#GTY (Guaranteed Room)

We are currently 35 days out GTY with no assignment. 

Our eDocs now show the deck but no room.

Our cruise is over the New Year and popular so it is probably fully booked and that could have some bearing.

I found out the bar code on the eDocs  has the room embedded. A bar code reader for your smart phone camera can decode the bar code. The last 6 digits or so are the deck and room number. Checking the deck plan, the bar code for our cruise appears to be the correct deck and room type is correct. I guess there is no guarantee until your bags are in the room but this bar code trick just might confirm your room before it becomes official.

We also have a GTY and are out 249 days yet.  This morning I purchased a photo package and just received a new Cruise Vacation Receipt.  It still shows GTY but now shows "Stateroom Obstruction 0%".  That was not on the last one I received.  Has anyone seen that before?  Sounds promising to me.  

On 11/27/2019 at 3:25 PM, Curt From Canada said:

The sample set is still too small to draw any conclusions.  However, I have taken up the challenge to assemble the data on GTY Assignment.  Send me any and all experiences and I will prepare the data set this weekend.

Never ask an Engineer what the data might tell us.

?

Curt from Canada

130 DAYS OUT, got room assignment on interior GTY

On 11/24/2019 at 2:37 PM, Ditchdoc said:

I found out the bar code on the eDocs  has the room embedded. A bar code reader for your smart phone camera can decode the bar code. The last 6 digits or so are the deck and room number. Checking the deck plan, the bar code for our cruise appears to be the correct deck and room type is correct. I guess there is no guarantee until your bags are in the room but this bar code trick just might confirm your room before it becomes official.

I just tried this and for our cruise (76 days out) it is giving us a room number of 6714, but when I search the cabin it says it sleeps up to 3 people and we have 4, so I am pretty sure that can't be our cabin.

Yea, not a fan of the bar code approach. Keep in mind, RC and Travel Agents are going to be pushing to fill the cruise, and obviously the lesser expensive rooms are usually easier to sell especially as the sailing date gets closer. This means they might bump people up (i.e. deck, location, and even room type) who purchased rooms earlier to make room for the new reservations. RC is trying to maximize profits, so by not giving you a room # give them the freedom to shift things around. Plus if you get bumped it feels like a bonus even though you did not know where you were originally.

The only way I've seen getting room # earlier is when you actually purchase a specific room (i.e. suites) or upgrade. I upgrade my GTY stateroom ~75 days out to a JR Suit directly thru RC and the agent gave me a choice of 2 rooms, so I knew the exact room# and it was listed on my receipt.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, sharpei888 said:

I just received a final receipt.  It shows obstructed percentage 0.  What does that mean?

Did you figure it out yet? We just did an upgrade balcony via GTY and it is supposed to be deck 6 or higher (per the RCCL agent on the phone), but only the Obstructed 0% is showing up on the receipt. I'm hoping it means getting a 'non-obstructed' view and/or signifies the Balcony vs an Ocean View room . .  because the Ocean view rooms can be below or at the level that the lifeboats are.