What to do in San Juan?

Ticca

On 11/24/2019 at 12:09 PM, Ticca said:

Kids, 16 and 14, want to do something fun in San Juan.  In-laws want to walk to town and have lunch.  DH will take the kids, I will take in-laws.  Any suggestions for us?  BTW...it's our first cruise!

Congratulations !  I know you will have a ball. SJ is a great port.  Just walk around and take it all in.

8 hours ago, Ticca said:

Kids, 16 and 14, want to do something fun in San Juan.  In-laws want to walk to town and have lunch.  DH will take the kids, I will take in-laws.  Any suggestions for us?  BTW...it's our first cruise!

Your ship will port on the South end of the most history packed concentrated area in the Western Hemisphere.  There are two world class forts, the oldest churches in the west and a million other historic sites with in a 15 minute walk.  There is plenty of shopping and restaurants, including a Senor Frogs right across the street from the dock.  You can make San Juan a beach day, but there will likely be better beach days on your cruise.  You can make it a tour day (Bacardi Distillery or the rain forest, ect), but with all you have right in front of you, there is no need.  

My recommendation is once you finish at Senor Frogs, walk directly West on the outside of the wall (it is a walled city, but the Eastern half of the wall has been removed).  Once you curve around the wall you will see the city gate which is how the city was entered for centuries.  Once inside the gate it's 2 blocks up the hill to an amazing Catholic Church (and by the way, I'm no fan of the Catholic religion, but this place is awesome).  It's open all day long and contains the grave of Juan Ponce De Leon.  Once out of the chuch head up the hill North and West until you see the El Morro.  What a fort.  Even my teenage daughters liked it.  You can get ice cream and drinks about anywhere along the way.  It's a nice day.

Read up on it.  OSJ is a great place.  Find the sites you and your family want to see.  It's all in a 7 square block area.

Maybe your kids are a bit too old but I always had fun flying a chiringa (kite) by el morro. The wind is perfect for that and a lot of families do it. Check out the actual fort as well.

For the inlaws here is my yelp collection. I go to PR often as I have family there (not all the saved places are in Old San Juan) https://www.yelp.com/collection/5kmN9FhuYXPA7pB50HKGTA

Get a Pina Colada at Barrachina where it was first invented. You can pick any rum to go in your pina they have a lot of local option to choose from so dont stick with just bacardi.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Chelmsford26 said:

Thank you will take it slow.  Really sounds like a church she’d enjoy seeing.  

which church are you talking about? Because the one San Jose church is closed for reno but the San Juan Bautista Catedral is open. Also talk a walk through the Convento Hotel. Its very beautiful and right next door