Harmony or Symphony

Pima1988

5 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

Both will be going to Coco Cay or Labadee.   For both we would be in a balcony.  Both would be 7 nights.  We are beach people, so as long as there is a beach, we are fine regarding ports.  1 is going to St Kitts.  1 is going to San Juan.  I am good with either.  Both would be in April 2021. 

Tough choice, I've been on both and both ships are very similar and I loved them both. I'd choose  between the ports of call and I'm partial to which every goes to St Kitts over San Juan just for the water activities there

44 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

Both will be going to Coco Cay or Labadee.   For both we would be in a balcony.  Both would be 7 nights.  We are beach people, so as long as there is a beach, we are fine regarding ports.  1 is going to St Kitts.  1 is going to San Juan.  I am good with either.  Both would be in April 2021. 

Just an FYI... there are no APR 2021 Harmony sailings... she will be in her 5-year maintenance drydock all month. We had originally booked Harmony for APR 2021 a few months ago and they quickly cancelled our sailing (and all APR Harmony sailings) and moved me to Symphony in APR. We're now on the 4/24/21 sailing on Symphony...

If you're set on APR 2021, then you'll have to go with Symphony (out of the two). If you're looking at another month, I would think you would get a better price on Harmony compared to Symphony around the same time since Symphony is still the newer ship with the premium price tag. Also, take a look at the entertainment and restaurant offerings to see if that sways your opinion in either direction. Other than entertainment and food offerings (and decor/art), both ships are almost identical except that Harmony does not have a pool in the solarium. Symphony has Hooked Seafood and El Loco Fresh which are not on Harmony... Harmony still has Sabor, etc.

We originally booked Harmony since it was more convenient out of Port Canaveral vs. Miami (Southwest does not fly to Miami) and over $700 cheaper than the identical cabin on Symphony (for the 2 of us). 

As for the beaches, I can't comment on the difference between Coco Cay and Labadee. We were in Labadee last May with friends and booked a cabana so we never used the main beaches (access to water from cabana). We're going to Coco Cay for the first time since the reno next May on Oasis which doesn't help your decision!

Also, remember that Oasis was just amped and Allure will be amped in 2020... so these ships will have the latest and greatest offerings too in 2021! They will have Playmaker's Sports Bar & Arcade, Portside BBQ, Lime & Coconut Bar, etc., which are not on Harmony & Symphony...

Harmony is showing March 28th. 7 nights.  Hence I said April.  

If there is no solarium pool, than I am going Symphony.  I was leaning Harmony bc it is out of FLL.  Cabin prices were close to identical.  There are no AFT balconies on either cruise, and honestly I couldn't care less if we were in mid, aft or forward,

I absolutely hate flying in and out of Miami.  Pretty sad when I say I like Atlanta, O Hare or JFK airport over Miami, but Miami airport makes me go OH God No.  I do not know anyone that says yep, I want to fly in/out of Miami.

Part of us would love to go out of New Orleans or Puerto Rico, but the ships are not what we want for the cruise,

Food wise, we are okay with MDR.  We do specialties, but that is not a make or break.  We will do the Chefs Table on either.  

I am now really leaning toward Symphony.  Ports are: San Juan, Labadee, St.Thomas, and Coco Cay.  It is a couple hundred more, but yolo

@JohnK6404

We will be doing Oasis out of Cape Liberty next summer.    So it really is not on our mind.  Hubby has always wanted to do either Symphony or Harmony.  We have been to Coco Cay every yr for the past 4 yrs., and we love it (old version and new)  Never have been to Labadee.

Our big splurge will be the same on this one...at the very least a beach bed on their private island.  Plus, as I stated, the Chef's table.  If our TA throws in a dinner at a specialty, we will do it.  We are fine with the MDR.  

~ Personally, Wonderland is only worth it for 1 and done.  I don't care for Sushi, so unless Izumi has at least hot rocks, I am not going.  Chops is my favorite only because of the goat cheese salad.  I haven't been to Hooked yet, but I am pretty sure I won't die if I don't eat there.  Knowing us, we will do the UDP and the Chefs table.  However, even with the UDP, I can guarantee you on sea days we will still be in the MDR for the tutti salad.  The MDR for the lamb shank.

