down the Blaster slide - tons of fun, only a 15-minute wait, and probably only the second water slide I've ever been on in my life #lame. After Muster, we headed straight to the helipad, and waited. And waited. And waited. Apparently one of the ships that was supposed to leave before us had been delayed, and we were 5th in line to go. After watching a few bypass us, it just became too chilly and windy to wait it out (not to mention it was getting dark.  We grabbed a snack from Cafe Promenade, a drink from the pub, and headed up to watch sail away from the protection of our balcony. 

20191202_181856.thumb.jpg.95bb378e2e510bf72c79400ab869db73.jpg

We had reservations in the MDR for 9:15, so we went down to see if we could get into the ice show. 

When I mentioned going to the ice show I received a positive, yet lukewarm, response. We sat in The Key section (really nice seats). I'd seen the ice show on Mariner, which I liked, but this one was so much better. Color my friends impressed - they were amazed (and I was so happy that they were having so much fun). 

Dinner in the MDR was very good. It's fun when you tell a new cruiser that they can have anything they want, and much as they want. While I'm having fun, most of my fun is coming from watching my friends become hooked on cruising. 

They were beat after dinner, but far be it from me to miss the 70s Disco Inferno Party on the Promenade (really the only time I like that space).  While I'm typically a pretty shy person, all bets are off on a cruise and I have no problems dancing with other passengers and crew, so I had an absolute blast. I had to be obnoxious and had to get my photo taken with the "cop" from the "Village People" for my cohorts. 

20191202_233923.thumb.jpg.f7d2042c6c0416f0e1ee584eb31ab15e.jpg

We had a great time today in Nassau and on the ship. I have to say that I'm really unsure where the person /people who put out the Cruise Compass get their weather forecasts from, though. Checking weather.com daily, I expected temps in the low 70s. The Cruise Compass insisted (OK, strong word for a number on a sheet of paper, but work with me) that it was going to be in the low 80s.

It was 72.

But, being a weather site stalker, I was prepared. With rash guard and swim cover up in my war chest we headed off to the Hilton British Colonial for a beach day. Although we were planning to paddle board and kayak, it was simply too breezy (read:not quite warm enough). The property was beautiful. There were under 20 other guests there. The service was extremely slow, but very friendly. While there was a $40 food/beverage credit, it did not go far, the food was unrealistically expensive as it related to its quality. I did enjoy the Hemingway Daiquiri, however.

20191203_125514.thumb.jpg.2e7293da45ada7738f18f8ac97341300.jpg

20191203_130328.thumb.jpg.a6db1c78c2b55e201f644527808206de.jpg

We arrived around 11:30 and took off by 2:30. It was a good afternoon, but for what we were able to do (blame the weather), it would have behooved us to spend the day on the ship. I'm a weirdo, and was early amused by a Laughing Gull who was convinced that we were going to share some food, and just quietly hung out with us for quite a while. Be it exotic critters or sky rats, I'm pretty content when there's a critter around (#weirdchick). 

We stopped at Senor Frogs for a quick drink and guac made at tableside, then headed back to the ship. 

My friends took a shot at the Blaster slide, but at this point the sun was lower, the wind stronger at the top of the ship, and I was overchilled. I can't say this to Mr SpeedNoodles, though, as he's been home scraping I've. It's all in one's perspective. 

When we returned to the room we found that our stateroom attendant, Venicio, had complied with my request for the use of a robe, since I'm Platinum now. He brought one for each of us, which really tickled everyone. 

We got showered and dressed for Dress Your Best night, and stopped in the Schooner Bar for one (*ahem... maybe more) pre-dinner martinis and a bit of Classic Movie Trivia. Let's just say that after a couple of martinis none of us could remember the names of the Seven Dwarfs (poor Bashful and Happy). 

Dinner was good (too much food was consumed, and MORE WINE). We're turning in early in anticipation of tomorrow at Coco Cay. 

20191203_220757.thumb.jpg.bad79eeb5859865496f89ca72ccb0e75.jpg

Woke up to a gorgeous sunrise over NCL's Island.

