Snacks?

JennyJenny

Reading through the live blog and checking the website and I see people bringing "snacks" on board?

What's the "snack" policy as far as what do they consider "snacks"?

I tend to like a square of dark chocolate at bed time...

I also like almonds as a healthy option versus chips or such.

I was wondering:

1. What kind of "snack" stuff is already there (I'll be on Grandeur if it makes a difference) that's complimentary? Cheese & crackers? Nuts? etc.

2. If they tend to not have snacks but more meal stuff, if there a policy like with the non-alcoholic/bottles of wine as to what you can bring on with you?

Just curious. I hadn't really thought about it but I often bring my almonds and dark chocolate with me when I travel. I am 152 days out so starting to think about packing and planning and such. I know that probably seems like a long ways out to some folks but with my life and how busy I am, I need to grab pockets of time such as over the holidays when I am home a bit to get that stuff done or I get overwhelmed at the last minute because I have run out of time.

You won't find nuts on the ships anywhere, I've looked.  We're plant-based, and use nuts as a heavy source of protein.  I did see walnuts on a recent Celebrity sailing - I was very excited!! 

There are places to score "snacks" you just have to look for them.  Lunch in the Park Cafe/Solarium Cafe you'll often find bagged potato chips at the salad station.  In the mornings, look at the museli/omelet area in the Windjammer, you'll find dried fruits.  In the evenings in the windjammer, there is a sundae station with hard ice cream - you'll often find chocolate chips.  The trick is to find what you like, and make a bowl/plate and bring it back to your cabin for later.  You can put together some great options if you're vigilant.  ? 

40 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I don’t think there’s really a “policy” except the items should be unopened when you bring them onboard.  I don’t know how fully they enforce that “rule”.

Some of our stuff was opened and we had no issues.  Maybe we got lucky!

2 hours ago, MO & LO on the go! said:

We have brought popcorn, trail mix, dried fruits.  No problems.  From our experience you won't find "snack" type foods like these anywhere for free.  You can buy them onboard though......better clear out the bank account to afford them ?.  You could also buy them in shops at ports too.

I was wondering about that. My gut was telling me simple stuff like a bag of chips or nuts might be ridiculously over priced on the ship.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I don’t think there’s really a “policy” except the items should be unopened when you bring them onboard.  I don’t know how fully they enforce that “rule”.

Unopened makes sense. I saw on the current Grandeur live blog, the poster had turned the shelves behind one side of the mirror into a snack cabinet and that's what prompted me to ask!

1 hour ago, Zeashore said:

We can't do without the evening dark chocolate either and bring our own.  ….agree with the 'clean out the bank account' comment.  LOL.

Never occurred to me they wouldn't have simple dark chocolate with the amount of food you hear folks talk about on the ship! Sounds like I definitely need to bring my own chocolate stash!

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

You won't find nuts on the ships anywhere, I've looked.  We're plant-based, and use nuts as a heavy source of protein.  I did see walnuts on a recent Celebrity sailing - I was very excited!! 

There are places to score "snacks" you just have to look for them.  Lunch in the Park Cafe/Solarium Cafe you'll often find bagged potato chips at the salad station.  In the mornings, look at the museli/omelet area in the Windjammer, you'll find dried fruits.  In the evenings in the windjammer, there is a sundae station with hard ice cream - you'll often find chocolate chips.  The trick is to find what you like, and make a bowl/plate and bring it back to your cabin for later.  You can put together some great options if you're vigilant.  ? 

I have heard some folks bring small ziploc containers and get some stuff for later from the Windjammer. But I am pretty sure I don't have a fridge so would be limited to the dried fruits or such.

7 minutes ago, ptod said:

The only snack policy should be bring enough to share!  :4_joy:

j/k but we made new friends when we had an extra mini bag of pretzels at the R bar on Rhapsody.....I wasn't nice enough to share my mini package of mixed nuts.....that would have been nutz!

Oh! That's a lovely idea! I am a single sailer so I should bring some to share as that may help make some friends ? Good suggestion!

I'd have to go back to my cabin tour periscope to be sure, but I'm 90% sure that we had a chiller in the cabin on Grandeur.  We had an aft-facing balcony.  It was tough to fit our plates of cheese and meats (afternoon balcony snacks to go with our wine, books, and naps) but we managed.  I've brought ziplocs too, but found that the snacks didn't last long enough to warrant carrying them with us. 

My sister drove down to Ft Lauderdale from NC for one of our family cruises, she had a carryon that was full of snacks that her and her husband ate while driving down, she did not want to leave them in the hot car for the whole week.  I can tell you that we do bring a few things onboard such as good chocolate, and some nuts, and trail mix.  We do not get crazy with it especially since there is so much available onboard.  We were in the gift shop a few years ago and saw a normal sized tube of Pringles that was going for $5.99 that is what made us realize how crazy things like that were onboard and we started bringing small snacks to avoid the sticker shock.