16 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

Harmony is showing March 28th. 7 nights.  Hence I said April.  

Gotcha! Makes sense... that is the last sailing before the drydock I'm assuming... not sure if that's a good thing! LOL!

I agree about sailing out of PR... when we've looked in the past, the airfare is so much more expensive from NY. It will be nice when Odyssey sails out of FLL to the ABC Islands instead of having to go to PR for that itinerary! That is on our radar! I believe Freedom is the newest and largest ship to sail out of PR right now.

I agree... we've always liked the MDR and usually sprinkle in specialty restaurants for lunch and maybe one or two dinners at most.

Oooo... like that itinerary with Labadee and Coco Cay! If you get the DBP,  you're all set! LOL!

11 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

@JohnK6404  Those are the ports.  We will still sail out of Miami.  We are not sailing out of PR.    It Maimi, Labadee, San Juan, St. Thomas and Coco Cay.  7 nights.

I understood that ☺️... I was referring to flying into PR to get on the ship (Freedom, etc.)... airfare too expensive compared to FL at least from NY.

Currently, all of the Oasis class ships only sail out of FL for the Caribbean... and NY next year (woo hoo) thankfully as you know!

We couldn't pass up the opportunity... will be fun to squeeze under the Verrazzano!

19 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

If you are beach people I think St Kitts is much a better option than San Juan.

9 hours ago, Floski said:

So, I've only sailed out of Port Canaveral, hence I've only driven down.

How do you all get flight costs for itineraries that are over a year in the future?

Best I can find is a couple of months out.

We usually don't book our flights until about 6-9 months out.  Part of us picking our dates includes not sailing when school is out, such as, Spring break.  We also choose ports that if the airfare is too high, we drive.  Typically we sail out of NJ or MD since we live in VA.  We have done Miami before, and will do it again now bc, although we love Bermuda and Coco Cay, we want to switch it up with the islands, and the ship.  

We have decided to do the Symphony.  A few reasons why.

1. Harmony does not have a pool in the Solarium.  As my hubby says, we are water babies, prefer the pool over the hot tub.   With 2 days of cruising, plus the fact that we leave all of the ports early (4 or so), knowing us we like to be back on the ship @ 90 mins prior.  So for that fact, it means we would be hanging in the Solarium a lot.

2. I have never been to OSJ, and everybody says it is a great port.  We would not go to the beach that day, instead to the old forts. 

3. Never been to Labadee.  We love Coco Cay, due to the fact it is a private island just like Labadee.  It is just the 2 of us, so at Labadee we will just get an open loungers.  Coco Cay we will do the beach beds.

4. St. Kitts was truly the only pull for me regarding Harmony.  However, the only week we could do was the last week of Mar., before she goes into dry dock.  I looked up Easter for 2021.  It happens to be April 4th.  That means bc we are flying.  The airfare will be high due to spring break.  We can go on Symphony April, or the 1st week of May.  Airfare should be a tad lower.  Even if it is not, our other thought was a few weeks later the air temp and water temp will be a tad warmer.  

5. Symphony offers a Spa ocean view balcony.  Did not see one on Harmony.  Have never done this, and still not sure we will, but it sounds like a great option.

We looked at Allure, Harmony and Symphony.  Only found Symphony to have that itinerary.

I agree @JohnK6404  that since we get the DBP,  going to 2 of the private islands equates to having to spend less money for food and bevs.  when in port. 

The final pull for Symphony was Labadee, whereas, Harmony only has Coco Cay.  I showed hubby pics of Labadee and the roller coaster.  He immediately said. Oh yeah, we are going to do that!  He also likes the idea that Labadee is so different than Coco Cay (terrain), but yet we still have a beach.  

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

We have decided to do the Symphony.  A few reasons why.

2. I have never been to OSJ, and everybody says it is a great port.  We would not go to the beach that day, instead to the old forts. 

I had to re-read that for a sec, as I thought you wanted to visit the local senior citizen center.... ?