passport in safe

angel947

1 hour ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Last time in Nassau (Feb 2019), we needed to have photo ID in Addition to our seapass cards to get back to the pier area from town. 

Yes!  We needed a photo ID to re-board in Nassau.  Check the Cruise Compass; it will indicate what you need to get back on the ship.

We were there last year over Christmas and we were actually asked for our passport prior to boarding the ship.  I am not sure what the problem was but we had all of our documents in my bag, we showed our sea pass cards and that was not good enough for them.  Like I stated earlier thankfully I had them in my back pack and was quick to pull them out and show them.  Once I produced our passports we were allowed to pass.  We have been to Nassau 4 times and this was the first time we had been asked to produce them. 

Sitting onboard Navigator now having just left Nassau.  Took my seapass and photo id but was never asked for Id when reboarding.  Opinions vary widely on the passport.  We leave ours in the safe the whole cruise but some prefer to take it with them, it’s truly a matter of preference.  I’ve heard a couple ports are going to start requiring passports next year to leave the ship but we haven’t encountered that yet.

17 hours ago, angel947 said:

do I need to take my passport with me while in Nassau or can I leave it in my cabin safe?

Our rule has been to take our license as photo ID but leave the passport in the safe, unless the cruise compass tells us otherwise.  We had table-mates in the MDR who were pick-pocketed when they took passports with them in the port.  We aren't worried about being left behind.  We also have travel cards and sometimes use those as photo ids, but they won't get you on the plane.   On other threads it has been reported that RCI will get your passports out of your stateroom if you are a no-show at any port--- your documents are then left with the port agent.  I have never tested this...My fear of losing or damaging my passport is greater than my fear of being stranded.  Others feel differently, as reported.

Our main purpose in having a passport on the closed loop cruises is in case of an emergency.  If there is a medical or family emergency it is easier to get back in the US with a passport.  It doesn't do any good locked in your safe.  I think people are too paranoid about losing it.  Do you leave your drivers license at home because your afraid of losing it? Do you leave your wallet at home because your afraid of losing it?  I can count on one hand,  if I had four fingers missing,  how many times I lost my wallet or license.  Take a walk on the wild side,  take your passport with you on the port stops.

7 hours ago, MikeK said:

Our main purpose in having a passport on the closed loop cruises is in case of an emergency.  If there is a medical or family emergency it is easier to get back in the US with a passport.  It doesn't do any good locked in your safe.  I think people are too paranoid about losing it.  Do you leave your drivers license at home because your afraid of losing it? Do you leave your wallet at home because your afraid of losing it?  I can count on one hand,  if I had four fingers missing,  how many times I lost my wallet or license.  Take a walk on the wild side,  take your passport with you on the port stops.

If you have an emergency in port, you can still get your passport out of your safe before you fly home.  Anything you take with you in port is at risk, but you do need to take some risks. You just choose which ones, and usually with an eye to minimizing them.  While at home, I do need to carry my driver's license most of the time, but I don't carry all of my credit cards -- most are in my "safe" at home, along with my checkbook, etc. The reasoning is parallel when on the ship.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

I always take my passport off the ship when I'm in a foreign port.

The reason is if you are ever stuck in a port for whatever reason and the ship leaves you behind, if you have your passport you can exit the country right then and there.  Without the passport, you have to find the nearest US Embassy (and there is not one in every port you vist), wait for it to open, and then get an exit visa.

Like the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.