Puerto Rico

45 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Seen this posted on spacebook and find it interesting. I don’t put a lot of stock in what the news published now days. Time will tell.

02A7B9E5-A57C-4190-A2E1-D2804CA8E008.png

For those who can read Spanish:

https://www.elnuevodia.com/negocios/empresas/nota/confirmanlacancelaciondedecenasdeparadasdecrucerosderoyalcaribbeanenpuertorico-2531589/

For those who don't read Spanish, English translation attached below in pdf format. Enjoy!! ?

other.pdf

This article is from Primerahor.com   I have no idea who it is, but this is the article people are referring to. 

Millionaire losses due to cancellation of more than 90 cruise visits

By Primerahora.com11/26/2019 | 08: 10 am

"There are still important companies like Carnival that have not expressed themselves, so the effect of cancellations can reach 500,000 passengers. The damage to the economy can exceed $ 100 million dollars," Matos García concluded. (Archive) 

"These cancellations come to us by surprise," said the head of Tourism, who explains what the governor's instruction is in this situation.

The representative for Carolina and spokesman of the Popular Democratic Party in the Tourism Commission of the House of Representatives, Ángel Matos García, denounced through a press release the mass cancellation of dozens of visits and departures of cruise ships from the docks of San Juan to the 2020-2021 season.

"Unfortunately since last Friday it has begun to confirm the cancellation of dozens of visits and departures of cruise ships from Puerto Rico, affecting thousands of direct and indirect jobs throughout the island," said the representative.

At WKAQ, the director of the Authority for Public Private Partnerships (APP), Fermin Fontanet, said they knew of numerous cancellations but did not accept that it was related to the privatization attempt.

ADVERTISING

The cancellation list is headed by the Royal Caribean company with about 90 visits canceled, this represents about 360,000 people less and an impact of about $ 44 million to the economy of Puerto Rico.

"In addition to the canceled transit visits, 30 base departures (home porting) are being canceled, which decreases the options for Puerto Rican families who do nautical tourism and affect the profitability of rooms before and after the crossing of tourists traveling to the country. One of the ships affected by this decision is the Freedom of the Seas, which is so popular on the island, "he said.

Other cruises that announce the cancellation of visits to the island are the Allure of the Seas and Symphony or the Seas, both with a capacity of over 6,000 passengers.

"All this is mainly the fault of the public-private alliance (PPP), which the government proposes to privatize the operations on the docks of San Juan and Ponce, knowing the opposition of the shipping industry and still insists on granting. there are important companies like Carnival that have not expressed themselves, so the effect of cancellations can reach 500,000 passengers. The damage to the economy can exceed $ 100 million. I urge Governor Wanda Vázquez to reconsider this privatization. " Matos García concluded in his press release.

In the same radio station, the director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company (CTPR), Carla Campos, said that the reality is that "we have a need to improve our infrastructure" because although with the docks they look good, the reality is that What is traditionally done are patches.

ADVERTISING

Campos added that "the governor (Wanda Vázquez) has given a clear instruction" that "we have to maintain the dialogue" between the cruise lines and the government.

He said it all started with an unsolicited proposal for improvements to the docks that began, under a 2009 law, to open a competitive process for various bidders to offer to make these improvements. There are four companies under evaluation, he said.

"We were very surprised ... we have had an open dialogue with the cruise lines ... these cancellations come as a surprise," said the head of Tourism.

He said there is a historical background that large cruise companies finance improvements in ports in exchange for some control of those docks. The current improvement process would be contrary to that practice, and it is the turn that other major tourist destinations such as Bahamas have begun.

On the other hand, through a press release, the mayor of Loíza, Julia Nazario Fuentes expressed herself before the mass cancellation of dozens of visits and departures of cruise ships from the San Juan docks for the 2020-2021 season.

