Digital vs. Print Photo package

jupiter03

These are showing up the same price in my cruise planner. While doing research, it appears most people purchase the digital package. What is the advantage of the digital package over the print? It seems to me that the print package would be superior since it would cost extra to print my favorite digital photos after. Is there something I'm missing?

I am sailing on Liberty. Does RCCL still print all photos and then you have to search for them on the walls? 

I prefer the digital files so that I am able to have multiple copies printed and choose what size I want the print to be. Paper choices from the place I use are also better than that used on board. 

I usually purchase the package on our family sailings and it’s nice to be able to print photos for everyone in the group photos easily.  Trying to scan and print from an original photo purchased on board doesn’t typically look as good either. 

Haven't sailed Liberty so I don’t know if she has the computers that use facial recognition. 

just off Liberty past Sunday, NO more prints on the wall, every thing in kiosks.  you can chose print, email to you, or down load and email.  down load is free no purchase of internet required.

Worked great, was even able to get our Diamond photos in electronic format (jpg) for the first time.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear we no longer have to stalk the walls. It was always so hard to find photos. I remember finding all ours and placing them behind each other, as we didn't want to buy early ones in case future ones turned out better. And then the royal photo people would just move them around so you had to keep finding them.  Looking forward to seeing how the kiosks work. 

8 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

just off Liberty past Sunday, NO more prints on the wall, every thing in kiosks.  you can chose print, email to you, or down load and email.  down load is free no purchase of internet required.

Worked great, was even able to get our Diamond photos in electronic format (jpg) for the first time.

On Allure a couple of months ago the Photo Focus guy said they were going to start not printing them unless asked.

• 1 month later...

Recently off the Navigator. We, wife and I, prepurchased the Digital Package. After going to the picture studio, we swiped my seapass card, as I was the one who purchased it, but it includes everyone in the cabin, similar to renting a beach bed or cabana, only 1 needs to purchase but everyone in the stateroom can use it. I was afraid of getting a USB Drive but you were asked to login to rccl.com and enter a special code that appears after you swipe your seapass card, just took a picture of it on my phone so I could set-up later back in the room. Downloading the pictures to my iPad was a breeze, but after we got home we received an email with similar things to download once we got home. We have enjoyed sharing pictures with family and friends via text, email, and social media. We also purchased 5 prints on board, the best 5, as they were $5 per or 5 for $15 since we purchased the digital package. Just needed some pretty pictures for the wall at home.  Good luck and have fun!

4 hours ago, Aggiew said:

Does everyone typically buy 1 package per couple or family?  
I hate to sound cheap but don’t see the sense of 2 when we are always together.

If you can manipulate it so that there is always someone from the purchasing stateroom in every photo, then you only need 1 package per family.

15 hours ago, LisaV said:

What is the digital format of the photos provided if you buy the Digital Package ahead of time? Disc or Thumb Drive? Heading on Brillance soon although smaller I hope they stop printing soon too. 

I think it might be just via download at this point.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:00 PM, lh193 said:

These are showing up the same price in my cruise planner. While doing research, it appears most people purchase the digital package. What is the advantage of the digital package over the print? It seems to me that the print package would be superior since it would cost extra to print my favorite digital photos after. Is there something I'm missing?

The way I see it, if you've got a scanner and time to spare, you can get the prints and do your thing. Just remember that you will need to collect the physical prints and put them away for the trip home. One print may not weigh that much, but get 100 prints and it starts adding up.

With digital, you can print whichever pictures you want, at whatever size you want, at minimal extra cost. No additional scanning required, and you can download at your leisure. Weight, obviously, is negligible.

• 2 weeks later...

This is our second cruise and we recently purchased the all digital photo package. Does that include all photos taken or are some only in print form? We didn't even stop to look at our photos over our last cruise so that we wouldn't be tempted to buy anything. I'm not sure how it works exactly. Is there often a photographer roaming the ship for random photos? I don't remember ever seeing one. My best friend and I are taking our 18 year old daughters this time so we'd like to make sure to get some good photos but we don't always want to be standing in lines either. Also, do they provide a USB for downloads or is something I need to bring along?

Digital is the only way to go.  Don`t worry about waiting in line. The  waits are not long. The only roaming photographers are at dinner time roaming tables. And DON`T do just 1 photo line. The more you do the better your selection will be.  The beaut of the digital is you print what you want when you want them.