Is it just me or...

JennyJenny

...is the Main Dining Room menu pretty much the same (with some variation here and there) across the fleet?

I was trying to find more recent menus for Grandeur and noticed some of the recent menus for other ships look like old menus for Grandeur? It appears to me they have found a good selection/rotation and are sticking with it. This isn't a bad thing. I was just feeling less like looking for menus specific to Grandeur if that was the case.

Perhaps those who have sailed more ships over the years can confirm or deny?

Just curious.

Thanks for posting this. The question I have is for sailings that are longer than 7 nights. I know the standard 7 night menu is used across the fleet, but I have trouble finding the menus for the extra days. For instance, I am going on a 12 night Brilliance of the Seas cruise next year and I am curious about the extra 5 menus.

Royal has several dishes that are found fleet wide.  The supply chain caters to these standard offerings. 

Rather than having each ship trying to order X lbs of chicken or Y lbs of beef then do their own thing by standardizing they can streamline ordering and negotiate better rates on a aggregated basis.  This approach creates a more consistent Royal experience rather than having one ship be great and another ship maybe fall short.  

What the food and beverage manager working with the head chef can do is make subtle changes with respect how items appear on the menu each night.  Perhaps Steak Diane is offered with Duck L'Orange on day two for one ship while Steak Diane is offered with Braised Ribs on day four on another ship.  

As each ship progresses through their stores of food loaded in the freezers they may find they have more chicken and less duck one week so maybe a chicken entree appears again a few days later.  It's the same chicken entree offered on another ship but now it's offered again on the same cruise. 

Each ship has a food budget for every cruise.  If they have consumed too little of the food budget one week they may offer something like lobster in the WJ one night to get back on track towards the budget.  Next cruise they might not do that.  

So it's somewhat dynamic but using standard company offerings.   

2 hours ago, MelKaps said:

Thanks for posting this. The question I have is for sailings that are longer than 7 nights. I know the standard 7 night menu is used across the fleet, but I have trouble finding the menus for the extra days. For instance, I am going on a 12 night Brilliance of the Seas cruise next year and I am curious about the extra 5 menus.

There are only 7 menus.  Once you hit week 2, they start repeating, with subtle changes as twangster described, but they won't have 12 completely unique menus.

7 hours ago, JennyJenny said:

...is the Main Dining Room menu pretty much the same (with some variation here and there) across the fleet?

I was trying to find more recent menus for Grandeur and noticed some of the recent menus for other ships look like old menus for Grandeur? It appears to me they have found a good selection/rotation and are sticking with it. This isn't a bad thing. I was just feeling less like looking for menus specific to Grandeur if that was the case.

Perhaps those who have sailed more ships over the years can confirm or deny?

Just curious.

There is some geographic variation, e.g., different entrees and side dishes overseas.    Case in point would be the British food experience when sailing out of Southampton.  At least this was the case three years ago....

6 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Ironically, the post just below yours asking about the menus for Oasis has the same answer.  Check the following thread for pictures of the current MDR menus.  Yes they are used across the fleet and have been for some time.

Oh! Good to know! I don't always read the ones about ships I am not on as I figured the questions weren't relevant to my own sailing. Thanks for pointing that out!

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal has several dishes that are found fleet wide.  The supply chain caters to these standard offerings.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I am thinking it's also easier to streamline preparation of a "tied and true" dish versus constantly having to manage new ones, especially at the volume they are working at. Sure, if you have a little bistro and can cater more individually but feeding the masses necessitates some efficiency and sticking with what works is... what works!

36 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

There is some geographic variation, e.g., different entrees and side dishes overseas.    Case in point would be the British food experience when sailing out of Southampton.  At least this was the case three years ago....

That also makes sense that it would also have a regional theme/element. So "chicken" would be the protein but a ship sailing regularly from Japan is probably going to have one version while one sailing from Texas might have another.