"Since last September there has been a warning call from the tourism industry for the bad decision to privatize the operations on the docks of San Juan and Ponce through a private public alliance, which would increase costs for the industry We are starting to build a tourism development strategy through the visits of cruise tourists, who in the few hours on the island can visit our tourist and gastronomic attractions, "said the mayor.

We have cruise booked out of San Juan in late January, we cruised out of San Juan last January and became a favorite winter cruise port.  We are meeting friends from California and the rest traveling from Cincinnati area, sure hoping this gets straightened out or Royal would give us plenty of time and options. I know our cruise is sold out on the Vision of the Seas, if we get any updates, I will update on here, I know this affects many people.

2 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

here’s the story on cruise fever ....... we’re on Oasis right now and supposed to go to San Juan tomorrow ....... as of now they haven’t told us otherwise ..... 

https://cruisefever.net/cruise-ships-canceling-port-stops-in-san-juan-puerto-rico/

Thank you, let us know if they cancel please. 

34 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

Not trying to start an argument and geography may mean this idea doesn’t make but it is possible that cancelling San Juan stops will allow RC to funnel more traffic to Perfect Day.   This could be an added incentive 

All of the Symphony and Harmony itineraries that have San Juan already  included Perfect Day.

38 minutes ago, RCVoyager said:

I don't think they are talking about ships home ported in San Juan (Freedom), just those stopping by for the day.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From the translated article posted by @Okgladgal:

10 hours ago, Okgladgal said:

"In addition to the canceled transit visits, 30 base departures (home porting) are being canceled, which decreases the options for Puerto Rican families who do nautical tourism and affect the profitability of rooms before and after the crossing of tourists traveling to the country. One of the ships affected by this decision is the Freedom of the Seas, which is so popular on the island, "he said.

Other cruises that announce the cancellation of visits to the island are the Allure of the Seas and Symphony or the Seas, both with a capacity of over 6,000 passengers.

50 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

UGH.  That totally stinks.  I just spoke with my TA and she said they will be watching and let me know ASAP if our cruise is impacted.  It will impact so much in terms of tourism for Puerto Rico, she said, which is sad for their economy. 

11 hours ago, Okgladgal said:

The cancellation list is headed by the Royal Caribean company with about 90 visits canceled, this represents about 360,000 people less and an impact of about $ 44 million to the economy of Puerto Rico.

I always find it interesting how in one "news" report the impact of cruise ships visits to any given destination is downplayed like it has minimal impact then we see a claim like this were $44M will be lost.   Damn.  Forty four million dollars lost and that isn't for a complete withdrawal, just some ships not coming.   

So which is it?  Do cruise ship visits help the local economy or do they not?  Sigh...

Of course I didn't here about this before I booked my cruise on Symphony yesterday.    I am not concerned bc we are so far out and if it comes to fruition I would believe by the time of my cruise they will maybe find a different stop to replace OSJ.  For my cruise we are already stopping at Labadee and Coco Cay.  The other 2 ports were suppose to be OSJ and St. Thomas.

I think this is a pressure play from RCL just like they did with Bahamas a couple of years ago.  

On 12/4/2019 at 5:47 PM, bobroo said:

Thank you for sharing @mworkman !

So Royal Caribbean does not appear to be so squeaky clean after all. Very interesting.....

I guess I don't understand your point.  RCCL is pushing back and doing so in a professional manner.  They are defending their position, and while it should not have been done is a public manner, the original info was leaked in an attempt to pressure RCCL into buckling.  What is not "squeaky clean" about the cruise line's response?

This sort of business "negotiation" occurs more often than people in the public think.  Airlines use airports.  Have you heard about the squabble at Love field? 

If the cruising public doesn't care about higher cruise costs than I suppose you could argue it's dirty laundry.  If you were a business owner having you costs driven up by a 3rd party arriving on the scene as a middle man trying to push back may seem like it's not "squeaky clean".  So yeah, just rollover and accept higher costs.  Okay.  Who cares?  So a cruise cost more money?  Big deal, right?