20191204_065713.thumb.jpg.9a40d22543702d62b6f81e4006701cda.jpg

Once again, Royal is unrealistically optimistic in the weather department. I assume our helium balloon excursion will fall through due to wind, but we will be comfy in our cabana. 

20191204_082542.thumb.jpg.123f255e9f966d92dcca7554be39c80b.jpg20191204_082433.thumb.jpg.ad22808fe3fbe45add26cb721d9239bc.jpg

According to staff on the island, the weather is warm, calm, and sunny. It's, indeed, a Perfect Day!

20191204_091911.thumb.jpg.548cb3e8f12493bb0b28d5914de8c939.jpg

20191204_084112.jpg

20191204_085331.jpg

20191204_090124.jpg

Coco Cay

What can I say about Coco Cay that hasn't already been said?

We had managed to score an Oasis Lagoon Cabana for the really nice price of $319 back in the spring. In the morning we were very thankful, as it sheltered us from the somewhat chilly wind. Not Minnesota chilly, but chilly for swimsuits and tank tops. We grabbed a drink, and just enjoyed the comfort of our private area. We ordered lunch about 45 minutes before they opened for lunch, so we had lunch on our table by 11:05 (wow, I really typed "lunch" too many times there). Finally a chance to try the crispy chicken sandwich! I didn't find it to be terribly crispy (maybe from sitting in a box for a bit of time), and I thought it could have used more spices, but I liked it, and I'd certainly get it again. 

We then decided to do some island exploring, since my traveling companions had never been there. It was a bit slow going since one of them had stubbed her pinky toe badly at the Hilton yesterday, and it was swollen and about 30 shades of purple. She was a good sport, though. 

We really spent the day doing much of nothing. The pool was really too cold for any of our comfort. But we were fine with doing nothing on a beautiful island. 

Our cabana service was sketchy. I don't know if our attendant was just disinterested, or if 20191204_085604.thumb.jpg.cf19990fd02a9cc7ce6dd2c6ea176759.jpgher wristband wasn't working, but it was a long time and several presses of the service button before she'd come over. Slightly annoying, but nothing that we were upset about. 

In typical "me" fashion, I was overjoyed that the critters of the island were hanging out in the cabana area. The chickens regularly hung out on the deck with us (no, we weren't feeding them.... although I may, or may not, have been dangling a shiny object to amuse the hens). Even one of the resident iguanas visited.

20191204_105723.thumb.jpg.b4f36dd3fbfd13e69a0365a1f67a08df.jpg

20191204_110022.thumb.jpg.346720cee0b06c4c687c52457b989b36.jpg

The sky rats are crafty, and managed to steal some funnel cake off of Kris's plate, which started a huge sky rat scuffle. Frankly, I felt the winner had a pretty smug look on his face. 

20191204_115040.thumb.jpg.d0ac1e309cea45bc148cba53d2d9840c.jpg

We stayed until a little after 3, when the sun got low enough that there was only shade in the cabana area. The cabanas face north, so the sun was always behind us. 

20191204_153517.thumb.jpg.e2a59c14236d3f6e58716f0b6e87d0f1.jpg

We enjoyed sail away from our balcony and relaxed. I had a full night planned for us... We could sleep in the next day!! 

We hit the Schooner Bar for Elton John Trivia and some pre-dinner libations, then hit the MDR for another very good, and overfilling, dinner. By now we were all totally enamored with our waiter, Malcin, and had a great time. 

I suggested that we head down to Studio B for the Battle of the Sexes game, followed by the Quest. I was going with or without them. They made the correct choice. We all laughed nearly 2 hours straight, and participated as much as we could (note: The Key seats were good, EXCEPT there was no direct access to the floor without hurdling over a barrier. #ruleswhatrules.

With that, our night was complete, and we were looking forward a full sea day. 

20191204_171546.thumb.jpg.d73ceb8952ab35073c9fe25020a00394.jpg