Stateroom categories Anthem

The normal difference between these cabins is location on the ships, location in relationship to elevators, the deck they are located on. In general Royal considers a D1 to be the best available within that stateroom group. But what Royal values and what you or I value can be completely different. My friend who introduced me to cruising with over a 1000 days at sea always stayed in a inside cabin very low middle of the ship. Because in his mind that was the best cabin for him.  

You will find D1 is located in the middle of the ship very near elevators on the deck that Royal believes is the better deck for that type of cabin. I would guess the D8 you booked is on a lower deck and far forward or far aft. Some people want to be forward or aft so it really is personal choice.

yep - the size of the staterooms is generally the same in each category

but the number like D3, vs D4 gives you options as to locations.  And also determines

if they hold 2, 3 or 4 people as well.   The more middle of the ship, the more the cost

generally or the more exclusive the category like Aft Balcony cabins, the more the cost

Hope that helps.